Sponsored

Spare parts?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
What spare parts do folks carry when overlanding? I see axle shafts break, and knuckles, joints, etc. When rock crawling I have even seen a driveshaft break (like a cv joint) but I dont rock crawl and so my main concern is what parts for the long trips.

One front and rear axle shaft?
Driveshaft boot and cv joint?
Control arm?
Steering stabilizer/adjustment/drag links?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What spare parts do folks carry when overlanding? I see axle shafts break, and knuckles, joints, etc. When rock crawling I have even seen a driveshaft break (like a cv joint) but I dont rock crawl and so my main concern is what parts for the long trips.

One front and rear axle shaft?
Driveshaft boot and cv joint?
Control arm?
Steering stabilizer/adjustment/drag links?
Which front and which rear axle? The front left and right are different - perhaps the rear left and right are different too on these. On many other vehicles there's a distinct left and right rear axle, maybe there is with the JT, maybe not?
But there would be with the front axle disconnect.
Damn, axles are heavy!
Are you really going to bust or bend a control arm?
A drag link? That's a large heavy long part.
How about a track bar?
A person would soon weigh their truck down with the whole payload weight in spare parts if not careful, then all the tools needed to replace each and every part you carried, the jack(s).......... water, fuel, oil, coolant..........
Are you going to be overlanding or what? More of a long-term Lewis and Clark thing?

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which front and which rear axle? The front left and right are different - perhaps the rear left and right are different too on these. On many other vehicles there's a distinct left and right rear axle, maybe there is with the JT, maybe not?
But there would be with the front axle disconnect.
Damn, axles are heavy!
Are you really going to bust or bend a control arm?
A drag link? That's a large heavy long part.
How about a track bar?
A person would soon weigh their truck down with the whole payload weight in spare parts if not careful, then all the tools needed to replace each and every part you carried, the jack(s).......... water, fuel, oil, coolant..........
Are you going to be overlanding or what? More of a long-term Lewis and Clark thing?
Understood: need to buy a JT and drag it behind me on a trailer.

Im just daydreaming. More like the later of the scenarios. Long trek, taking months of travel through rough roads/trails (but not rock crawling in the traditional sense)

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Maybe I’m foolish, naive, old fashioned, or brave. Going on a long trip, I don’t stock up on a lot of parts. I check everything closely before leaving for anything that may need replaced soon and pack extra water and fluids to limp it to safety or a shop if the need arises. Of course there is the “duct tape and bailing wire” box with me that keeps some emergency repair supplies (like said duct tape and bailing wire, hose clamps, fuses, 12 & 14 gauge wire and butt connectors to fix wire shorts or breaks) and a variety of different pliers and wrenches just in case. Things break some times but you aren’t taking a nascar or dragstrip pit trailer with you to have enough parts to build a whole new truck. I seen one video of a guy that broke an upper ball joint? and managed to use a ratchet strap, wire and a screwdriver to limp back to the main road where a tow truck could get to him. Yes, it would be nice to swap a few parts and go on but sometimes adding all the extra parts can make the trip LESS enjoyable when you don’t need them.

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
The most I have ever carried as far as spare parts are concerned has been a tire patch kit, rtv, J-B weld, and a spare differential cover. Even with nice solid differential covers I have managed to crack one before. Throwing a stamped sheet metal one in the back really doesn't weigh me down any.

in addition to that I always carry a couple of quarts of motor oil, and enough gear lube to do one differential.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent ideas on wire and fluids!

I guess a bottle of power steering and brake fluid should also be kept in case a line gets damaged.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I take fluids - ATF (if auto) PS fluid, engine oil, brake fluid (you may tangle and rip a brake line) gear lube, that sort of thing. I take hose clamps, nut drivers, wire so if I need to hold something back out of the way or together, duct tape. Some of the stuff others have mentioned.
I also take some pieces of old inner tube. You can clamp that over lines and hoses to help slow or seal leaks, too.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I've seen tires sidewalls ripped, a control arm fail, a drag link break, a track bar bend, a water pump spill its guts while tearing up the serpentine belt, and on and on in my 268,000 miles on my JK. So, which of those parts do you suppose I should carry because someone I was with had some type of failure? Carrying large spares of low-chance-of-failure hardware just isn't practical. That's why many world travelers choose to drive Land Rover Defenders and Toyota trucks: You can pick up spare parts almost anywhere on the planet.

For the rest of us, limping the vehicle to help with trail repairs is our best option. And I've seen a limb that was lashed to a broken drag link, whittled a stick to replace a lost caliper bolt, realigned a Jeep front end to compensate for bent rods, and on and on. The only time I really felt I wasn't carrying necessary spares was the time I ripped open a tire sidewall, and realized I had nearly 400 off-road miles to go--with no spare tire! And that's why on certain adventures I do carry a second spare now. And a more complete tire repair kit than what almost everyone else does, specifically this one ...

https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/the-ultimate-puncture-repair-kit/

Pick up an inner tube, and with that kit's sewing tools, you can get virtually any damaged tire to hold air so you can limp back to support.

Other spares I carry are an old wiper blade; an old serpentine belt; a quart of motor oil (between that oil and the water you're carrying, you could cobble together something that would let you limp out in the event of a fluid loss--just be aware of the likely repair consequences of that); miscellaneous bolts, nuts, washers, etc; electrical parts such as fuses, wire, etc; bailing wire; nylon and manila rope; F4 tape (http://www.f4tape.com/); duct-tape-from-hell (strongest that 3M makes). If I need anything beyond that, then that's why I'm traveling with a buddy, or along a busy area where I know someone will be along before too long.
Sponsored