Need some advice on towing a camper

wesdog23

First Name
wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler JL
We tow a 25' travel trailer all over the place.
Use a weight transferring hitch,brake controller and clip on mirrors.
My trailer dry weight is under 5000 lb. So probably around 6000 lb loaded.
I have never had an issue, and always have been very comfortable. I just take it slow, rarely exceed 65 mph.
For the op, most campgrounds we go to have seasonal trailers they rent for the night, so no towing until you get exactly what you want/need to be safe and comfortable.
IMG_20190907_181838.jpg
What size wheels and tires are running?

sroberts1519

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
We tow a 25' travel trailer all over the place.
Use a weight transferring hitch,brake controller and clip on mirrors.
My trailer dry weight is under 5000 lb. So probably around 6000 lb loaded.
I have never had an issue, and always have been very comfortable. I just take it slow, rarely exceed 65 mph.
For the op, most campgrounds we go to have seasonal trailers they rent for the night, so no towing until you get exactly what you want/need to be safe and comfortable.
IMG_20190907_181838.jpg
What model is your Imagine trailer? I am curious because I have looked at a few Imagine trailers.

Thanks,
Shawn

Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase

MY 22' Travel trailer is about 4500# loaded with a 600# tongue weight. I towed it on the Interstate about 10 miles without the distribution/sway bars attached. I can tell you that this JT walked all over the place. I was white knucking it a little until I got where I was going. That 600# tongue weight unloaded the front end big time! Like a totally different set up with bars attached.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Interesting. I towed a U-Haul "auto transport" trailer with a car on it. Actually had my Mustang Mach 1 on it going down to Somerset, about 80 miles or so, and then my Dad's GT500 on it coming back after it had a failed alternator during the cruise. So basically, I was towing 6,000+ lbs. total weight.

The way those U-Haul trailers are designed puts a LOT of tongue weight on the hitch. And, their rules don't allow for backing the car onto the trailer to even out the load. So, I ended up with well over 600 lbs. of tongue weight.

No weight distributing hitch, rear end sagging, there I was setting off on a 160+ mile round trip. Truck never walked, danced, or felt out of control. Stopped with ease at red lights. Towed great and held speed even on the longest uphill grades. Did a fantastic job!

The only issue I had was after dark when the headlights were shining up in the air due to the ridiculous load distribution those U-haul trailers give you. If I had been pulling a personal trailer, I would have made the load far more even over the trailer axles.

I don't know which trim level you guys have, but the Max Tow package handles trailers like a champ.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting.

No weight distributing hitch, rear end sagging, there I was setting off on a 160+ mile round trip. Truck never walked, danced, or felt out of control. Stopped with ease at red lights. Towed great and held speed even on the longest uphill grades. Did a fantastic job!

The only issue I had was after dark when the headlights were shining up in the air due to the ridiculous load distribution those U-haul trailers give you.

I don't know which trim level you guys have, but the Max Tow package handles trailers like a champ.

I have a 2" Mopar lift and 35's. Suspension seems firmer than my stock tow package Overland was. Actually did not squat much at all with the 600# on tongue. But front end was very lite.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
WXman
I've used the Uhaul vehicle trailer :like: I know what you went through, I hauled 2 of my Jeeps from Savannah GA to Huntsville AL with one. I might not have followed that "direction of vehicle loaded" :giggle: and I used a rental Ford 4Ă—4 pick up.
KVJ
Very good video to post, that driver was traveling to fast plus needed to be using sway control hitch (correctly?) and trailer brakes with trailer brakes that could have been prevented but a lot of people towing don't pay attention to what they should be. I have been towing and had sway happen with trailer brakes "loading the brakes" can stop the sway if you don't wait to long or going to fast. When I lived in GA. I got to see a lot of people mess up with RV's or towing T.T. though GA. to FL.
In plain language slow the F#$$ down for one, your not driving on a race track with a race car! Your schedule should be to slow down and unwind to enjoy life.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I have a forest river travel trailer... is around 6000 dry, 6600 loaded. About 725 tongue weight, REDARC brake controller and weight distribution hitch w sway control. This week did a trip 100 miles round trip, did great! Got 11 mpg. Wouldn’t do it without the wdh or brake controller, but compared to my tundra was slightly shocked how well it did, especially the mpg. I did keep it between 55-60.

A3D075C2-5423-4F3C-B413-CBBC36025303.jpeg

2A7EF922-F6BB-48E1-ACD8-5B914CCF81FE.jpeg

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Damn that is scary.
what is that an expedition? Isn’t their towing capacity like 5500-6000?

That is a dual axel trailer, 25-28 foot long.... a weight of probably close to 5kish, no WDH much less sway control, guarantee no brake controller, probably running down the interstate at 75-80... add that with unknown weight in the tt and inside tow vehicle... I guess that’s what happens.

there’s a reason they put tires w a max of 65 mph on these trailers. I don’t think I’d ever go faster that 60, try to stay in the 50-55 range.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I have a forest river travel trailer... is around 6000 dry, 6600 loaded. About 725 tongue weight, REDARC brake controller and weight distribution hitch w sway control. This week did a trip 100 miles round trip, did great! Got 11 mpg. Wouldn’t do it without the wdh or brake controller, but compared to my tundra was slightly shocked how well it did, especially the mpg. I did keep it between 55-60.

Jeep Gladiator Need some advice on towing a camper 2A7EF922-F6BB-48E1-ACD8-5B914CCF81FE

Jeep Gladiator Need some advice on towing a camper 2A7EF922-F6BB-48E1-ACD8-5B914CCF81FE
Thats about identical to my setup from two weeks ago. 6200 trailer with maybe a hundred or two or so lbs of items in there. Redarc and WDH. Even got 11.6mpg. I was all on state routes the way. There were times I didn't even notice it back there. There was just one very steep hill where the kids could hear the engine and were like "why did you slow down if your going fast"

All that said I am going to enjoy the carolinas with this, but I do not see myself venturing cross country with this thing, but it may be an adjustment. I was crapping my pants the first time I had a 16ft landscape trailer on my van, now 5 years later I can roll with that thing like it is nothing.

what is that an expedition? Isn’t their towing capacity like 5500-6000?

That is a dual axel trailer, 25-28 foot long.... a weight of probably close to 5kish, no WDH much less sway control, guarantee no brake controller, probably running down the interstate at 75-80... add that with unknown weight in the tt and inside tow vehicle... I guess that’s what happens.

there’s a reason they put tires w a max of 65 mph on these trailers. I don’t think I’d ever go faster that 60, try to stay in the 50-55 range.

Your right. Probably put all the cargo at the back to "help" with the squatting issues. I am sure that it has a slew of issues in there. Done a ton of research on these things since before I got mine. Lots of things you need to know that I am sure half of all owners don't even research.
Sponsored