Sponsored

Manual Trans? Lift, Tires, Gears?

First Name
Alison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon on order, 2015 JK Rubicon current daily
Who has the manual transmission and do you like it? I have a Gladiator on order with a manual...hoping I didn't make a mistake. Next question - I am trying to figure out how big I want to go with the lift and tires. Considering 40's but would need to figure out what to re-gear it to. Maybe I should just go with 37's and the stock gears? Any opinions welcome...
Sponsored

HTXGladiator

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 HD XL1200X
Vehicle Showcase
I have the manual and love it. No lift/tires yet. Hoping to get 37's this month with new fenders/liners. Will add the lift later, planning on a RK 3" with coilovers so i gotta save some more.

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
Rubicon w/ 4:10 gears, manual trans, 2" lift with 37's. I am running my 37's at 32psi so they are actually 36". Love everything about it but 4:88 gears are in my near future as I rarely get into 6th gear.

Mtneerdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96XJ '20JT6MT
Who has the manual transmission and do you like it? I have a Gladiator on order with a manual...hoping I didn't make a mistake. Next question - I am trying to figure out how big I want to go with the lift and tires. Considering 40's but would need to figure out what to re-gear it to. Maybe I should just go with 37's and the stock gears? Any opinions welcome...
Manual sport s, stock 3.73 gears, on 35's. Hard acceleration in 1st will bark tires, aggressive shift to second at red line will bark them again. Will run 65 in second gear and still crawl well in double low.

The double overdrive would permit crazy low gears if desired, and still leave you with a good overdrive for highway.

It's great. Don't listen to the negative Nancy's on the manual. There's nothing wrong with this setup.

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Rubi manual, stock for now. Added Borla Climber S-type exhaust to add some tone and pep. The clutch on the manual takes some getting used to and it seems to need some break in. At 1400 miles and loving it! The ratios are spread a bit but once you drive for a while, you get the idea that the Pentastar needs to rev a bit. I highly recommend.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Depends on how you intend to use your Jeep, but since you asked for opinion, I'd say manual is really fun and you'll love it; 40s are way too big and heavy for stock JT; even with regearing it's still a Pentastar putting out only so much torque and hp; to each her own but based on my experience with a stock manual I'd go 2" lift and 35s at most, maybe if you regear do 37s at most.

Best advice I can give is don't rush, and run your stock JT for say 3K miles before making any changes, so you get familiar with its capabilities in its stock form, with stock gearing, with stock tire diameter. You'll be much better prepared to make a good choice about changes to gearing, tire size, etc. If fuel economy is important to you, keep in mind it will likely only decrease the farther away from stock you go. I'm averaging 16.5 in stock form (stock Rubi with M/T tires) and that hurts a little.

Only a little, because it's still so much fun :rock:

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Who has the manual transmission and do you like it? I have a Gladiator on order with a manual...hoping I didn't make a mistake...
When did you place your order- did you get in before they closed orders on manuals? Have you gotten a ship date?

Sponsored

OP
OP
bitchymeowmeow
First Name
Alison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When did you place your order- did you get in before they closed orders on manuals? Have you gotten a ship date?
I just ordered it a few weeks ago. It's supposed to be here in April

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I just ordered it a few weeks ago. It's supposed to be here in April
Have you checked with JeepChat? Mine was at the dealer 4 weeks after I ordered.

Westcoastflea

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon 6spd
My manual Rubicon on 38” Patagonia tires with 3.5” RK lift averages 16-17mpg on the freeway. And about 14 around town. There’s plenty of pep in first - third gear. I don’t use 6th until I’m cruising 70+mpg on a flat road. if you’re expecting the same performance as your Wrangler, you’re going to be disappointed, I’ve had a 2 dr JK and 4 dr JKU ( both manuals) and they were speedy relative to the truck.

I would take Wannajeep’s advice and run it stock for a few months before upgrading. Note that you’re going to want to upgrade most of the front steering linkages to accommodate the larger/heavier tires.

OP
OP
bitchymeowmeow
First Name
Alison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi manual, stock for now. Added Borla Climber S-type exhaust to add some tone and pep. The clutch on the manual takes some getting used to and it seems to need some break in. At 1400 miles and loving it! The ratios are spread a bit but once you drive for a while, you get the idea that the Pentastar needs to rev a bit. I highly recommend.
How do you like the Borla exhaust? Which configuration did you get? I’m thinking about the touring with the standard pipes.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
How do you like the Borla exhaust? Which configuration did you get? I’m thinking about the touring with the standard pipes.
Love it. I got the Climber (turned down , rock crawling pipe) in S type which is mid pack. It’s pretty tame. Definitely sounds better and feels a bit more pep and holds gear a bit more on hills. Check out my install and 1st impression video out and subscribe for updates
Sponsored