RLD designs pic request

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
Sorry the sizes are so much different. But i'm wondering if this is the same rear window, but different door. Gen1 the side was parallel to the window, Gen2, its not.

Look at how much more distance there is from the top of the window to the side of the door? That's how much the whole cap was pushed out to more match the caps tontour. I think this matches the cab better than Alu-Cab.

upload_2020-1-21_14-24-44.png
vs.
upload_2020-1-21_14-25-19.png
I agree - love how this Gen 2 looks - much better than Alu-Cab! I have a Gator color matched Gen 2 coming (hopefully soon)!
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I agree - love how this Gen 2 looks - much better than Alu-Cab! I have a Gator color matched Gen 2 coming (hopefully soon)!
when you get it could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take a few specific photos and specific measurements for me?
=)

Spartan21

First Name
Nolan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, 03TJ
I’m very interested in this top. The website basically has nothing current about the top, our forum is really the only info I can find. Guess the best bet is to call them to get info or order.

remlemasi

First Name
Elmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Sorry the sizes are so much different. But i'm wondering if this is the same rear window, but different door. Gen1 the side was parallel to the window, Gen2, its not.

Look at how much more distance there is from the top of the window to the side of the door? That's how much the whole cap was pushed out to more match the caps tontour. I think this matches the cab better than Alu-Cab.
Good observation, and I'm sure that's the case. I'm not too bothered by it TBH.

I would also hazard a guess and Gen2 side doors are probably identical to Gen1, which is why it's still so tall. At least the side profile matches up now!

Sponsored

MeanMachine

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon JT
I’m very interested in this top. The website basically has nothing current about the top, our forum is really the only info I can find. Guess the best bet is to call them to get info or order.
Tom at Adventuremobile is great to deal with - give him a call

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
I agree the Gen2 looks better and I am disappointed in how the Gen1 looks, but not too much. I also hope they addressed the fit better to close some of the gap in the rear window. The new photos appear to show a better profile with the cab but it is hard to tell from those angles just how tall the Gen 2 is. It still looks higher than the hard top to me.

Having used mine for a month and one long road trip I can say that I really like this shell and its functionality. Over the decades I have had about 10 different truck shells (most fiberglass and one aluminum) and this RLD rig is far superior to any I have had. I am satisfied with this product.

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
RLD Design Generation 2 Gladiator Canopy on a Gladiator.
EBE1098D-B96C-4791-A19E-DC59E5BA9C0E.jpeg

1524D61D-6EE7-4AC7-A1F7-91BED19C296F.jpeg
C05FEC32-C408-4423-893A-970C0CBBAAE6.jpeg
This is back in front of the other options for me! Much closer to matching the trucks vertical window lines.

I still want to see one with an open soft top to make sure they're isn't contact, but I want the Gen 2 badly!

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now Steffen I’m not sure I would go that far....
i think the RLD matches the vertical angle of the cab better. not necessarily the overall look. don't worry i've not flipped or flopped yet. =) you see the 2 new alu-cab photos i posted on the tops forum @smlobx?

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
Received an email from Tom at RLD Design USA. He supplied some pictures and also I have posted copied an email that I think will be helpful and make a few people happy. Seems like RLD is stepping up and listening. Below is the email from RLD:

Thank you all for your interest in RLD Design canopies. To answer some questions:
1) We air-freighted one v2 canopy to test-fit and the first two shipments are on the water, but due to the freight timelines we will not have them until March. We had one shipment that was due by the end of January but the drayage firm in South Africa screwed up badly and that container has now been pushed to March as well.
2) We do understand that the v1 canopy may or may not have met customers’ expectations with fitment. We have actually gotten both very positive feedback, and some negative. We regret this is just the type of thing that occurs with R&D when developing a completely new product. We do want to be sure EVERY customer is satisfied though, so if any customers with v1 canopies are unsatisfied we are offering a completely free replacement to a v2 canopy. Please contact your dealer or us directly.
3) There has been some discussion around the material used in our canopies, and some confusion. The stainless steel we use is not the same stainless that is used in say, common stainless nuts and bolts. It is referred to as “Structural stainless”. The more common stainless most people are familiar with is too soft and not strong enough for our uses.
4) The Gladiator canopy weighs 170 lbs - about 15-20 lbs. heavier than the comparable aluminum canopy on the market, and significantly stronger. There are many other benefits of steel over aluminum as well, including repairability, no seam and weld fatigue, and much less frailty over time with stress due to vibration and shock.

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
More pictures of the RLD Gen2:
678A3FB8-DF23-4385-BA08-4CD480BD96E3.jpeg
727BE303-041A-4C94-98EE-4C6C1F2E3645.jpeg
2E0B5A6F-FEFB-4840-98FC-68A1C6AC5E28.jpeg
34A66B17-9283-45D0-97E9-57957370B402.jpeg
F58A53BE-715B-46EA-8EC0-9E4EACC5F36F.jpeg

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Received an email from Tom at RLD Design USA. He supplied some pictures and also I have posted copied an email that I think will be helpful and make a few people happy. Seems like RLD is stepping up and listening. Below is the email from RLD:

Thank you all for your interest in RLD Design canopies. To answer some questions:
1) We air-freighted one v2 canopy to test-fit and the first two shipments are on the water, but due to the freight timelines we will not have them until March. We had one shipment that was due by the end of January but the drayage firm in South Africa screwed up badly and that container has now been pushed to March as well.
2) We do understand that the v1 canopy may or may not have met customers’ expectations with fitment. We have actually gotten both very positive feedback, and some negative. We regret this is just the type of thing that occurs with R&D when developing a completely new product. We do want to be sure EVERY customer is satisfied though, so if any customers with v1 canopies are unsatisfied we are offering a completely free replacement to a v2 canopy. Please contact your dealer or us directly.
3) There has been some discussion around the material used in our canopies, and some confusion. The stainless steel we use is not the same stainless that is used in say, common stainless nuts and bolts. It is referred to as “Structural stainless”. The more common stainless most people are familiar with is too soft and not strong enough for our uses.
4) The Gladiator canopy weighs 170 lbs - about 15-20 lbs. heavier than the comparable aluminum canopy on the market, and significantly stronger. There are many other benefits of steel over aluminum as well, including repairability, no seam and weld fatigue, and much less frailty over time with stress due to vibration and shock.
Awesome update—thanks for sharing!
Sponsored