Sponsored

Collision Avoidance False Positives

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
My auto-braking has gone off a few times unexpectedly. I've noticed it tends to activate when approaching steep hills, or going through a curve with objects on the outside circumference. I wish it was more reliable, but I'd still rather have it than not.
Sponsored

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
Some of you guys are obviously having issues with a system NOT working correctly - as mine never goes off like any of these.
My wife has the same setup in her GC, my son has in his Jeep, those work fine, mine has never triggered.
So it's not like these are all bad - a few seem to be.
If they were all like some of you describe, then the forum would be filled with complaints - it's not. And many of us don't seem to have an issue with it - so it's not like the whole system is poorly designed or flawed in all Gladiators. A handful of you have issues with it, like a handful have steering issues, a handful have cluster display issues, a handful have HVAC issues.
It's not a systemic issue - it's an issue with a few.
I think I've identified he conditions when mine goes off - it's when I have my foot on the gas and I'm catching up to someone in front of me. the problem is that the system can't anticipate what the person in front is doing (e.g. speeding up, or turning - conditions where they will soon be out of the way). I guess that's where the human still beats the computer in anticipating the future traffic conditions, whereas the FCW system basically looks at what's happening at this second and takes a bunch of variables and thinks that a collision is possible if all variables remain constant. I also might be a little more aggressive/anticipatory in my driving than the system is happy with (though I'm a LOT calmer than I was when I lived in New Jersey). So far, with the FCW set to Near and still allowing braking hasn't had me stop in traffic, though I've gotten some warnings due to slow-pokes in front of me. :)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What I noticed about my ACC (different, I know, but sort of related) is that if someone cuts in front of me going the same speed or less, the cruise slows down. If someone slips in and is going FASTER and pulling away, the cruise doesn't slow me down.
It detects the speed difference even if the proximity is a bit closer than I have set.
Love it. Especially on I35 and more so on I80 with the crazy truck traffic and Iowa rubber-neckers when there are accidents in the far lane going the OTHER way.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Why anyone would want there vehicle to have this much control is beyond me. Turn it all off pay attention and drive defensibly.
No $hit, what a waste of $'s on a feature that you assume is going to take care of you. No body takes care of you, like you. At the same time I realize some JT's came with this and the purchaser may not have had a choice or read this forum on the existing problems with faults in this system. Glad I don't have this and a lot of other tech that I have read complaints about. the less tech in an off road vehicle, the better off it is (especially when fording) ha ha. Good luck on the fix

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
:CWL::LOL:

lifeofads-18-mental-crack-up-vintage-ads-vol-2-image-9-1209-1.jpg

1935 Plymouth Ad-03_0.jpg

1e7303a37c413c534fae929f67c264ac.jpg

afingrl-G.jpg

761ec6500a3edfaa87e45367a3dad287.jpg

e7616f69c4324ca48cf77a78589e7ebc.jpg

Vinatge-cigarette-ads-doctors-promoting-.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
What I noticed about my ACC (different, I know, but sort of related) is that if someone cuts in front of me going the same speed or less, the cruise slows down. If someone slips in and is going FASTER and pulling away, the cruise doesn't slow me down.
It detects the speed difference even if the proximity is a bit closer than I have set.
Love it. Especially on I35 and more so on I80 with the crazy truck traffic and Iowa rubber-neckers when there are accidents in the far lane going the OTHER way.
I have to try that ACC some time - hopefully I'll get to take a road trip some time.

Marx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Firecracker Launch Edition
Occupation
Education
After three false stops I just turned mine off, no need to worry with it. I also have a rack for fishing rods on my front bumper that gives it fits when they are in the holders. My subaru has eyesight forward detection that's kind of neat when on the highway, but really is more annoying as I find folks can't keep a steady speed and I just keep having to go around folks anyway. In sum the eyesight keeps me going at different speeds which isn't the speed I want for fuel economy. I'd imagine if I turned on the jeep system it would work similarly and be a pain too. If everyone used cruise I could see it being useful.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
After three false stops I just turned mine off, no need to worry with it. I also have a rack for fishing rods on my front bumper that gives it fits when they are in the holders. My subaru has eyesight forward detection that's kind of neat when on the highway, but really is more annoying as I find folks can't keep a steady speed and I just keep having to go around folks anyway. In sum the eyesight keeps me going at different speeds which isn't the speed I want for fuel economy. I'd imagine if I turned on the jeep system it would work similarly and be a pain too. If everyone used cruise I could see it being useful.
Must not be a lot of truck traffic around some of you folks. Here, with our hills and all the trucks - sometimes a half dozen semis to every car or two on the road, there's no way to achieve steady speeds. And even if everyone used cruise - LOL - right, each person would pick their view of the speed to drive, their cruise would vary up and down hills by even just 1 or 2 mph............
It ain't ever gonna happen in our lifetimes.

