Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Reputable shops around here are about $3700 for two ARBs with compressor and gearing change
I have not checked install prices but the 2 ARB lockers are 2K, so for the compressor, gears and install as another 1700, that may not be a bad price. I am holding out for some E-lockers but it is early and I still have to learn a little more, none of my other 4 jeeps had lockers.
Sponsored

rolape2

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 XLT FX4 (wifes); 2020 Jeep Gator Gladiator, Sport S, Max tow; 1988 Suzuki Samurai; 1994 BMW 325i Cabrio; 2004 Coachman Aurora Motorhome.
From my research. The Max tow and Rubicon axles are different housing, size bearings and spline count from the other JT axles. Found this looking on gearing websites back before I order my JT Max Tow in October. Don't remember the site. If I recall correctly Max tow/Rubicon are 32 spline and others are 30. axle width is also wider on the Max Tow/Rubicon. All of the lockers/LSDs I have been able to find are for the "other" Dana 44s. No body (I could find) sells a locker/LSD for the Rubicon, Duh the come stock. MaxTow with the Rubicon housing but no locker has not been out long enough for the after market to build a locker/LSD for it. You can buy factory Rubicon lockers and switch gear and install them if you want. I personally want TrueTracs in my differentials. I don't want by diffs locked solid for my use. A TrueTrac and BLD would be the bomb. I keep looking to see if they have came up with an app for the Max Tow. From what I can tell, the internals are the same on JLs and JTs it is just the axle housing is thicker wall. You can look at Quadratec site to see the difference in the axle shaft spline count.

one2doo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT White Rubicon ,2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins,2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins, Mahindra Roxor,2018 .
From my research. The Max tow and Rubicon axles are different housing, size bearings and spline count from the other JT axles. Found this looking on gearing websites back before I order my JT Max Tow in October. Don't remember the site. If I recall correctly Max tow/Rubicon are 32 spline and others are 30. axle width is also wider on the Max Tow/Rubicon. All of the lockers/LSDs I have been able to find are for the "other" Dana 44s. No body (I could find) sells a locker/LSD for the Rubicon, Duh the come stock. MaxTow with the Rubicon housing but no locker has not been out long enough for the after market to build a locker/LSD for it. You can buy factory Rubicon lockers and switch gear and install them if you want. I personally want TrueTracs in my differentials. I don't want by diffs locked solid for my use. A TrueTrac and BLD would be the bomb. I keep looking to see if they have came up with an app for the Max Tow. From what I can tell, the internals are the same on JLs and JTs it is just the axle housing is thicker wall. You can look at Quadratec site to see the difference in the axle shaft spline count.
I ordered the Rubicon for the lockers. I have manual OX lockers on my Roxor. Wish I could get them as a option. Just pull a lever one it’s locked front or rear. Low or high range.If the cable would fail they have a insert you can screw in to lock. Simple design.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I also prefer a Detroit or Yukon locker over a completely locked diff. If/when the aftermarket comes out with them for the max tow spline, I would consider getting one. However, I have found in my usage that open diffs plus 4wd is very capable, and may well be sufficient for me. As for adding a locker, if it is stand-alone like Detroit, it is cheaper than an air locker with plumbing and a compressor. It is simpler to add by far, in my experience, than a gear change. Much of the time and effort with a gear change is setting pinion depth and preload. For a locker addition, you just determine the total amount of shims for zero preload, and will add more shims for preload at the last step. Then you install the ring gear on the new carrier (the locker) after you measure the existing backlash so you can duplicate it with the new carrier. Measure a number of places around the ring and around the pinion, for different pinion tooth that is meshing with the ring. There will be some backlash variation, but hopefully within .002" in different places. With the new carrier installed using the pre-determined number of shims total, get the backlash right by moving shims side to side. Last, add the preload shims on the side needed to make a very slight backlash adjustment, or equally to both sides is none is needed.

The above procedure is a lot quicker and easier than dealing with pinion depth and then pinion preload while getting the backlash correct each time you move the pinion depth, so you can check the gear mesh pattern.

I plan to use my Max tow Glad with the open diffs unless/until I determine I need a locker in the rear. I did a lot of trails/BLM type two-tracks with a previous club cab 155" WB pickup having open diffs, dry, wet, and in snow.

As for the wench comment, in parts of NV it is a lot easier to find one of them than to find a winch, lol.

Last edited:

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
Yea, per axle. I was quited $800.00 labor for a complete ARB front rear locker install from my local tech’s.
I cant recall iff the top if my head which vendor it was that had the complete front/rear ARB locker kit including compressor, wiring harmess and hoses but it was just under 2k. Might have quadratec.
Anyways, $800.00 labor for the install of said kit is a decent price around me in SoCal. So I’m looking at 3k...
Just empty every pocket hahaha!
Where did you get that quote from? Pretty good price.

Sponsored

one2doo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT White Rubicon ,2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins,2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins, Mahindra Roxor,2018 .
We have had a lot of trouble with the ARB lockers blowing seals on the Toyota. The the factory lockers on the the 03 rubicon work great. The ox lockers on the Roxor are the best most bulletproof. We just picked up a front and rear axel assemblies off a Rubicon from a member on forum with drive shafts,springs,fox shocks and control arms for 3 grand. I will not buy ARB lockers again.

Southbayglad

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020
We have had a lot of trouble with the ARB lockers blowing seals on the Toyota. The the factory lockers on the the 03 rubicon work great. The ox lockers on the Roxor are the best most bulletproof. We just picked up a front and rear axel assemblies off a Rubicon from a member on forum with drive shafts,springs,fox shocks and control arms for 3 grand. I will not buy ARB lockers again.
Do you know if ox lockers can be installed on the jt or of they are out yet for it?

one2doo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know if ox lockers can be installed on the jt or of they are out yet for it?
I will call them Monday. My Gladiator I ordered is a Rubicon haven’t even checked.

Red Hot Sloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Where did you get that quote from? Pretty good price.
Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this, Ive been too busy with work and house stuff....ugh grown-up adult stuff.
Theres a small offroad shop by my place in North County. I spoke with the owner, he wasnt sure at the time if there was a locker available for the max tow axles but if I brought in the correct parts, that was the price.

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
I see the following when shopping for lockers
Rubicon JT 35 spline ARB
Rubicon JT 32 spline ARB
JT Sport and Overland m220 m210 32 spline
JL (not us in any pkg) M186 and M200 29 spline

Sponsored

JonRJackson

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
I see the following when shopping for lockers
Rubicon JT 35 spline ARB
Rubicon JT 32 spline ARB
JT Sport and Overland m220 m210 32 spline
JL (not us in any pkg) M186 and M200 29 spline
where did you find the "Rubicon JT 32 spline ARB "? ive only seen the 35 spline for the Rubicon.

OPA Mac

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired Certified Diagnostic Medical Imaging Services Engineer
Many thanks; I will read over what everyone said and do some research. This answer many of my questions.......Mac
Sponsored