Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I have been debating selling my 2011 long travel taco (many mods) and getting a Jt. I never thought I would be considering this but after 10 yrs of ownership, it would be fun to start a new project.

I would like a rubicon, but only if I can order a stripped down version. Either that or a sport max tow version.

Is it better to order up in Idaho? Or can I get a deal here in the valley?
Sponsored

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon, 2016 Husqvarna FE350S
I have been debating selling my 2011 long travel taco (many mods) and getting a Jt. I never thought I would be considering this but after 10 yrs of ownership, it would be fun to start a new project.

I would like a rubicon, but only if I can order a stripped down version. Either that or a sport max tow version.

I'm sure others will chime in and maybe the market is different now than it was in August. No...and I mean zero dealers were willing to work with me on the Wasatch Front. A quick email to Idaho got the ball rolling and was pretty much a seamless transaction.

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I'm sure others will chime in and maybe the market is different now than it was in August. No...and I mean zero dealers were willing to work with me on the Wasatch Front. A quick email to Idaho got the ball rolling and was pretty much a seamless transaction.
What dealer in Idaho? Any contact info to the actual salesman?

Also, I have never bought a vehicle out of state. How did that work? Any extra taxes added to it since you live out of state? Any issue with the DMV here in salt lake ? I would figure I would get screwed at some point on the sales tax.

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Also, I have never bought a vehicle out of state. How did that work? Any extra taxes added to it since you live out of state? Any issue with the DMV here in salt lake ? I would figure I would get screwed at some point on the sales tax.
I dealt with Dennis Dillon in Caldwell, Idaho. My salesman was Gunnar Koval (206-235-9138, [email protected]). You pay taxes when you purchase the vehicle and then they mail the payment to your local DMV. No issues at all with the out of state purchase. It took about 2.5 weeks to get my tags. I think quite a few people have purchased from Peterson Jeep just a few miles up the road from Caldwell with good results.

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2009 Mini Cooper S Convertible

My brother and I both bought from Kent at Peterson Stampede. He's one of the names tossed around when people are looking for deals. My deal was 7% below invoice. Taxes are based on the place you live. You don't pay Idaho taxes. They underestimated my tax bill at the dealer by a few hundred so I had to pay that at the DMV when I registered. No big deal. They had to be paid somehow. The DMV was quick and easy though. The dealer had already sent the paperwork so I only had to let them do a VIN inspection and pay my fees and I was gone in under 30 minutes (Draper DMV).

Kent will ask you what your build looks like so he can give you numbers. Use the tool on the Jeep website and just send him that. I was very happy with the whole arrangement. Communication was bad at first when the JT was first released so they hired some help for Kent to keep track of everything.

The service desk arranged for my lift and tires to be installed before I picked up too. Kent picked me up at the airport the day I took delivery.

Sponsored

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
My brother and I both bought from Kent at Peterson Stampede. He's one of the names tossed around when people are looking for deals. My deal was 7% below invoice. Taxes are based on the place you live. You don't pay Idaho taxes. They underestimated my tax bill at the dealer by a few hundred so I had to pay that at the DMV when I registered. No big deal. They had to be paid somehow. The DMV was quick and easy though. The dealer had already sent the paperwork so I only had to let them do a VIN inspection and pay my fees and I was gone in under 30 minutes (Draper DMV).

Kent will ask you what your build looks like so he can give you numbers. Use the tool on the Jeep website and just send him that. I was very happy with the whole arrangement. Communication was bad at first when the JT was first released so they hired some help for Kent to keep track of everything.

The service desk arranged for my lift and tires to be installed before I picked up too. Kent picked me up at the airport the day I took delivery.
Thanks for the info. At this point I still need to test drive one (or find a rental car company that has one I could rent for a couple days).
Upon that, I still need to clean up my taco and sell it . This might take some time since it is very specalized with all the mods. So perhaps this fall is when this would take place (I travel alot for work) .

I have the configuration spreadsheet found on this site. I have both Rubicon and sport s models configured. Surprisingly, there is only like 5-6k in price difference. And if I can get a stripped Rubicon for around 49k I would consider that. I use my elocker in my Tacoma quite a bit when I go wheeling. Getting factory lockers would make me more happy with the initial purchase.
I like the idea of potentially getting 7% off MSRP.

I will keep you posted with my progress!

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
How much/ what extended warranty did you all get ? Also, does installing a lift void the warranty? I would assume a vehicle like a Jeep, would not have the warranty voided by all the mods owners perform. I am pretty mechanically inclined and do all my own maintenance.

All I really care about from a warranty standpoint is the engine / transmission and freaking AC compressors...

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. At this point I still need to test drive one (or find a rental car company that has one I could rent for a couple days).
Upon that, I still need to clean up my taco and sell it . This might take some time since it is very specalized with all the mods. So perhaps this fall is when this would take place (I travel alot for work) .

I have the configuration spreadsheet found on this site. I have both Rubicon and sport s models configured. Surprisingly, there is only like 5-6k in price difference. And if I can get a stripped Rubicon for around 49k I would consider that. I use my elocker in my Tacoma quite a bit when I go wheeling. Getting factory lockers would make me more happy with the initial purchase.
I like the idea of potentially getting 7% off MSRP.

