Sponsored

My reason for a TJ Ecodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
For the last several years, we've been slowly developing our property. The Jeep Cherokee was our designated 'ranch vehicle'. We used it to tow rocks, stumps, limbs, brush, pine duff, firewood, equipment, materials, etc. As much as I appreciated the reliability and capability of the Cherokee, I also recognized it's limitations. We decided to sell it with 220,000 miles on the odometer. It served it's purpose well, but we needed something that was better equipped for towing.

As soon as the Jeep Gladiator and it's specs were confirmed, I knew it would be the perfect replacement 'ranch vehicle'. The Gladiator addressed several key issues that we had with the Cherokee. For one, the JT has a truck bed for hauling items that couldn't be hauled in the cargo space of the Cherokee. The JT also has a higher tow rating that leaves enough capacity to buy a larger trailer with brakes and still be able to haul decent sized loads.

At the same time, the JT shares some of the same features that we loved about the Cherokee. For one, the JT has a backseat area that we can put a cooler, food, drinks, gear, tools, parts, camera, and other items that we want to keep dry, clean, and secure. Even though the Gladiator is a bigger/heavier vehicle, it's still smaller than a full-sized quad cab truck.

Cherokee: 167.5"L x 69.4" W x 63.8" H
Gladiator: 218″ L x 74″ W x 75-76″ H
Ram Quad Cab: 229″ L x 82″ W x 78″ H

To be honest, I could accomplish all my goals with either the 3.6L Pentastar or the 3.0L Ecodiesel. At this current time, we don't know the tow rating on the Ecodiesel, but I do prefer the diesel for it's torque, driveability, and fuel economy. Our property is located at 7,100 feet and in mountainous terrain. Very seldom will I be driving over 60 mph. Most of our driving will be 55 mph or slower. Not only do turbo diesel engines perform better than gasoline engines at altitude, but they achieve peak power/torque in the lower RPMs. Gasoline engines, on the other hand, need to be at a higher RPM to benefit from their peak power. So, from a commuting/towing standpoint, a diesel just makes more sense for me.
Anyway, I posted a few photos so that you could see some of the things we did with the Cherokee.

9TcKhXB.jpg

JAUcjHR.jpg

dN8Mo3n.jpg

7d9U0VP.jpg

6JjOedf.jpg

1tNlcDl.jpg

Smi9AV5.jpg
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I saw TJ EcoDiesel and thought I was going to see pics of a 2000 Wrangler with an EcoDiesel swap. :)

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I saw TJ EcoDiesel and thought I was going to see pics of a 2000 Wrangler with an EcoDiesel swap. :)
That would be quite the undertaking. Unfortunately, the 2000 Wrangler and Cherokee are both too weak of a platform to take advantage of heavy towing.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Honestly for your intended use is the diesel worth the extra 4-6k? On the other hand if you have your heart set on the diesel then i guess it is.

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
I had the same XJ 2000 model and feel like it punched way above its weight class for the types of things you are doing. Low end torque from the in-line 6 was great for ranch stuff and low-moderate speeds. It was not a highway cruiser but did fine. I think the ecodiesel will be similarly torquey and super capable in that environment (especialy at your elevation). I also think that nearly any vehicle without a turbo is a waste of power and fuel.

Sponsored

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Honestly for your intended use is the diesel worth the extra 4-6k?
I think it's a valid question to ask. Worth is very difficult to measure. Aside from driveability and increased driving range, my hope is that the Ecodiesel will outlast the Pentastar.

On the other hand if you have your heart set on the diesel then i guess it is.
I'm waiting for more details to come out on the JT Ecodiesel before I make any final decisions.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I had the same XJ 2000 model and feel like it punched way above its weight class for the types of things you are doing. Low end torque from the in-line 6 was great for ranch stuff and low-moderate speeds. It was not a highway cruiser but did fine. I think the ecodiesel will be similarly torquey and super capable in that environment (especialy at your elevation).
Those who've driven the Cherokee inline 6 know how capable it is. Ironically, the tow rating on a properly equipped 2000 XJ is somewhere around 5,000 lbs. That tow rating was before the SAE J2807 standard was implemented. Under the SAE J2807, it would not have been rated 5,000 lbs due to it's stopping and handling characteristics, and probably lack of cooling, too. Nonetheless, the XJ did very well at many things, but it was limited.

The Gladiator will be able to tow my equipment trailer and tractor.

e5eqwt0.jpg

c8d12s5.jpg

lnSJ1zJ.jpg

I also think that nearly any vehicle without a turbo is a waste of power and fuel.
The turbo, especially at my elevation, makes a huge difference. The John Deere 1025R that I have pictured above is a non-turbo diesel. It has pretty good power for what I use it for, but I wished it had a turbo.

Pk2abilene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Cherokee
I had the same XJ 2000 model and feel like it punched way above its weight class for the types of things you are doing. Low end torque from the in-line 6 was great for ranch stuff and low-moderate speeds. It was not a highway cruiser but did fine. I think the ecodiesel will be similarly torquey and super capable in that environment (especialy at your elevation). I also think that nearly any vehicle without a turbo is a waste of power and fuel.
My wife has a Range Rover sport with the diesel. It has almost the exact same horsepower/torque as the ecodiesel. It’s awesome to drive and has averaged 27 mpg over the last 2 years. Like all modern diesels the emissions stuff is a pain. I would buy it again even though it cost me $4500 this month to replace the DPF at 72K miles.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
My wife has a Range Rover sport with the diesel. It has almost the exact same horsepower/torque as the ecodiesel. It’s awesome to drive and has averaged 27 mpg over the last 2 years. Like all modern diesels the emissions stuff is a pain. I would buy it again even though it cost me $4500 this month to replace the DPF at 72K miles.

I’m not overly concerned about cost but would a “purely hypothetical” delete eliminate that issue?

Pk2abilene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Cherokee
I’m not overly concerned about cost but would a “purely hypothetical” delete eliminate that issue?
It would definitely eliminate that issue. It was an option for my powerstroke. No delete options for a Rover.

Sponsored

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
it cost me $4500 this month to replace the DPF at 72K miles.
I don't know what was wrong with your DPF, but there was a Ram Ecodiesel hot shot several years ago with a failed DPF. He did some research and found that most failed DPFs are clogged. He used Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Extreme and it completely fixed what the dealer said couldn't be fixed. Since then, others with failed DPFs have tried the same remedy with great success. I use Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Extreme once every 6 months and can tell a huge difference. My guess is that the system gets so backed up that it eventually throws codes. The dealer's solution is to replace it.

OFame1904

First Name
Nathaniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 JKU Sport, 21 JTR EcoDiesel
So did ya get an ecodiesel JT?
Sponsored