First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Great execution and documentation, Dan, thanks for taking the time to document your upgrades!

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Here's how I built my bed rack...

This is the "Tonneau Brackets" story...

So I originally purchased 4 of the @Max Modular Bed Rack Tonneau Brackets but it seems that my purchase of 4 of them caused the good folks there to re-think their sales of them. To be clear, their website offered them to "test" the fit of the bracket on the Buyer's truck (Gladiator, Toyota, other trucks). They expected customers to only buy one but I bought needed and bought four. And they asked me what I'm doing with them - why I bought four of them.

brackets-3-jpeg.jpg

I realized the upper brackets would work best with 8 of the @Max Modular Bed Rack Tonneau Brackets so I tried to buy 4 more. But they changed their offering and they now only sell the brackets individually with no holes in them - what they call the
MAX Modular Bed Rack Tonneau Cover Single Test Bracket:

max-test-bracket-for-tonneau-covers-jpg.jpg

So now the only option they offer on their website is to buy the Tonneau Brackets with their other brackets - what they call their @Max Modular Bed Rack Tonneau Brackets...

screen-shot-2020-02-11-at-10-35-25-am-png.png

Per their website:
These handy little brackets allow you to use your bed rack with most tonneau covers.
Rated for RTT's.
Raises the overall height of the bed rack by 2.5”.
Black textured powder coated.
Kit includes four attachment clips, four brackets, and mounting hardware.
$150.00 for 4 sets

I wish and hope they'll sell only the Tonneau Brackets to the market. I understand they're a business and they're doing what they think is best for them. And I'm sure they want their customers to buy more of their products (Racks). They didn't ask me for my opinion but I suggest they sell as many of these Tonneau Brackets while they can before someone else "builds a better mousetrap" and the potential for them to sell these brackets has gone away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
And here's the info on the "Upper Brackets"

I did a lot of online research into racks. As I noted above, I wanted a high quality rack that would be attractive and meet my needs for being able to carry more gear on my off roading ("overlanding") trips. I looked at all kinds of bed racks on all kinds of pickups and vehicles. I researched the Toyota Bed Rail and all the things people did to use them as our Gladiator Trail Rails are almost identical which is great for us (we can see and learn from what others have done).

I found Compact Camping Concepts and their "NO WELD TRAILER RACK TOWERS - COMPACT CAMPING TRAILERS" - it was clear to me that their brackets could not only work but I hoped they'd enable me to roll up the factory Tonneau Cover all the way. I didn't know if it would work but I gave it a try. And based on their website and others I've seen, their brackets WILL work with Roof Top Tents (RTT) as you can see here...

1aa-nwa-sukhpreets3-ovo5dot7_1024x1024-jpg.jpg

Here's their bracket on their webpage and a link:

tower2_1024x1024-jpg.jpg

https://compactcampingstore.com/products/no-weld-trailer-rack-towers?variant=392017838101

It was interesting to me that they could sell 4 of their brackets for $89.00 versus other ;) suppliers (name withheld :angry: )

Here's another pic of how folks are using their brackets...
jordanc1_1024x1024-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here are my pics...

brackets-1-jpeg.jpg

Note: I bought 4 of their brackets that were "seconds" - they were in excellent condition and I was OK with them as I was going to paint them anyway. I drilled out the 4 mounting holes to fit the â…ś" stainless steel bolts for the stainless steel T-Bolts (for the Trail Rail), cleaned them up, wiped them down with Acetone and then I sprayed them with Rustoleum Automotive Primer (fast-drying) and then finished them with the Rustoleum Metallic Black ("Galaxy") spray paint.

Below: Here's a pic of the brackets as I received them before drilling the holes (let me know if you need any tips on this). You can also see the steel flat bar stock I bought at Home Depot which I used for the CO2 tank installation...
brackets-2-jpeg.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest, I lucked out! The combination of these brackets allows me to completely roll up the factory Tonneau Cover - it just fits under the Superstrut cross rails - it's exactly what I hoped for and I'm really pleased with how this rather involved project turned out (better than even I expected).

bedrack-22-jpeg.jpg

bedrack-13-jpeg.jpg

One more pic of the Tonneau Cover rolled up...

brackets-1-1-jpeg.jpg

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's the "Roof Rack Top Cargo Carrier Basket" I purchased after researching them online (some of these baskets/racks are expensive and some are super expensive).

