Sponsored

31 mpg real world test

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Rams with Gen3 EcoDiesels? I didn't think they'd been out that long yet.
Clearly we were talking about the Gen II engine. There hasn't been any known engine failures with the Gen III.
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
In all my years following the EcoDiesel, I have yet to find anybody with high mileage on one that hasn't had significant repairs made to it.
knock on all the wood I can find > 114K on my '14 GC EcoD with nothing but normal maint......

I'm wanting a tune that just disables the EGR, but leaves all the emissions intact. I have 81,000 miles on my 2015 Ecodiesel. The only DEF problem I had was a bad DEF injector that kept throwing the same code. One the injector was replaced, I haven't had a problem since. My 2015 is bone stock, but I would have it tuned if I was going to keep it.
That is the tune I have (from the company we discussed previously). It is well worth it, have not seen a regen since install, burns so clean, averaging 25mpg mixed commute and I do 80 on the hwy. And 485 ft lbs. I have surprised quite a few peeps at the stoplight drags.....

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The "new" EcoDiesel has only been on the road for a few months so there aren't any issues yet. But, this Gen 3 engine is 20% recycled and 80% new, and new isn't necessarily better it's just unproven.
I agree that it is unproven. But that also means that issues from past generations should not be applied to it until they show up. We as consumers can't have it both ways. Only time will tell I guess.

I personally think FCA just kept the name EcoDiesel for marketing reasons and less so because it is a true variant of the older engine. EcoDiesel is a good sounding name and to the general public, it has been around a good while. If this new generation of it turns out to be a solid motor, the name will have more clout with it being in the public eye for 10 years or so.

I've actually been trying to deal on a 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel today, so I started browsing forums, Facebook owner groups, and even FCA's own advertising posts. In every one of those places I've browsed online, the ratio of no issues to issues is about 10:1 with the EcoDiesel. I've seen everything from engine fires that began near the intake manifold to EGR failures to broken cranks to cam failures to throttle control errors to completely blown up engines...and almost all of it is at less than 110,000 miles. It's frightening.
So is that for every 10 no issue motors you have found 1 problem motor? So a 10% "failure rate" posted on the internet. Extrapolate that to account for the nearly 95% of people that don't post on the internet car forums because they have no issues, and that "failure rate" goes down quite a bit I would think.

I'm excited about the diesel, but I'm not 100% sure it will be what I get. I'm still waiting to see what the true numbers are going to be. If the JT diesel gets the 18 gallon tank like the JL, I think the real world range difference between the 3.6 and ED is going to be about 80 miles per tank. That is just an extra 5 gallon jerry can on the gasser. I'm also interested in how the two compare for towing a ~3500lbs trailer in the mountains.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I'm also interested in how the two compare for towing a ~3500lbs trailer in the mountains.
I bet the difference will be substantial. I'm hoping that TFL will do the Ike Gauntlet challenge between the two. And I hope they use a trailer that weighs at least 5,000 lbs.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
If the JT diesel gets the 18 gallon tank like the JL, I think the real world range difference between the 3.6 and ED is going to be about 80 miles per tank. That is just an extra 5 gallon jerry can on the gasser. I'm also interested in how the two compare for towing a ~3500lbs trailer in the mountains.
I am hoping they keep the existing 22 gallon tank while adding the DEF tank in somewhere. It could be possible with the longer wheelbase but nobody has an underside shot of one of the mules running around to confirm. I would like a solid 500+ mile highway range although I don't expect the 650+ I get in my WK2 ecoDiesel.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I am hoping they keep the existing 22 gallon tank while adding the DEF tank in somewhere. It could be possible with the longer wheelbase but nobody has an underside shot of one of the mules running around to confirm. I would like a solid 500+ mile highway range although I don't expect the 650+ I get in my WK2 ecoDiesel.
FCA is pretty good about listening to customers. They learned from the 4th gen Ram 1500 that customers expressed a great desire for a larger fuel tank. So, they made that adjustment on the 2020 Ram 1500. We now can get the optional 33 gallon tank diesel fuel tank. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gladiator gets the 22 gallon tank.

