Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
More so to show that numbers do matter. I did include the thread to show taco owners saying overloading had bad consequences.

And people sometimes do need to overload. It can be inadvertently or because honestly, stopping your plans to go rent a proper size truck can be a bother. As with all my threads on such matters, I want to go by the posted numbers of the vehicle, let FCA bear the liability for them. But, I also want to know what my vehicle is CAPABLE of, not just what it SHOULD do. If I need to put 2000lbs in the bed plus me driving instead of 1250lbs plus me, I need to know what are the consequences of that before I decide to do it.
If I need to haul 2,000 pounds - I'll hitch up a trailer LOL.
I've already gotten the bed of this truck DIRTY - need to wait for the weather to clear and warm up so I can clean it out. Need to get one of those bed rug things or whatever.

In the next couple of weeks hope to head to Indiana and take an antique engine out to a friend and bring back a truck load of car parts.
The engine is a small one at 1.5hp so likely weighs only 300 pounds. (my largest is 7hp at 2,000 pounds)

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
If I need to haul 2,000 pounds - I'll hitch up a trailer LOL.
I've already gotten the bed of this truck DIRTY - need to wait for the weather to clear and warm up so I can clean it out. Need to get one of those bed rug things or whatever.

In the next couple of weeks hope to head to Indiana and take an antique engine out to a friend and bring back a truck load of car parts.
The engine is a small one at 1.5hp so likely weighs only 300 pounds. (my largest is 7hp at 2,000 pounds)
No trailer without a brake and I am still waiting for the oem.

Also, hooking up a trailer can be bothersome when compared to putting stuff in the bed. That is why folks get a truck instead of an SUV (for the weight ratings being comparable)

Somehow my tailgate (inside) has gotten scuffed (clearcoat scratches - fingernail doesnt get caught on the white lines). Only thing I have had in there are 27gal totes for putting groceries in. I should have glued some protective cover on the inside of the tailgate :angry:

Sponsored

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
I had about 800 pounds of bottled water in the back of the max tow last night. I was impressed by how little the suspension compressed compared to my F150.

I know the 800 pounds was only about half the load capacity, but I was amazed that I did not noticed any squat.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had about 800 pounds of bottled water in the back of the max tow last night. I was impressed by how little the suspension compressed compared to my F150.

I know the 800 pounds was only about half the load capacity, but I was amazed that I did not noticed any squat.
4 Rubicon wheels and Falken A/T tires in the back dropped mine about 1.5" - the empty trailer on the back another 1.5" or so inches. Final measurements yet to be taken - been pretty sick and the weather has sucked lately to get good measurements on even ground - but the tires I can say with certainty - whatever 4 tires and wheels weigh, it absolutely dropped mine at least 1.5", perhaps more once I move the truck to the exact spot I measured with the tires still in the back.
WXMan was correct when he said, and I quote - "Base Sport and Overland have the softest coils"

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
WXMan was correct when he said, and I quote - "Base Sport and Overland have the softest coils"
I'm going to load mine to just about the max in a few weeks. Will get some pics with a stick measure in them.

Will also make some videos pulling the Whaler once it get warm.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to load mine to just about the max in a few weeks. Will get some pics with a stick measure in them.

Will also make some videos pulling the Whaler once it get warm.
You have a Sport S - do you have max tow? If so it shouldn't squat much with the full payload.

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
You have a Sport S - do you have max tow? If so it shouldn't squat much with the full payload.
Yes. Max tow.

They F150 squatted a good amount at full load.

My 95 Tacoma was routinely loaded well above capacity and squatted quite a bit too. Then I noticed the frame rot one day. I was amazed that it did not fold in half.
Sponsored