This one is a great size for what I wanted - it's 53 inches long by 43 inches wide. The quality of this thing is excellent. It apepars to be very well made, the finish is really good (painted black). The size is good - I'm happy with the length and my only wish is that it was a bit wider but it's a good size for my needs.

Note that the wind deflector is easily unbolted and removed. The brackets are high quality as is the hardware that comes with it.

It was $135.88 on Amazon - such a deal :handsinair: for a quality product with excellent ratings.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y4GLGDN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61mmevde-ol-_sl1200_-jpg.jpg

I wiped it down with acetone, sprayed it with primer and then with the Rustoleum Metallic black ("Galaxy") paint. It wasn't nearly as bad to spray paint as I thought it might be. I masked off the hardware (threads on the U-bolts and the nuts) and everything now matches...

cargobasket-1-jpeg.jpg

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
You Sir have a lot of patience LOL. It looks great, good job! I like how you can take it off easily while you are not overlanding... Yeah the basket looks nice has a bit of a retro feel to it.

I am just waiting for the rack by Maximus, cuz that is what I like and have zeroed in on and I am sure it will cost me a pretty penny. Also, that will end up being a permanent fixture on my JT I suppose as it won't be easily removable like yours... I am beginning to think that after I am done with my mods I might have to purchase another vehicle to cruise around town haha...

I can't wait to see what you put in the back seat area after your seat delete... You have put in a lot of work into your truck, def looks unique!

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You Sir have a lot of patience LOL. It looks great, good job! I like how you can take it off easily while you are not overlanding... Yeah the basket looks nice has a bit of a retro feel to it.

I am just waiting for the rack by Maximus, cuz that is what I like and have zeroed in on and I am sure it will cost me a pretty penny. Also, that will end up being a permanent fixture on my JT I suppose as it won't be easily removable like yours... I am beginning to think that after I am done with my mods I might have to purchase another vehicle to cruise around town haha...

I can't wait to see what you put in the back seat area after your seat delete... You have put in a lot of work into your truck, def looks unique!
Thanks!

As for what's going in the back seat area (after I've removed the rear seats and put the platform in), it'll be a large Whynter 62-quart fridge/freezer that barely fits thru the Gladiator's rear door plus a small raised platform we put together for our Yorkie who goes on our off roading (o-landing) trips. The Whynter https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whynter...ne-Portable-Freezer-in-Gray-FM-62DZ/203569129 width takes up as much space as the â…” rear seat but there's additional space in front of it (behind the front passenger seat) and the rest of the backseat area - the â…“ seat behind the driver's seat, is clear space for more storage (we'll use it for our dry goods and backpacks with clean clothes).

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Loaded the Gladiator up for an off roading err uh, "overlanding" trip...

Cargo rack loaded with camping chairs, camp table, tent, etc. wrapped in a tarp and bungee-net tied down...

loaded-3-jpeg.jpg

Bed with gear - everything fit really well - better than I expected...

loaded-8-jpeg.jpg

Pic shows tonneau cover opened completely and bed loaded with 4 ActionPacker totes plus empty tote (I filled with firewood), 2 2.5 gallon water containers and a 5 gallon water container and the camping lantern...

loaded-12-jpeg.jpg

loaded-14-jpeg.jpg

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome job!

Flmthwr65

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator rubicon
All you need is some amp research side steps it will also give you a much better rock bars when folded. Favorite accessory I have put on mine. Great looking build.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
@Dan
My JT is still under construction on the assembly line but I am collecting the things I need to install once I receive it.
From your earlier post on TPMS, can you confirm the frequency for the TPMS?

TiA!
Sponsored