No Key - its it will still drive

BlueCT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I had another experience that is probably of a related nature. I left my key in my truck by accident when I went into a store to go shopping. I used the app to remote start the truck from inside the store. It auto locks the doors. So it locked the key in the truck and started the truck. I was able to use the app to unlock the truck but if that didn’t work I would have been SOL. Not a big deal because this app seems reliable but my 2016 Mercedes had a similar app and that POS only worked 20% of the time.
Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
If the key is not inside the JT while running and you shut the shut the engine down, you have a VERY SHORT time that you can push the ignition button and restart the JT, if you wait too long it will not restart.

Also, as on the video @Hootbro posted the dash will display the message "Key Fob has Left the Vehicle" while the engine is running and the key fob is not detected inside the JT.
I drove drove about 20 miles after leaving my key on the kitchen table, shut the jeep off and about 10 seconds later tried to restart and no go. I had an expensive taxi ride.

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubicon 3.6l
Do u have the technology package? I get a message in the cluster that says key fob has left the vehicle. No other bells or whistles. Just a notification where my digital speedometer would normally be. But I know this cluster upgrade is from The tech package...

Also if I remote start it won’t shift into gear without having the rob and pressing the start button.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
oh but we sure do like the convenience of buttons don't we...the rfid push button start proximity stuff were solutions not to problems we had but options we wanted due to our laziness and always wanting easier and easier and easier, autonomy buttons are available now and people are dying because of them, humans are so smart sometimes and then beyond stupid other times...keyed ignition, direct driver control care and operation of vehicle, mechanical/physical link to a two ton death machine capable of 100 plus mph through public spaces(smart).....or a key that links to your vehicle by radio frequency that anyone can duplicate, care and control to ignition no longer in drivers control via mechancial/physical link(stupid)...all because it's convenient when it's cold out? all because people don't like fumbling with keys? how's that cab ride lol, hows that call your wife to bring your key lol

wow, not surprising wow, but wow what we do to fix problems we don't have and then have to fix exponentially more problems we need to when we get to smart for our own good, wtf is wrong with us?:puke:

and could not agree more with 'most men put keys in their pockets'...
'pants pockets!', how does an auto manufacturer not know this? rfid bricks are the worst and the jeeps the worst yet, stupid squared

what's faster than greased lightning? humans ability to lose; sight of the big picture, and common sense

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Do u have the technology package? I get a message in the cluster that says key fob has left the vehicle. No other bells or whistles. Just a notification where my digital speedometer would normally be. But I know this cluster upgrade is from The tech package...

Also if I remote start it won’t shift into gear without having the rob and pressing the start button.
I have all the tech stuff other than the advanced safety group. My remote start behaves the same as you describe. I will have to look at what if anything happens on the cluster. I didn't notice anything when I drove away without the key but that doesn't mean there wasn't a message.

Sponsored

Gene26

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepgladiatorforum.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator Launch Edition 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 Ram Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
Mine beeps at m that the keyfob has left the vehicle but will still do whatever you need to fill you shut it off

Mimi3d

First Name
Arlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I left mine running unknowingly took the key in to my sons house left he called me said mom you left your keys here how are you driving I was like I don’t know turned around went back and got my keys was thankful I didn’t go somewhere and shut the engine off what a mess that would’ve been be careful folks!!!

Billet Wilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, 2021 JT Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The key is meant to stay on you. I keep it separate from my main keyring so it's always in my pocket. I keep my house key on it as well so I always have access to my truck and house regardless. I've driven vehicles with this style key since 2007 and its just something you get use to. People who continue treating it as a traditional key are the ones that have problems.

Bacstar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Data Analyst
Another thing to keep in mind, especially if you park in the garage attached to your home - Do not forget to shut off the car. I ended up almost killing myself in a vehicle with a keyfob and push-button start. On my rush to get in the house, I left the car running. Luckily as I was getting ready to take a nap, all my C-monoxide detectors started going off, saved my life!

Dallas91

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Silverado ltz
I get a warning that the key has left the vehicle.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
So, left my jeep at shop for a couple of minor suspension items to be tweaked, came and picked it up today, they had it running out front, the dealer had the key, I drove 22 miles and did not have a notice or anything. They got me the key, i tried it back at my office, and yep, once started and key taken out, you can drive it. My wifes expediton wont allow you to do anything without the key. Anyone have this same issue?
Hello Pizziola29,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your recent concern. We would kindly recommend heading back to your dealer if you have not already done so. If you decide to go this route and we can be of any assistance, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be glad to help.
Laura
JeepCares

Epb1981

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2011 corolla
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant
A thread where people want more nanny tech. Cool. Not! Imagine if your battery on your key fob is low and you must press the key fob against the start button. But now because you wanted FCA to install another pointless nanny tech. You are stuck. Waiting for someone to bring you a new battery for your key fob.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
and could not agree more with 'most men put keys in their pockets'...
'pants pockets!', how does an auto manufacturer not know this? rfid bricks are the worst and the jeeps the worst yet, stupid squared
clip my keys to a belt loop 95% of the time. Have since 2001.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Mine beeps at m that the keyfob has left the vehicle but will still do whatever you need to fill you shut it off
do you have proximity keys where it will auotmatically unlock the doors when you grab the door handle?

The reason i ask, is just today I hopped out of the truck with it running and the key was with me. The truck didn't honk at me at all. And my sport S, DOES NOT have proximity.

Our Pacifica does have proximity, and it beeps if you leave vehicle with keys while its running.

I'm not annoyed my JT doesn't beep at me, i'm just surprised it doesn't. I love being able to leave the vehicle with it running and lock the doors with the fob when its a quick run into the gas station or grocery store when its below zero in Wisconsin.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A thread where people want more nanny tech. Cool. Not! Imagine if your battery on your key fob is low and you must press the key fob against the start button. But now because you wanted FCA to install another pointless nanny tech. You are stuck. Waiting for someone to bring you a new battery for your key fob.
I'm confused. What is the nanny tech that people are saying they want?

Is it that they want the vehicle to not shift to drive without the key near the ignition?
Sponsored