Sponsored

Bike Tailgate Pad Suggestions

mtbclimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Here's an alternative to the Dakine. This one is from Backcountry.com (obviously), size medium. Just got it today so these are initial impressions. there's no extra material vertically, the width is about 1.5" too wide. You can open the tailgate with it on but you have to be careful closing the gate. The flap allows access to the gate latch but the camera is completely blocked.
IMG_9616.jpg
IMG_9617.jpg
IMG_9618.jpg
Sponsored

SFBAYCA_2020JT

First Name
Arturo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Just +1 on the Dakine - i picked up the DLX small based on the info from bainbridge-xj and I am pretty happy with it. Easy to use, bike doesn't move when transporting.

fullsizeoutput_27e0.jpeg

I take it off and on regularly (I only use it when I am actually going for a ride, I live in CA and people will steal anything that's not bolted to a car...) and it's no hassle. The only gotcha is it is like a half an inch too wide, so I just tuck the flaps in when I am closing the tailgate. The other thing you have to watch out for is ensuring you install it correctly. The straps should be on the inside of the tailgate, not the top. You essentially want to ensure there is actually padding between the bike frame and tailgate. There is a gap at the fold-over seam, so it's easy to think you have it fit well, but there is actually no padding between the frame and tailgate. Then just tighten the heck of the straps and it's a nice, snug fit.

Cheveyboy

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Anyone concerned about covering up the third brake light? I'm thinking about a pad, and maybe a third light to mount in the hitch receiver. But I bet this still wouldn't pass the sniff test of a Trooper looking for something to do. Or heaving forbid, being rearended and being thus questioned.

Sponsored

"JeePers"

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
I bought a bike rack for my F-150 that is called the Latchit Rack. When I sold my ford and bought the gladiator I was able to convert the rack to fit. I checked and they sell them new for the gladiator as well ( website says "coming soon" but he shipped me everything I needed for my gladiator). It is a neat design and gives you even more room in your bed for stuff because it attaches with your tailgate open. Dude that is selling these is super cool and has awesome customer service.

Check it out: www.latchitrack.com

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 12.06.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 12.06.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 12.07.26 PM.png

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
I bought a bike rack for my F-150 that is called the Latchit Rack. When I sold my ford and bought the gladiator I was able to convert the rack to fit. I checked and they sell them new for the gladiator as well ( website says "coming soon" but he shipped me everything I needed for my gladiator). It is a neat design and gives you even more room in your bed for stuff because it attaches with your tailgate open. Dude that is selling these is super cool and has awesome customer service.

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 12.06.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 12.06.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 12.07.26 PM.png
That looks great! I wonder if it would give me enough room for my tandem bike in the back...

20190726_164400.jpg

20190726_164411.jpg

"JeePers"

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Sweet tandem bike! I think this bike rack would be perfect for your tandem because you get the extra length of the tailgate laid down flat. I just took some measurements for you to see if it will fit. Measure your bike from the back of the front fork to the furthest point that your back tire sticks out. If you have less than 82 inches, then you will have room. You could angle the bike as well to get a few more inches if it was close. Do you just have the one bike to load?

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
Sweet tandem bike! I think this bike rack would be perfect for your tandem because you get the extra length of the tailgate laid down flat. I just took some measurements for you to see if it will fit. Measure your bike from the back of the front fork to the furthest point that your back tire sticks out. If you have less than 82 inches, then you will have room. You could angle the bike as well to get a few more inches if it was close. Do you just have the one bike to load?
My old truck was a 2004 Silverado with 6' bed. The tandem would fit diagonally with the gate shut, then I'd use ratchet tie-down straps to keep the bike still. It was always a PITA (pain in the @$$) to load the bike. This setup, if it gives me enough space, looks much easier.

My son & I are the only bicyclists in our house, and when we ride, it is usually just the 2 of us. Might be nice to be able to take others & their bikes with us, though.

OTB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
+3 (or is that 4) on the small Dakine DLX. Picked up my new truck Saturday, shuttled 5 bikers Sunday. I have used a handful of different pads in different trucks, and I'd say this fitment is very good for our application, and I actually used the backup camera. 5 bikes fit fine together. A caution: careful with the pedals on the outside bikes, they could be up against the bed lights.

Jeep Gladiator Bike Tailgate Pad Suggestions IMG_20200705_131315
Jeep Gladiator Bike Tailgate Pad Suggestions IMG_20200705_102017

That Latchit product is cool! Never seen one before this info.

Sponsored

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator

Ordered! Thanks for your post and the link!

volfo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler 2 door; 2021 Gladiator Mojave
Reviving an old thread now that my Gladiator is ordered.

Has anyone ordered and used the Dakine half pad? I'm wondering how it compares to the Evoc.

Also, from photos I've seen it appears the latch it rack would allow someone that has a trifold tonneau to keep it on while the regular pads would not, unless you have an aftermarket trifold that flips up against the rear window. On the other hand, it also looks like anything left in the bed could potential slide back and then out the sides of the tailgate with that rack. It is pretty cool but I'm thinking a simple pad would be cheaper and better for my needs and then use a hitch rack if I really need to use the bed for a trip. Probably means a roll up tonneau.

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I have pics in another thread on the half pad. I usually use two to keep the camera and brake light clear. I switched to a rack above the bed now though for carrying bikes so I can keep the bed closed and functional.

volfo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler 2 door; 2021 Gladiator Mojave
Thanks Shrinkhead, I actually read your thread on the evoc half pad. It was great. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Dakine half pad to see which one might be better? They seem very similar.

2tall

First Name
Carmino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRM
Occupation
Engineer
Old thread but I figured I would add my photos in case abyone is looking at a Raceface T2 pad or the Fox Factory pad. They are the same. It is not a perfect fit but I can adjust it so the 3rd brake light, tailgate handle and backup cam all still function. So it’ll do!!
The width of the medium pad works good.

No issue opening the tailgate.

I have only used to secure 1 or 2 bikes. It is designed to carry 4 max. In these photos the back tire is strapped down but that is not required. Happened to be carrying other items that required it.

Jeep Gladiator Bike Tailgate Pad Suggestions 9D7E5BC4-399D-464E-9391-ADCC427345AA

Jeep Gladiator Bike Tailgate Pad Suggestions 3EB44345-CB17-4139-8EF4-8F63FC24E404

Jeep Gladiator Bike Tailgate Pad Suggestions 605A778D-AD75-4004-885D-AFD8A0B5986F
Sponsored