I'm hoping that someone will make a small 10 - 15 gallon in-bed auxiliary tank.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I too am hoping that they keep the 22g tank for the JT-ED. That would go a long ways in making me purchase it.

Gasser: 22g x 15mpg = 330 miles per tank
Diesel: 18g x 24mpg = 432mpt
Diesel: 22g x 24mpg = 528mpt

FCA is pretty good about listening to customers. They learned from the 4th gen Ram 1500 that customers expressed a great desire for a larger fuel tank. So, they made that adjustment on the 2020 Ram 1500. We now can get the optional 33 gallon tank diesel fuel tank. I wouldn't be surprised if the Gladiator gets the 22 gallon tank.

I'm hoping that someone will make a small 10 - 15 gallon in-bed auxiliary tank.

As to the towing, I don't plan on towing anything besides my OGT offraod trailer which would max out at 3500lbs, so anything above that does not really matter to me (I've got a RAM 1500 Hemi for that if needed). I'm going to try and do my own test by pulling my trailer with both here in the mountains.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
As to the towing, I don't plan on towing anything besides my OGT offraod trailer which would max out at 3500lbs, so anything above that does not really matter to me (I've got a RAM 1500 Hemi for that if needed). I'm going to try and do my own test by pulling my trailer with both here in the mountains.
I figured you had a reason for wanting a 3,500 lb towing comparison. Even with 3,500 lbs, I think you'll notice a big difference between the two engines in overall towing performance, especially at low speeds. The diesel is making it's maximum torque at lower RPMs whereas the Pentastar is making it's maximum torque at higher RPMs. That why the driveability of the diesel is much preferred for many drivers. Most of my loads are somewhere between 3,000 and 6,000 lbs., but that's because my smaller trailers weigh somewhere around 1,800 - 2,000 lbs empty. That leaves me with 1,000 - 4,000 lbs of cargo.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I figured you had a reason for wanting a 3,500 lb towing comparison. Even with 3,500 lbs, I think you'll notice a big difference between the two engines in overall towing performance, especially at low speeds. The diesel is making it's maximum torque at lower RPMs whereas the Pentastar is making it's maximum torque at higher RPMs. That why the driveability of the diesel is much preferred for many drivers. Most of my loads are somewhere between 3,000 and 6,000 lbs., but that's because my smaller trailers weigh somewhere around 1,800 - 2,000 lbs empty. That leaves me with 1,000 - 4,000 lbs of cargo.
If they go with the 18g tank, the towing performance on the lighter side will really have to be noticeable to justify the extra up front and on going costs. If it is not a night and day difference, then I'll probably get the gasser and put a Gen-Right extended tank on it for under $2k and call it a day.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I agree that it is unproven. But that also means that issues from past generations should not be applied to it until they show up. We as consumers can't have it both ways. Only time will tell I guess.

I personally think FCA just kept the name EcoDiesel for marketing reasons and less so because it is a true variant of the older engine. EcoDiesel is a good sounding name and to the general public, it has been around a good while. If this new generation of it turns out to be a solid motor, the name will have more clout with it being in the public eye for 10 years or so.

So is that for every 10 no issue motors you have found 1 problem motor? So a 10% "failure rate" posted on the internet. Extrapolate that to account for the nearly 95% of people that don't post on the internet car forums because they have no issues, and that "failure rate" goes down quite a bit I would think.

I'm excited about the diesel, but I'm not 100% sure it will be what I get. I'm still waiting to see what the true numbers are going to be. If the JT diesel gets the 18 gallon tank like the JL, I think the real world range difference between the 3.6 and ED is going to be about 80 miles per tank. That is just an extra 5 gallon jerry can on the gasser. I'm also interested in how the two compare for towing a ~3500lbs trailer in the mountains.
No, the other way around. For every positive review I've found, there are maybe 10 negative reviews, failures, blown engines. It's the craziest thing I've ever seen.

