Alaska

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Oh to add: I work out of the MEA building in ER. You will usually see my Glady parked in front, so if you ever feel like stopping by...
Oh right on I'm an MEA customer of course living out there. I was very surprised we had power all last night. MEA does a great job I was very impressed after the earthquake to have power back the same day. Was that your truck going to ER yesterday afternoon around 2:15? There's so few of us it's cool to see each other on the road.

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
Oh right on I'm an MEA customer of course living out there. I was very surprised we had power all last night. MEA does a great job I was very impressed after the earthquake to have power back the same day. Was that your truck going to ER yesterday afternoon around 2:15? There's so few of us it's cool to see each other on the road.
Most of us office folks had the day off, so I stayed home mostly. I did head out for food, hung out at Guitar Center, and just drove around in the Jeep. The line-men were a busy bunch though. Lots of snow & wind related outages further out towards the valley.

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
I am planning my trip up to Alaska this summer, what do you do about bear prevention and food in your fridge/pantry, trash and cooking in/out of your trailer?

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
I am planning my trip up to Alaska this summer, what do you do about bear prevention and food in your fridge/pantry, trash and cooking in/out of your trailer?
For bear prevention I carry bear spray, but I also have a 10mm Glock. I got the glock because it was easier to carry when I used to mtn bike a lot, and it was the "bear" minimum :). People say a shot gun with slugs is best. Make sure you make lots of noise if you're hiking or biking in the woods, just so you don't surprise a bear. If there is a camp host or ranger station close by, check in and ask about bear activity too. Of all the years camping, we've had maybe 3 or 4 bears wandering through our camp site during the night.

As for storing food: some of the campgrounds here have metal food lockers for storing food. I have a travel trailer, so keeping food inside was never an issue (knock on wood). I'll put the bbq away if I leave or turn in for the night. If a storage locker isn't available, I would put your food in a bag and hoist it up into a tree away from camp. I'm not sure of the minimum safe distance though. A little common sense goes a long way.

Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
If you're driving you'll be very limited in what you can bring with you. I don't think you can even bring the higher strength capsicum sprays over the border. You can always buy it when you get in state though. There's a 3 Bears in Tok that is close to the border by our standards that will have everything you need. There have been a lot of studies done on what is effective and there have only been a handful of deaths from people who only used spray. People want to argue that all day but it's the truth that you might get mauled but the spray will eventually do it's thing and stop the bear. That being said I have different guns for different outdoor situations. My car/boat/camp gun is a massive .458 Lott. On my person it really depends on where I'm going and what I'm going there for. Lots of places in AK have no brown bears where a 9mm or .357 will do just fine. As far as cooking and food I keep things in a "bear proof" container/cooler. I quote it because I don't know how bear proof they are but that's what I'll use. Burn trash when you can. If you're in an established campground they should have appropriate trash receptacles. Look for a book called The Milepost it is a fantastic book for Alaska trips updated annually to let you know exactly what to expect on the roads up here.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
You can always look at how folks bring their guns to Alaska when they move. Alaska’s website even has helpful guidelines.

it is a problem I hope to one day have. Moving 50lbs of gun powder, tens of thousands of primers, and tons of projectiles (well, hopefully eventually) will be more difficult than the actual firearm

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
I planned on buying bear spray but didn't think/realize that crossing the boarder with it may be a problem as well. I would prefer to bring a sidearm but don't want issues with Canadian boarder crossing.

We plan to stay in as few campsites as possible more boon docking as possible.

I have bought the 2019 copy of Milestone and seems extremely informative and helpful but the bear thing worries me most, as I haven't spent much time in bear country especially in a capacity where I am expecting myself to be self contained/sufficient.

Would be awesome to meet up with you guys and have some locals show us some cool spots near Anchorage or else where.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
it is a problem I hope to one day have. Moving 50lbs of gun powder, tens of thousands of primers, and tons of projectiles (well, hopefully eventually) will be more
It used to not be that way. You used to be able to bring as much surplus powder as you wanted over the border. It's too bad. The good thing is we have Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. They have the national pricing on primers and powder although reloading in general seems less and less supported.

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I planned on buying bear spray but didn't think/realize that crossing the boarder with it may be a problem as well. I would prefer to bring a sidearm but don't want issues with Canadian boarder crossing.

We plan to stay in as few campsites as possible more boon docking as possible.

I have bought the 2019 copy of Milestone and seems extremely informative and helpful but the bear thing worries me most, as I haven't spent much time in bear country especially in a capacity where I am expecting myself to be self contained/sufficient.

Would be awesome to meet up with you guys and have some locals show us some cool spots near Anchorage or else where.
What kind of trailer are you pulling? If it's with the JT I've got to imagine something around the the size of an R-Pod. If it can handle some dirt road that'll open your camping opportunities a little more. I know traveling with a long gun is easier over the borders, look into that. I'd not feel under-gunned with a can of spray and a good hunting rifle at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
I'm not sure if this is going to work, but this is a timelapse of me driving Hatchers Pass towing a Rpod. I've also traveled Denali Hwy and part way to Kennicot mine with the pod. So... your little trailer should be fine as long as you take your time.

South Rolly Lake

Chitina towards Kennicot

K'esugi Ken Campground

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
Shoot me a friend request and you can browse my photo albums of all the camping trips I've done over the years...do a search for "Ben Tuazon"

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Jt rubicon will be pulling a little guy mini max. It has pretty decent clearance except for the black tank drain port.
You got me jealous I love little tear drops. I don't have a trailer yet that's going to be a '22 or '23 purchase. But Kennicott is the one place I'd really recommend but it is a rough long slow dirt road. The Kenai Peninsula is called Alaska's playground for good reason. You can pull a trailer a short ways into Denali park. How long are you looking to visit?

OP
OP
Bacstar

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Analyst
You got me jealous I love little tear drops. I don't have a trailer yet that's going to be a '22 or '23 purchase. But Kennicott is the one place I'd really recommend but it is a rough long slow dirt road. The Kenai Peninsula is called Alaska's playground for good reason. You can pull a trailer a short ways into Denali park. How long are you looking to visit?
I wanted to get a little tear drop when I was shopping around a few years ago. Nothing in the way of dealers up here selling them. ABC RV in Anchorage had a couple mini travel trailers but not tear-drop shaped for like $12-13k. hehehe didn't help that they had a bunch of Rpods though which had me thinking "for a few thousand more, I could get something more worthwhile and comfortable." I ended up with the R182G... glad I got it. It gets me out of the house to check out the awesomeness of Alaska a few weekends each month in the summer. :)

KOH just outside of Valdez AK

Camping Setup.jpg
Sponsored