I will keep you posted with my progress!
Oh no friend, not 7% off MSRP. 7% off invoice. Invoice is a few thousand lower than MSRP to behind with. My MSRP was $60,625 for a nearly fully loaded Rubicon. I paid $54,705 excluding the addons like the lift. The lift is fully covered by the included FCA warranty. I work at a company that offers extended warranties so I got one there with employee pricing but they were offering around $2500 for a 7 year for full coverage including on aftermarket stuff and a $500 deductible while I was there.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S

I just bought my Sport S Max tow from Ken Garf in West Valley. Excellent pricing and below invoice. Check them out.

04229AD7-3DC9-4132-AC30-531813F31386.jpeg

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
Oh no friend, not 7% off MSRP. 7% off invoice. Invoice is a few thousand lower than MSRP to behind with. My MSRP was $60,625 for a nearly fully loaded Rubicon. I paid $54,705 excluding the addons like the lift. The lift is fully covered by the included FCA warranty. I work at a company that offers extended warranties so I got one there with employee pricing but they were offering around $2500 for a 7 year for full coverage including on aftermarket stuff and a $500 deductible while I was there.
That is amazing. I looked at some dealers in Idaho. I saw a Rubicon on the lot for $43k. It nearly had everything I would want. This preliminary shopping is making me feel better on potentially getting a Rubicon for well under 50k.

This is the wrong color, but a basic Rubicon is what I am eventually looking for. Not sure what the as low as price requirements are but this is promising... https://www.petersonramjeep.com/new/Jeep/2020-Jeep-Gladiator-a181806a0a0e0adf70ee2e06a6e9189c.htm

Sponsored

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
For those of you with the auto trans, how is it. I have been driving a manual all my life and this would be my first vehicle that is 'mine' and an auto.

I like engine braking with my 6spd Tacoma. Some other autos with the sport mode shifting seem to be missing gears when trying to engine brake. Especially going down steep roads. This forces me to ride the brakes more than if I were just coasting in a gear in the taco. This could be that I am simply not used to driving an auto..

How many gears does the sport shifting mode offer with the JT? Is it all 8?

For off-road driving if I got the Rubicon edition, I am sure 1st gear low would suit my needs just fine. With that 4:1 crawl ratio.

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those of you with the auto trans, how is it. I have been driving a manual all my life and this would be my first vehicle that is 'mine' and an auto.

I like engine braking with my 6spd Tacoma. Some other autos with the sport mode shifting seem to be missing gears when trying to engine brake. Especially going down steep roads. This forces me to ride the brakes more than if I were just coasting in a gear in the taco. This could be that I am simply not used to driving an auto..

How many gears does the sport shifting mode offer with the JT? Is it all 8?

For off-road driving if I got the Rubicon edition, I am sure 1st gear low would suit my needs just fine. With that 4:1 crawl ratio.
I had the same engine with the older auto transmission in my JK and will say that the new 8-spd is a vast improvement. I run 37" tires and haven't regeared and still have 8th gear on the highway but others have reported that they lost it with big tires. It does sometimes seem to be looking for the right gear going uphill, but mostly it's not noticeable and I'm happy enough with the performance. There are reviews on here from people who've driven both transmissions and most seem to prefer the auto but obviously personal preference is your biggest factor. I'd see if you can find a manual to test drive. An auto should be as simple as going to any dealer though.

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
So went on my first test drive. I am excited with the idea of selling my tacoma so I can get a JT. Some thoughts:

- Driving a solid axle rig will be a different experience. You can definitely tell it is different from an IFS truck. My truck is long traveled (14" of travel up front with 4wd) and bumps don't affect both tires. I did a sweeping freeway turn at about 60 and hit a bump and bump steer is more apparent with the solid axle. This is just due to the fact that it is a linked suspension.

- Driving the JT seemed like I was sitting in a chair (more natural). The toyota seats position my knee caps near the steering wheel ( I am 6').

- I think the steering wheel in the JT is a smaller diameter.

- The JT is definitely narrower than the taco. This will help minimize the pin striping on the trail.

- Driving the JT was about the same noise level inside as my taco. Bigger tires, fiberglass fenders, roof rack make the taco noisy. This is something I am used to.

- Having a digital dash would be kick ass.

- I pulled the JT next to my taco on the return. They have about the same amount of ground clearance. Over the past 10yrs, I put about $12K of long travel suspension mods into the taco. The Rubicon JT on 33's probably has the same amount of articulation as my long travel rig (or a little less), but from a stock offroad perspective should be awesome. I know I can add a 2" lift and 35's to the JT and have more offroad capability than the taco (for less money).

IMG_20200309_125950.jpg

JT_Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About to bite the bullet on gears. Any recommended shops in the greater Salt Lake area? I live in Layton and have received a quote from Fat Bob's. Thanks!

beelzebot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About to bite the bullet on gears. Any recommended shops in the greater Salt Lake area? I live in Layton and have received a quote from Fat Bob's. Thanks!
The Jeep Guy down in Utah county does fantastic work. So does JeepFix out west by Teraflex. Also heard nothing but good reviews about Agility Customs.
Sponsored