Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ive decided to lift my JT. Im currently on 37s and love it but want to add 2.5 lift. I definitely dont want to go higher than that but Im torn on systems. I do not like budget lifts so I want a full system. I do minor offroading so I'll admit lift is mostly for looks. On road handling is probably my top priority.

I love the metalcloak system, but it doesnt lift the rear. If I went that route what would you guys do to lift the rear?

That leaves JKS or Rockkrawler 3 inch systems. I know theres also rubicon express that has a few options, but Im not seeing any feedback on their systems. I'd be very interested to hear back on them.
Which route knowing my goal is minor off road with improvement/maintaining on road manners.

Thanks a ton.
Hey!

Are we aloud to suggest ourselves ;)?

Our kit will be available in both a 2.5" and 3.5" version, will come with all eight adjustable control arms, front and rear track bars, front AND rear coil springs (triple-rate rear coil springs :party:) plus new bump stops and sway bar links. Our Overland Plus series kits feature our maintenance free self-lubricating Giiro bushings which give the Jeep that factory on road feel and performance but with the capability you need to hit the trails. Pre-order information will be available here on the Jeep Gladiator Forum either this week or next so keep an eye out!

Check out the latest JK Gear and Gadgets video on YouTube to see the kit in action!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I just installed : http://evomfg.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=498
It's the Evo 2.5" Enforcer Overland. I've only driven it for two days, but so far it seems to handle all on-road situations really well. I've been on very bumpy county roads and 80 MPH on the Interstate. I'm on 35" tires.
One thing to note, although advertised as a 2.5", it lifted my Jeep at least 3.5".

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Not really when you look at all the stuff it’s replacing. There’s really different classses
Budget lift
Lift with springs withonly lower control arms like mopar
Lift that replaces all arms and track bars

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Can you give more details on these please?
Sure! The factory rear coil in the JT is a triple rate design so we tried to match that as closely as possible in order to maintain the factory like feel but with the added height of course and ability to carry more weight. We also go over all of our springs with a SealKor finish, which is a zinc-rich powder coat to help against corrosion. If you'd like some more info on the actual spring rates I will be posting the pre-order information soon with all of the specs so keep an eye out!

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Wow that is expensive!
While we do try to keep prices fair and competitive while also maintaining our 100% made-in-the-USA guarantee, this is our premium version of the kit which includes Johnny Joints at one end of the control arms. We do offer a slightly less expensive variant with our Giiro joints instead called the Overland Plus series! The Overland Plus series is great for somebody who does a lot of on-road highway driving with some wheeling trips on weekends, while the Premium Series is more for your hardcore off-road enthusiast. Hope that helps!

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
While we do try to keep prices fair and competitive while also maintaining our 100% made-in-the-USA guarantee, this is our premium version of the kit which includes Johnny Joints at one end of the control arms. We do offer a slightly less expensive variant with our Giiro joints instead called the Overland Plus series! The Overland Plus series is great for somebody who does a lot of on-road highway driving with some wheeling trips on weekends, while the Premium Series is more for your hardcore off-road enthusiast. Hope that helps!
how is the highway ride and maintenance with Johnny Joints? I'm of the mind to "buy once, cry once" and don't want to "save a few bucks" to kick myself later down he road (or off the road as it were). OP - I hope this banter is helpful.....not trying to thread jack

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not really when you look at all the stuff it’s replacing. There’s really different classses
Budget lift
Lift with springs withonly lower control arms like mopar
Lift that replaces all arms and track bars
sometimes a "cheap" lift ends up costing more than a quality lift when it fails, you replace it because it rides rough or you end up chasing issues and throwing money at them piecemeal.

Sponsored

Capt. B

First Name
Captain B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator, 2002 Jeep Wrangler 2DR Gobi Edition
sometimes a "cheap" lift ends up costing more than a quality lift when it fails, you replace it because it rides rough or you end up chasing issues and throwing money at them piecemeal.
I think it comes down to mission. If you like the lifted look and don't need the benefits of a springed lift, spacers (the cheap option) is completely acceptable and makes sense. However, if you go spacers and then start climbing way beyond the suspensions ability then it's not smart. I think if you want the factory ride and are not a hard core 4 wheeler type, spacers are not only acceptable but a smart alternative.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
how is the highway ride and maintenance with Johnny Joints? I'm of the mind to "buy once, cry once" and don't want to "save a few bucks" to kick myself later down he road (or off the road as it were). OP - I hope this banter is helpful.....not trying to thread jack
Both kits ride great on road and highway, the Overland Plus kit is just a little smoother and quieter for on road driving. You really can't go wrong with either kit as they both excel at both on road and off road driving, the Premium kit is just for your hardcore enthusiasts while the Overland kit is more for your "weekend warrior".

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I think it comes down to mission. If you like the lifted look and don't need the benefits of a springed lift, spacers (the cheap option) is completely acceptable and makes sense. However, if you go spacers and then start climbing way beyond the suspensions ability then it's not smart. I think if you want the factory ride and are not a hard core 4 wheeler type, spacers are not only acceptable but a smart alternative.
Totally agree, if all you want is a little bit of lift than a spacer is a great option. However I would disagree that by just introducing a spacer kit to your vehicle you wouldn't necessarily be keeping that factory ride quality unless you paired the spacers with some adjustable control arms and track bars to set all of your angles properly again.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
no my concern is that going 75 mph down a 2 lane road hitting a bump and I’m flying into the opposite lane in front of a semi... which happened when I drove up here... I’m doing the lift and full on replacement of steering components to make my Jeep geometry correct so it will drive down the road with no issues.
That's not going to happen with the Metalcloak lift and 2.5" vs 3.5" is still just an inch :rock:

And you can always put a spacer in the rear if you want more rake (taller backside)

OP
OP

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Thank you everyone for your input. I decided to go with Clayton Offroad. Spent a lot of time chatting with them and love the service the add along with the product. Really excited and will post pics once they come in. I encourage anyone whos on the fence to give them a call. I was surprised to see how much time they spent with me repeatedly answering my questions.
Good luck
Sponsored