Front splash guard removal?

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Has anyone removed the front splash guard...the plastic piece under the front bumper on Sport and Sport S that mimics a skid plate? If so do you hav pics? What purpose does this serve. TIA
Sponsored

Mightytalldude

First Name
Rob aka MTD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GCM Sport S, 6spd manual, subtle mods.
Occupation
Retail Management Hell
It's more for aerodynamics than protection. Two bottom screws and pin clips along the bottom of the bumper to remove. I took it off briefly when removing the Euro airdams on my Sport S, and put it back on only for light protection. I'll eventually replace it with a metal skid plate when I replace the factory plastic front bumper with a steel Mopar unit.

OP
OP
Incommando

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I figured its purpose was either aerodynamics or splash protection for the engine compartment. I think I am going to pull it to see how it looks. I kind of like having the front axle exposed and if MPG was my main concern I wouldn’t have lifted it and put heavy mud terrain tires on it.

OP
OP
Incommando

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Follow up: I took it off to remove & cut down the air dams between the bumper and the fender. There is a cross member and other metal underneath it and removing did not improve the looks as I had hoped. So I put it back on.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Air dam - not splash guard. It's to prevent air from hitting the suspension, steering and structure and it literally is like another wall under there holding the truck back with all the air hitting it. It's to divert air around those flat surfaces down there. Of course if you like air hitting flat surfaces holding you back - go for it, remove it.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
ShadowsPapa is correct on its purpose, when I figure out a option to replace it with out it just being held on by just 2 screws I will be putting back on. I've seen over a 4/10 MPG loss with out it. Plus it shields splash, road trash, road kill from radiator areas. I just installed a winch bumper with out any way or place to re-install it. FYI the OEM plastic one is a PTA to remove, if or when the bulb go's out on factory fog light pull out the cordless drill and torx bit to remove them dang long fine threaded screws.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
mpg is already low enough on Jeeps. If they came without air dams, I can see the posts now: "Hey I found a way to add 2-3 mpg!" and everyone would be installing popular aftermarket air dams LOL

I do like that it protects the auto sway bar disconnect mechanism. Probably a good idea to flush out the area with a hose once in a while so mud/debris doesn't build up inside the air dam.

OP
OP
Incommando

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
I lost 1mpg by removing the plastic air dam and putting on the steel front skid plate. Winglets are still on. Oh well.

Sponsored

ajduncan2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
ShadowsPapa is correct on its purpose, when I figure out a option to replace it with out it just being held on by just 2 screws I will be putting back on. I've seen over a 4/10 MPG loss with out it. Plus it shields splash, road trash, road kill from radiator areas. I just installed a winch bumper with out any way or place to re-install it. FYI the OEM plastic one is a PTA to remove, if or when the bulb go's out on factory fog light pull out the cordless drill and torx bit to remove them dang long fine threaded screws.
Maybe a stupid question, but if the gas mileage is so bad without the air dams, why don't they list different gas mileages for the Overland and the Rubicon than they do for the Sport/Sport S?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a stupid question, but if the gas mileage is so bad without the air dams, why don't they list different gas mileages for the Overland and the Rubicon than they do for the Sport/Sport S?
He meant .4 or 4 tenths - not 4 to 10 mpg.
And fractions aren't "so bad" as you said - no one said it was "bad", and certainly not going to impact fleet mileage numbers.
They have to maintain CAFE averages, so why would they list different numbers? Besides, changing options on the truck will change numbers! Base model of the Sport vs. one fully loaded, Base of the Overland vs fully loaded - all will change mpg.
Rubicon people so often will swap out parts, why would Jeep waste the part when JTR people will not care about mpg or those parts.
The purpose and typical buyer for the other levels, that's different.
I am baffled as to why they aren't on the Overland - but maybe different fenders make the difference?? The Overland is more narrow than Sport S max tow or Rubicon.

I want them to keep the crud off the windshield and front bumper - (and if I gain .2 mpg, COOL!)
And this pic is MILD compared to a normal drive in the winter here - sand and mud and crud literally piles up here and get thrown back at the glass.

Jeep Gladiator Front splash guard removal? 20191202_083546

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I should have used a correct fraction to make it clear;)
Thanks for clearing that up for me ShadowsPapa.
Since I was referring to MPG I left it in tenths of a mile.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I should have used a correct fraction to make it clear;)
Thanks for clearing that up for me ShadowsPapa.
Since I was referring to MPG I left it in tenths of a mile.
U dun fine. I wish it was easier to show fractions in forums and the PC in general, though.
I know it can be done with the codes ...... ¼
Sponsored