Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd share my experience with my first spray in bed liner job.

Time: 10 hours ( i can probably do it again in 3-5 hours now that i am not Youtubing while bumbling through).
Cost Total: $200+/- (depending on how much materials you already have).

Parts:

$118: Raptor Spray on kit (with spray gun)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CKE7B1E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$13: Adhesion promoter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00397POFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#15: Etch Primer Gray: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006HFM5YG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used my compressor 30 gallon compressor and misc painting supplies from harbor freight (masking tape etc....).

I sprayed at 50 psi.

Overall my experience was positive and had fun as i got a couple of buddies + beer to help, i know some guys will mix in tint to give the finish some color which if i ever do this again.. i might dabble but i did this with no experience and I'll be back for my 1 year update to see how things held up.

20200309_090958.jpg

20200309_090944.jpg

20200308_213430.jpg

20200308_172216.jpg

20200308_125801.jpg
Sponsored

DesertShot

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon JT (White)
Nicely done. I actually have a couple cases of this sitting on the floor. I was going to use it on my ranger, but now I have the JT and am on the fence whether I should use it or sell on craigslist and get line x done.

I've read opinions that for the price difference, and given that it's a $60k truck vs a $5k truck, I should get the line x.

OP
OP
Food2000

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
My mindset was that i will be doing home depot runs, furniture, kayaks/quads and odds and ends with the jeep. In my opinion, my usage or wear and tear of the bed is minor relatively.

However if i were a contractor or someone who uses the bed of their truck hauling heavier loads or equipment regularly... I'd say pay the professional and get the warranty.

The price difference between diy vs professional is minimal but i will note that i enjoy the experience and pride in work, if those factors are not considered.. then yeah.. get the line X.

There is a moment of "wtf am i about to do to my new 2020 JT" before you start hitting your truck with your sander :)

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Food2000 I can bet so, when I had my MJ done back before spray in bed liners was a thing. I'd been having a fit sanding the bed down. Luckily I was going to a event or car show in Louisville KY the day I was having it done. The Line-X place dropped me off and picked me up after it was done. Damn I'm getting old that was almost 30 years ago. :crying: I should have stripped the cab out and had it done too.

MacNobody

First Name
Hamish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
I’m going to be tackling this soon, do you have any words of wisdom that have popped in your head since completing the job?

I don’t have any equipment and will be borrowing a compressor for this. I’m mostly worried about the prep work. I rolled in headliner in my YJ back in 2000 and it was quickly clear where the prep work I thought was good enough wasn’t that good.

Sponsored

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
My one question is, once it dries, how do you untape it? I assume the liner is stronger than the tape and the tape just tears off and stays behind under the liner. Do you need to untape it while it's still wet or something?

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
My one question is, once it dries, how do you untape it? I assume the liner is stronger than the tape and the tape just tears off and stays behind under the liner. Do you need to untape it while it's still wet or something?
My brother and I have done a few projects with the Raptor spray and all went very nicely. I forget the wait time after the last coat for removing the tape for clean lines. Check the directions but I think it may have been 20 minutes or so. It wasn’t long but the Raptor was tacky enough not to run and certainly not dry.

Be patient with the prep. That is THE most important part. You can be a little slouchy if you are Tom Sawyer white washing a fence, but good looking, long lasting auto coatings must be clean prepped specifically for the coating.

My brother and I had fun with it. I’m sure the prep would have suffered had we thought of it as a chore. I do suggest having a second pair of hands.

good luck
Sponsored