Sponsored

How many remote keyless FOBs can be programmed to the Jeep at one time?

jlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S Max Tow, Punkin Metallic
Folks, does anyone know how man FOBs can be associated with the Gladiator? I remember we had a 2009 Honda Civic, and they said only TWO could be active at one time.
Can I do 3 or 4 fobs and have all of them work?
Sponsored

OP
OP

jlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for this - much appreciated... Now I just have to see if I can sweet talk the dealer to throwing in one or two additional (I doubt it, but...)

Whiteknight

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon,2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition White
Occupation
Sales CDJR
I think it's three. You may be surprised at how much a key will cost. Might be close to $200 with programing from the dealer. Good luck, your dealer can answer all these questions.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's three. You may be surprised at how much a key will cost. Might be close to $200 with programing from the dealer. Good luck, your dealer can answer all these questions.
Try higher than that........... even the GC fob is over that much by about 50%. I believe they told us $300 and something. Over 300 was last I heard on the Grand Cherokee - these have to be more.

I have three programmed to my 04 - but that's a different animal.

Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
A while back I inquired at my dealer where I purchased JT; about $220 (can't remember exact amount) for OEM ordered fob with the key cut to match your VIN, and $65 to program.

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Informational only: The dealer that we bought our JT from has a "...For Life" program where all of our oil changes and tire rotations are free, free towing for 100 miles to the nearest Jeep dealer, free loaner vehicles, etc. Literally, like 10 more perks for customers. One of the perks is 1 free key fob replacement during the life of the vehicle and the sign advertising this program lists that as a $490 value. I've never replaced a key fob but, coincidentally, my wife and I just spoke a few days ago about taking advantage of that option as we are moving cross country and going to miss out on all the other perks now. Hopefully, we're able to add the 3rd key fob to the JT and just keep it as a spare for the life of the vehicle?!?!?

Whiteknight

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon,2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition White
Occupation
Sales CDJR
8 keys can be programmed according to my parts/tech guy who found out by checking on a system that can run a check on the keys associated with a vehicle. We had 6 keys hooked up to our Ram plow truck. a key is under $200 programing might be $50 more.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I would say $300+ I know these push button start systems are stupid expensive. Don't have experience with FCA, but my prius was somewhere around $320-360 retail cost 4 years ago when one of my sets of keys got lost. Luckily I had the key replacement plan. Comparatively the cost for the Sienna key was only around $130 for the key and fob.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I spoke with my dealer. He said on the Gladiator, you can have 4 keys at the same time. The Max Care warranty allows up to 3 keys to be replaced. He also said a new key is $600!!!! He also mentioned that if you have BOTH keys broken/lost, they have to replace a TON of stuff (one computer, and a few others as well as the key --- something lik $3k-$4k).
Well, I'll be looking to see if some of the places around that advertise keys are any cheaper....

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I remember these days....round for the door and square for the ignition.
Same. First car was an old ford with a rust hole in the bottom of the passenger door big enough to reach up inside and unlock the door if you knew what to grab hold of and which way to push. Didn’t need a magnetic hide a key for emergencies. Just kept a spare ignition key duct taped under the dash in case I lost my keys. Never did, but figured I could reach inside the door to get in and use the spare square key to start the car and get home in a pinch. Being as it had a 30” long rust hole in the door, didn’t worry too much about someone trying to steal it. :giggle:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I remember these days....round for the door and square for the ignition.
Sort of depended - ignition key worked in ignition and door of some - round was trunk and glove box.
I have small bags of NOS AMC keys, and 2 or 3 of the extremely rare uncut 1970 only keys that have the script logo and the square head. One model year only and only until March when they switched keys. So I guess it was beginning of the 70 model year through February 1970 they used those keys. Square was ignition and door. Oval was glove box and trunk.
It was confusing when you worked as a mechanic and had to recall which company used which keys for the doors.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So I spoke with my dealer. He said on the Gladiator, you can have 4 keys at the same time. The Max Care warranty allows up to 3 keys to be replaced. He also said a new key is $600!!!! He also mentioned that if you have BOTH keys broken/lost, they have to replace a TON of stuff (one computer, and a few others as well as the key --- something lik $3k-$4k).
Well, I'll be looking to see if some of the places around that advertise keys are any cheaper....
Be EXTREMELY careful of buying "cheaper fobs" - there are good ones - don't get me wrong, but there's also a reason some are cheaper, too. I've run into that over the years with the Grand Cherokees we've owned.
I bought replacements that worked fine - but the range was very limited compared to originals, and I've bought replacements that couldn't be programmed in. I dealt with a security company (locks, safes, cars/trucks and more) and they said the same thing when I went to them with "non Jeep provided fobs" they said they'd try but can't guarantee results with non-OEM parts like that.
The ones I ordered most recently were a lot cheaper than dealer- but I was careful to not save 10 bucks and order the cheapest, too. (the originals were in Dad's pocket when he was killed by the sleeping driver - my brother worked hard to clean things up, but............) those replacements worked, but limited range. As long as you are 30 feet or so and can see it, they work.
Sponsored