I LOVE the ACC - it's a necessity on the interstates around me. Otherwise you just can't even use cruise.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
T
Must not be a lot of truck traffic around some of you folks. Here, with our hills and all the trucks - sometimes a half dozen semis to every car or two on the road, there's no way to achieve steady speeds. And even if everyone used cruise - LOL - right, each person would pick their view of the speed to drive, their cruise would vary up and down hills by even just 1 or 2 mph............
It ain't ever gonna happen in our lifetimes.

I LOVE the ACC - it's a necessity on the interstates around me. Otherwise you just can't even use cruise.
there are too many “snow birds” in Florida that make a right hand turn from a stop directly into the fast lane crossing 3 lanes of traffic. My Gladiator decelerates quickly and immediately accelerates hard. This will be an issue where I get rear-ended or the guy behind me does. Also, these same idiots will cross from the fast lane to exit the interstate without any care as to who or what is around them. I’ll just leave ACC off for now.

salvino

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GC Trailhawk/ 2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE
Occupation
Finance Guy
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone had any false positives with the Collision Avoidance System? @JeepCares, this is a rather serious safety issue. I've had three false positives where the brakes engaged for a full-sstop.

The first was in a parking garage, which is pretty cramped, but for some reason, an open area triggered the Collision Avoidance System and slammed on the brakes. That was irritating, but not a big deal. i go in and out of this garage daily without any alerts.

The next two incidents could have caused an accident. I was going southbound on the Fort Pitt Bridge (in Pittsburgh), which consists of three or four lanes of constantly merging and shifting traffic, pretty hazardous on its own. My lane cleared up a bit, so I stepped on the gas. I can't imagine I was going over 30 mph. Immediately, the Collision Avoidance System slammed on the brakes, even though there was no one even close! Irritated, I hit the gas again, and it slams on the brakes, AGAIN! So here I am on a really busy bridge, during rush hour, and I've just slammed on the brakes twice. I was extremely fortunate that I wasn't rear-ended. Before, I've had audible warnings from the system on this bridge when there wasn't anybody within collision distance.

I now have the Collision Avoidance System set to "Near," which makes me concerned that I won't have as much warning as before. I almost turned the system to "Notify Only" which then removes the "protection" during a real emergency.

Has anyone else experienced this?
I had the same issue. The sensitivity can be reduced in the settings. I like the feature but not the false activations. I reduced the sensitivity and haven't had it lock up but it still warns me occasionally when there is no real danger. I may reduce it even more to stop this. I have had several rigs with this feature none of which have been perfect but I can put up with a small amount of annoyance for the extra protection.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi @salvino, @Marx, @elarse1, @jhale1800, @MoultrieGladiator, @Tire Guy,

We are sorry to hear that you have concerns with your Gladiator auto-braking. I have found the following TSB. As the Customer Care Team, we are not mechanically trained and therefore cannot diagnose your vehicle or determine if this TSB applies. Please visit your servicing dealer for a proper diagnosis. Please send me a private message if you would like assistance while in service.

upload_2020-1-28_12-9-54.png

Darlene
Jeep Cares

MoultrieGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Occupation
Physician

We are sorry to hear that you have concerns with your Gladiator auto-braking. I have found the following TSB. As the Customer Care Team, we are not mechanically trained and therefore cannot diagnose your vehicle or determine if this TSB applies. Please visit your servicing dealer for a proper diagnosis. Please send me a private message if you would like assistance while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Wow thank you for the feedback Darlene! Will look into this.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
This has got to be the right TSB for this issue. Seems like there's finally an answer. Can't wait.

OP
OP
elarse1

elarse1

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Thanks! I'll take mine into the dealer!

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Thanks! I'll take mine into the dealer!
I look forward to any updates you may post here with the results after the TSB is applied.
Sponsored