Cutting the hood for cold air intake

Oatmeal

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I read somewhere that stock electrical can’t ford that deep. So is a snorkel all show and no go?
Sponsored

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
I read somewhere that stock electrical can’t ford that deep. So is a snorkel all show and no go?
Not stock. Snorkel aren't always for fording water either. For instance in my case I want one for desert trips to keep the air I am putting in my engine out of the dust trail from the vehicle in front of me on the desert trails. If you want to cross deep water a lot more money will need to be spent on many different items of your vehicle (if done correctly).

69Commando

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Jeepster Commando, 2020 Gladiator SportS Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
There is a lot of stuff from SEMA that has turned to vapor ware. The Rugged Ridge snorkel is just one example. AEV and Bestop are dragging their butts on getting to market as well.

Sponsored

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
Cold air intakes aren’t as valuable as people think. In fact they’re nearly worthless.
There are some YouTube vids where some mechanics did some realworld testing of Cold Air Intakes. They started by dyno-ing a JL v6, with factory air intake, for a baseline.
Then they installed several top selling CAI’s. And dyno-ed again. None equaled the horsepower of the factory intake... the they removed the intake and dyno-ed with an open throttle body... still didn’t equal factory intake... then they ran a tube directly to an air conditioner, blasting ice cold air into throttle body... that equaled the horsepower (but did not surpass it) of the factory air intake!
I think the video’s titled, something like, “Smashing the myth of Cold Air Intakes!” ;{

BK_Yeti

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
There are some YouTube vids where some mechanics did some realworld testing of Cold Air Intakes. They started by dyno-ing a JL v6, with factory air intake, for a baseline.
Then they installed several top selling CAI’s. And dyno-ed again. None equaled the horsepower of the factory intake... the they removed the intake and dyno-ed with an open throttle body... still didn’t equal factory intake... then they ran a tube directly to an air conditioner, blasting ice cold air into throttle body... that equaled the horsepower (but did not surpass it) of the factory air intake!
I think the video’s titled, something like, “Smashing the myth of Cold Air Intakes!” ;{
So you're saying there's a chance...

Sponsored

Godfadr

First Name
Godfadr
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Cold air intakes aren’t as valuable as people think. In fact they’re nearly worthless.
I have been saying this for years. Trust me your shouting into the wind.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I have seen many before and after dynos including my own cars with a CAI. On average they give about 10rwhp. Not a lot and you will never notice that driving but they certainly work. My reasons for doing this were mostly looks and possibly help with engine temps.

People on here spend thousands on lifts and tires with absolutely no intentions of going off road. A waste IMO but to each their own.