Trailer brake controller

TheNewWampsCat

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500
Now I know you’re saying not another controller question.... but I haven’t seen what I need to see yet. So I’m making a decision to go aftermarket and not wait for one. So the question is which controller did you go with and why? I’m leaning towards one that I hide the controller and have the knob on the dash. And really want it to be plug and play, or as close as I can get! Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for the help.
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The reason I went with this one ^^^ is because it was 100% plug and play (after a very simple swap of two pins in the Ram 1500 harness) and it only took up the space of a dime on the dash of the truck. Oh, and it is proportional OR user defined.

The Curt controller like this one is much larger and harder to find a place to mount.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I did the Redarc because I had it in my Tacoma and swiped it before the sale. I lied the size and made my own factory solution with help from posts and PMs with @NORDNDED and @KVJ. Just spent 1250 miles towing my new camping trailer and it did great the whole way.

864DB9E1-1E47-4D14-AD69-DD8974456381.jpeg
2CA433F6-EE06-4710-B936-1B311B8AC600.jpeg

OP
OP

TheNewWampsCat

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500
Thanks for the replies. The redarc is probably what I’ll be going with. And again thanks!

Sponsored

Combolc

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Toyota 4runner
Adding some more Redarc love.
Redarc for me, I have one on my 4runner as well as my JT and it works amazing. It can be mounted cleanly on the dash and looks factory as shown above. Redarc also has great support and the controller offers multiple braking modes. It's definitely worth the money.

I mounted mine in the blank where locker button would be

IMG_20191203_184232.jpg

IMG_20191022_212622.jpg

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Where did Jeep hide the factory brake controller plug? In a Max Tow truck anyone?

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Where did Jeep hide the factory brake controller plug? In a Max Tow truck anyone?

I believe it replaces the 12V accessory socket. So behind it. Dealer ordered mine last week when I bought my Gladiator. Waiting on arrival.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It‘s under the dash, near the brake pedal.

Jeep Gladiator Trailer brake controller 48FB2EE2-7EAE-4CC6-961F-36DBC9ACDF89
Jeep Gladiator Trailer brake controller E3191486-7A96-4E3F-99C0-FD9D1BEEEB6D

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info Jeff W.
I see it now, it replaces the 12v outlet and uses it's plug wiring for trailer brake controller, I was expecting a separate plug for it. ☹ I use my 12v outlet too. So I'm not pulling out factory 12v outlet, off to getting busy wiring in the other 12v outlets. I already wired up 2 in bed of Aux switch and planned on 2 more in cab off same switch plus a USB power port. I guess I need to hit up auto parts store (s) for few connectors. 12v fridge needs a stand alone plug anyway. I normally end up installing a few more outlets in most of my vehicles.
My confusion on that plug location really screwed up my project planning. Friday was my pickup concrete and land improvement. Yesterday was for JT stuff, today was to be follow up projects; mowing grass and cleaning up sheds, RV and bolting down new bunk boards for boat trailer. Damn vacation time go's fast and sucks with what's going on. I'd had this time off planned out in Dec.

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I believe it replaces the 12V accessory socket. So behind it. Dealer ordered mine last week when I bought my Gladiator. Waiting on arrival.
Not behind the 12v port, I had the dash all pulled out looking for a open plug, FYI Curt has a correctly wired adapter harness now with blocking diodes installed.... If using Curt.

Solemap

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
202 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Thanks for the info Jeff W.
I see it now, it replaces the 12v outlet and uses it's plug wiring for trailer brake controller, I was expecting a separate plug for it. ☹ I use my 12v outlet too. So I'm not pulling out factory 12v outlet, off to getting busy wiring in the other 12v outlets. I already wired up 2 in bed of Aux switch and planned on 2 more in cab off same switch plus a USB power port. I guess I need to hit up auto parts store (s) for few connectors. 12v fridge needs a stand alone plug anyway. I normally end up installing a few more outlets in most of my vehicles.
My confusion on that plug location really screwed up my project planning. Friday was my pickup concrete and land improvement. Yesterday was for JT stuff, today was to be follow up projects; mowing grass and cleaning up sheds, RV and bolting down new bunk boards for boat trailer. Damn vacation time go's fast and sucks with what's going on. I'd had this time off planned out in Dec.
There is a separate plug for the brake controller. Mine was taped to the wiring harness under the driver's side dash. It was on the far left above my left foot. I also installed the RedArc similar to Combolc's install.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Mine was tucked way up high, had to search. It helps if you remember that you can slide the seat all the way back to make more room. And remove that dash cover, it pops right out with some effort.

You need this harness, I had to order it from a trailer dealer and it took two days:

https://www.etrailer.com/p-3073-P.html

I'm using it with a Prodigy P2.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Paul; That's probably why I wasn't locating it I expected it near the center for easy connection the the vapor wear OEM one.
Carlos; Thanks I'd like to be able to move the seat back further with me driving it it's at rear position. That part # and link should help someone else looking. I have the Curt one already, but I wasn't locating that connector. Mine might have been extra wrapped up. The Aux switch can wiring was taped up across and back to center console then taped to other wiring.
A big part of reason I didn't find it, I was thinking about to many different projects at the time too probably.
Thanks again to all... I'll add photos for next one. First is the plug-in and other one is to show where it's located at close to left side fender.

IMG_20200507_163026.jpg

IMG_20200507_163035.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: