Sponsored

Gears for 37" tires

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I'd almost bet my house that the 3.6 cannot hold 80 on a hill even with 5.13 s in it. It is a well known fact that the 3.6 is not a torque biased engine it is a horsepower biased engine. It takes a defined amount of work to push a vehicle up a hill. Your RPM will be in the same range as mine whether you run 2.73 or 5.13. The only difference is where in the transmission that defined amount of work takes place. The plain and simple argument is that physics rule the day and if you want to pull 8th on a long hill you'll have to go a whole lot deeper than 5.13.
Define a "long hill." C'mon man

In the end we are all free to do what we think is best. I personally believe that my JT on 37s and stock gears is a great combination. My truck is not a garage princess I use it every day and since I took delivery on June 25 I have already put 12,700 miles on it. I have towed my enclosed trailer from Nashville to Destin twice and to Gatlinburg, TN twice. Every trip was an empty to the destination and loaded with antique oak furniture on the way home. I tow my 6x10 utility trailer at least three days a week and it performs amazingly. TN is not a flat place, we have some very good hills around here with some very long climbs, BUT, I will concede that there is a big difference between the 600 ft elevation of Nashville and the western states.

My wife has a Nissan Quest with the CVT and it is the perfect example of how a transmission should work. The computer calculates the load and the work that needs to be done and adjusts the transmission to put the engine at its most efficient RPM. If you have never driven a CVT when you floor it the engine RPMs climb to a certain level and then remain there as you continue to accelerate. Like I said earlier it puts the engine in the best spot and adjusts the gear ratios to produce acceleration. The JT 8 speed does the exact same thing just with fixed ratios, and it does it very well.
You're spending a lot of time talking about gearing when you've stayed with stock gears. This may not be the best thread for you.
Sponsored

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok got my pulsar installed that thing is amazing!!!! It deff makes a big gain in power[/QUOTE

That's Really cool. Does it actually increase performance that much or is it just more throttle response from Pedal tuning?

Daniel.cox8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator jeep jl
I would say it deff has throttle response I would say yes it's really cool gas got better that's really what I wanted, well gear ratio and tire size too. I still want a taser to add the front camera

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I would say it deff has throttle response I would say yes it's really cool gas got better that's really what I wanted, well gear ratio and tire size too. I still want a taser to add the front camera

That’s awesome! Do you think it will void your warranty? If I decide to void my warranty I am going to do it with a RIPP Supercharger. I wish I hadn’t purchased the extended warranty. I never do but I let myself get convinced by the finance guy.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
That’s awesome! Do you think it will void your warranty? If I decide to void my warranty I am going to do it with a RIPP Supercharger. I wish I hadn’t purchased the extended warranty. I never do but I let myself get convinced by the finance guy.
There's almost no one thing you can do to your vehicle that will void the entire warranty

Sponsored

Daniel.cox8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator jeep jl
I don't think it would void the warranty at all it's just a piggy back really you unplug it goes fully to stock. It's really neat. Just be careful with the pcm when pulled out. It's an awesome upgrade

20200125_145450.jpg

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it would void the warranty at all it's just a piggy back really you unplug it goes fully to stock. It's really neat. Just be careful with the pcm when pulled out. It's an awesome upgrade

20200125_145450.jpg
Maybe you‘’ll start a thread on that

TRAILJT

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There's almost no one thing you can do to your vehicle that will void the entire warranty
True but if you add up everything I have already done and everything I have plans to do it, it equals a voided warranty.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe
That's easy - HP through speed. In the earlier V8 engines you got HP through cubic inches and air flow. Now it's smaller cubes at higher RPM.
The dyno sheets tell a story as does history of engine development.
The redline on modern engines is way above what the blow-up point was on earlier engines. Parts smaller, lighter, spin up faster.
Even my Chevy LS needed high RPM to make power - it wasn't so great at lower RPM while my 360 would do very well at 2,000 rpm less.
Totally agree, typically motors offered a lot of grunt back there but unanimously got wheezy above 4500 RPM, 5500 if your hopped up... This is coming from Datsun/Nissan Z cars, Jeep I6, SBC, BBC. Mid 90's produced some some solid Mid-RPM engines, ironically most based off of older designs, LT1, Later Jeep I6, Quad Cam Nissan Z engine, etc. I suspect computer controls for both engine development and engine controls attribute to most of those gains, also better manufacturing.

In this day and age, its cram the smallest engine that maked just enough peak torque to get the job done, But I see this as more the reason for better gearing on the diff, these new engines can spin faster with less friction, less mass, less wear and better efficiency.

But I will remind everyone, Toyota includes 4.30 gears in their V6 Tacoma, Shoot my last Tundra had 400hp 5.7 liter quad cam V8 (all alloy) and STILL had a 4.30 final gear... Thing was a beast. Tacoma, not so mucn, seems it NEEDS the 4.30's to barely survive.

I maintain my vote, gear these things where their top speed produces an RPM that is barely tolerable. My stock TJ Rubicon ran 3000rpm on the highway (cant remember exactly, somewhere between 70-80mph). These engines are MUCH better designed for spinning endurance ... Almost like a cyclist VS a power lifter (3.6 vs 4.0). DISCLAIMER: I love the 4.0's character.

Ericshere03

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel and 2021 Wrangler 4xe

20200125_145450.jpg
Woah, thats actually clever. Someday when I grow up, i'd love to throw on an edelbrock supercharger, but thinking it may be best to buy a new PCM for the job. So returning to stock is just that much easier.

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Define a "long hill." C'mon man

You're spending a lot of time talking about gearing when you've stayed with stock gears. This may not be the best thread for you.

Why not? My Gladiator has almost 16k miles on it every one of them with 37s. Seems like I have a ton of experience on the topic.

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
Stopped in and picked up the quote for 488’s. Holy smokes on the lubricant!

Parts plus labor + lube job = almost $2500 w new bearings. $1950 without bearings

image.jpg

Daniel.cox8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator jeep jl
This is awesome news, what manufacturer did you go with for the ring/pinion? and cost for parts and install if you don't mind me asking?
Yukon gears from 249 drivetrain here in houston. It is nice I've hurd of some people running 5 38s and 5.13 I think I would do 5.13 or 5.38 to do 40s
Sponsored