The one I'm trying to deal on right now is a 2020 Ram with the Gen 3 engine. They're still advertising them with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so I figure if I let the dealer do all maintenance and keep records, I'd have a pretty good argument should I have to deal with FCA in the future.

For what it's worth, most of the negative reviews all over the web have indicated that FCA doesn't give a rat's ass. They will NOT help guys out with EcoDiesel failures and they will do everything they can to avoid warranty repairs that are expensive. So, we just have to go into it knowing that.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
If they go with the 18g tank, the towing performance on the lighter side will really have to be noticeable to justify the extra up front and on going costs. If it is not a night and day difference, then I'll probably get the gasser and put a Gen-Right extended tank on it for under $2k and call it a day.
I understand. I'm going to reserve most of my thoughts once the final specs are released. There are too many unknowns for me to give a thoughtful opinion. I'm still confident that once you test drive the Ecodiesel, you won't hesitate. TFL made some very interesting comments based on their EcoDiesel Wrangler vs Pentastar Gladiator comparison. There was no question in their mind which engine they would want for towing.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The one I'm trying to deal on right now is a 2020 Ram with the Gen 3 engine.
I just secured pricing on a 2020 Ram EcoDiesel this morning. I just need to workout what options I want.

They're still advertising them with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty
100,000 mile warranty is pretty standard on a diesel engine.

For what it's worth, most of the negative reviews all over the web have indicated that FCA doesn't give a rat's ass. They will NOT help guys out with EcoDiesel failures and they will do everything they can to avoid warranty repairs that are expensive. So, we just have to go into it knowing that.
I've spent the last 4 years on EcoDiesel forum(s). I can tell you that the overwhelming majority are very satisfied with how FCA has handled warranty repairs. The frustrations are mostly at the dealer level. FCA doesn't diagnose problems, the dealer does. After owing the KJ CRD, you should be able to relate to that.

With that said, the Ecodiesel facebook groups have a lot of negativity. And most of that negativity comes from ill-informed owners.

There was a guy on the forum who lost his engine at 102,000 miles. That is 2,000 miles outside of the warranty. FCA discounted the engine and paid for 1/2 the cost. Everyone on the forum agreed that was something FCA didn't have to do, but they did. I think he paid $6,000 out of pocket for a new engine complete with turbo, injectors, CP4 pump, etc.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I just secured pricing on a 2020 Ram EcoDiesel this morning. I just need to workout what options I want.
I was just offered today to trade in my Gladiator for a Ram 1500 Gen III EcoDiesel and keep my monthly payment the same. The Ram would be crew cab, 4x4, Big Horn, North Edition, and Level II interior package, with 20" optional wheels and A/T tires and 3.92 axle.

It's extremely tempting. Now I've got to decide whether I'd like to wait for JT EcoDiesel IF it's even offered or jump on this Ram deal.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I was just offered today to trade in my Gladiator for a Ram 1500 Gen III EcoDiesel and keep my monthly payment the same. The Ram would be crew cab, 4x4, Big Horn, North Edition, and Level II interior package, with 20" optional wheels and A/T tires and 3.92 axle.
For reference, I should get approximately 13,000 off MSRP on my Longhorn (invoice, less hold back, less $800, less rebates, and 50% off any service contract).

It's extremely tempting. Now I've got to decide whether I'd like to wait for JT EcoDiesel IF it's even offered or jump on this Ram deal.
I will use the Ram 1500 much more than I will the Gladiator, so it was a pretty easy decision for me. I'll get the Gladiator Ecodiesel, but not this year.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I'll get the Gladiator Ecodiesel, but not this year.
I just hope the JT diesel will be available this year - I could probably hold out until next year but hope I (we) don’t have to-
Sponsored