First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Took my Gladiator on its maiden overlanding adventure last week to the Big Bend region of Texas. Venues included Pinto Canyon, Guale campsites and Road to Nowhere in Big Bend Ranch State Park, River Road East and West and Black Gap Road in Big Bend National Park, as well as a few other connector places. Video teaser is now online ...

Sponsored

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
Thanks for sharing. I can’t wait to get out there. Do you have a map of your trip?

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for sharing. I can’t wait to get out there. Do you have a map of your trip?
Yes and no. I don't generally give out .gpx files, if that's what you're asking. Sometimes they are commercially available, and I'll point one towards those resources. Other times, I place enough information online (road names, map images, permit agencies, etc) for my trips that it's easy for someone to plan something similar. I do this to encourage folks to do their own preparation, so that they secure the proper permissions for their travels, and should things go amiss (such as a fire or rock fall or flood or whatever), they are truly prepared through having proper map products on hand, and knowing what they've planned and what their alternatives are. You'll find the map images embedded in each day's video once the series is released. There are also copies on my public Facebook page in an album titled "Big Bend Explorations, January 2020". Finally, if you watch the video series with maps of the area handy, you should be able to pick out where we're traveling without too much trouble. Good luck. It's a great area to visit. Even if you deviate from what we did, you'll have a blast.

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Day 1 video is now online. It covers Marfa through Pinto Canyon to Riudosa, then over to Guale campsites in Big Bend Ranch State Park.

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Day 2 of Big Bend Explorations is now online. Guale campsites in Big Bend Ranch State Park to Tres Papalotes, with an out and back on The Road to Nowhere ...

Sponsored

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
Thanks for making time to share this! I can't wait to get back to Big Bend.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I've got a camp North of Terlingua and go out there several times a year. I've had Pinto Canyon road on my radar for some time, but never make the time to go in that way. Some day I'll make it happen!!

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I've got a camp North of Terlingua and go out there several times a year. I've had Pinto Canyon road on my radar for some time, but never make the time to go in that way. Some day I'll make it happen!!
Is that out in the Terlingua Ranch area (Hen Egg Rd/North County Rd)?

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that out in the Terlingua Ranch area (Hen Egg Rd/North County Rd)?
Yes, I've got 160 acres on Terlingua Ranch, in the Solitario division. I'm just a short walk to the Masada Ridge area of BBRSP. My camp is 15 miles as the crow flies from BBRSP Sauceda HQ, but over 90 long miles to drive there. Because of that, I have only been there a few times. I have been planning to make some overnight trips to BBRSP, and plan to leave some spike camp supplies at my camp to facilitate this, just need the right group of people to make it happen.
They call BBRSP "The other side of nowhere" for a reason!

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Thanks for the videos Mark. Looking forward to see the rest.
We are going in April and can’t wait.

What comms are you using? GMRS?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the videos Mark. Looking forward to see the rest.
We are going in April and can’t wait.

What comms are you using? GMRS?
On this trip everyone used GMRS. Bill (4Runner) was using a handheld unit. The rest of us had mobile units. Mine was the Midland MXT-275.

All the video series is now online. I must have forgot to update this thread. Here is the playlist ...

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I've got 160 acres on Terlingua Ranch, in the Solitario division. I'm just a short walk to the Masada Ridge area of BBRSP. My camp is 15 miles as the crow flies from BBRSP Sauceda HQ, but over 90 long miles to drive there. Because of that, I have only been there a few times. I have been planning to make some overnight trips to BBRSP, and plan to leave some spike camp supplies at my camp to facilitate this, just need the right group of people to make it happen.
They call BBRSP "The other side of nowhere" for a reason!

It sounds like you are close to what I call the "Top of the World". This is just across the ridge from the state park. I love that spot and I love going up Christmas Mountain too. Do you know the story of the rusty mobile home on the way out to the northwest corner of the ranch?

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like you are close to what I call the "Top of the World". This is just across the ridge from the state park. I love that spot and I love going up Christmas Mountain too. Do you know the story of the rusty mobile home on the way out to the northwest corner of the ranch?
I don't know the story of the mobile home. There are a lot of dilapidated trailers/structures out there.

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I don't know the story of the mobile home. There are a lot of dilapidated trailers/structures out there.

Looking south from the "Top of the World"
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator's Maiden Overlanding Adventure--Big Bend of Texas 2018 bb (521).JPG

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator's Maiden Overlanding Adventure--Big Bend of Texas top of the world ma

This is the trailer I was talking about. The story I heard was that it was a hunting camp for one of Carol Shelby's partners and it was brought in with a helicopter. It's near the Top of the World, so there is a lot of bumpy dirt road from Terlingua to get to this spot.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator's Maiden Overlanding Adventure--Big Bend of Texas P1070601.JPG

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
We've tried to connect up a route from North County to South County Roads. The last time I had a good .gpx file, but that was when we learned it was private property. Since I make videos of my travels, I didn't want to share us trespassing. Also, I wouldn't want to have a bunch of people who saw my videos head out there. So, we skipped that this last trip. However, the two previous times I was out there, we hit Terlingua Creek wet both of them. It never occurred to me it could be dry! But, agree, Terlingua Ranch is a really pretty area. Look on your map at how close Top of the World is to Tres Papalotes, where we camped!
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator's Maiden Overlanding Adventure--Big Bend of Texas West Texas Traverse, Oct 14, 5_6815, Hen Egg Road
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator's Maiden Overlanding Adventure--Big Bend of Texas West Texas Traverse, Oct 14, 5_6821, Horses on Hen Egg Road
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator's Maiden Overlanding Adventure--Big Bend of Texas West Texas Traverse, Oct 14, 5_6900, Hen Egg Road

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator's Maiden Overlanding Adventure--Big Bend of Texas West Texas Ramble, Dec 13, 5_3005, Terlingua Creek along Hen Egg Road
Sponsored