Treating Trail Rash on Rear Bumper

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Hey everyone! Got myself into a bit of a pickle last night at RAM Off-road Park here in Colorado Springs. Crossing a gully (with a muddy bottom) I couldn’t climb out and the rear slipped sideways so much I found it better to do the “Austin Powers” 70 point turn maneuver and get turned around, lol!

C5879F62-7DC6-461B-B6CA-6C09843F2AFA.jpeg

that’s me about half way thru ^

So as you can imagine my rear bumper had some paint removal in the process.

C86F94F8-D089-491B-98FE-560D1513BBEF.jpeg
95DDF9F6-9028-4789-AFA2-3B33ADEE5C6F.jpeg

I figured I’ll mask it off, sand off the surface rust and hit it with some generic black bumper primer/paint to keep it from rusting further.

Before I do however, is there a better way? Is there a better matching paint?

I am sure I’m not the first to have to do this :)

Thanks!
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
On other vehicles, I have had good luck taking bumpers off myself, then, lugging them to a paint shop for a spray/blend. If they know you are not going through the insurance, and you bring the part in yourself, you can get a good deal. You can also talk to them ahead of time and agree on any required prep work that you can do yourself, ie. sanding.

This way, after all that effort, you will get a good color match.

BTW, others and myself have found that the Gladiator Rubicon has much more clearance when you go sideways through gulleys and peaks with the sway bar disconnected. The great articulation of all the wheels keeps the JT from scraping. Of course, you have to have a wide enough trail to go sideways, so, you may not have that luxury.

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On other vehicles, I have had good luck taking bumpers off myself, then, lugging them to a paint shop for a spray/blend. If they know you are not going through the insurance, and you bring the part in yourself, you can get a good deal. You can also talk to them ahead of time and agree on any required prep work that you can do yourself, ie. sanding.

This way, after all that effort, you will get a good color match.

BTW, others and myself have found that the Gladiator Rubicon has much more clearance when you go sideways through gulleys and peaks with the sway bar disconnected. The great articulation of all the wheels keeps the JT from scraping. Of course, you have to have a wide enough trail to go sideways, so, you may not have that luxury.
Im sure it will happen again so I don’t need to put the time and labor into removing the bumper and taking it to a shop. Just want to minimize rust and keep it looking reasonably clean looking.

in this case the entry point was very narrow so sideways was not an option but I do know what you mean. Good tip!

Sponsored

OP
OP
FR33DOM

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're on the right path. Sand it down and feather as much as possible to the remaining paint.
Thanks. Guess I'll get some primer and black rustoleum and sandpaper tjis afternoon. Just gotta wait for the weather to clear up now...