First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
sorry your statement of “This plus the fact that we have THE BEST HEALTHCARE SYSTEM IN THE WORLD... means that unless you are over 60 and/or have underlying respiratory/health conditions YOU WILL BE FINE...” is simply not true.

It’s about the amount of patients we could have at one time, not about how good our care is.

Your statement about survivor rate may be true, but that just means the estimated infected is higher, which is mostly irrelevant because we only care about people who are unable to get the proper care and die from it. Death rates are real numbers to look at and only time will tell with that. Hopefully the US and world comes out on this okay.
‘We can agree to disagree as we obviously have different opinions. My first job after getting my Masters degree was conducting biological research at UTMB and teaching physiology to first year medical students so I have some knowledge about the body works as I’m sure you do.

The point of my comment was we need to put this into perspective and that the “hysteria promulgated by the media” is BS. As a way to put this into perspective do you know how many people die if the regular flu every year and why is it there is no mass hysteria about it??? Here’s the current status on the situation in the US that is still evolving...

“....While everyone is in a panic about the coronavirus (officially renamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization), there's an even deadlier virus many people are forgetting about: the flu.

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.

The CDC also estimates that up to 31 million Americans have caught the flu this season, with 210,000 to 370,000 flu sufferers hospitalized because of the virus....”
https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year

as I write this we have 3813 reported cases and 69 deaths .
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Now, could more people die of Covid-19 than the regular flu and the answer is yes. This is because there is currently no vaccine available yet, BUT there will be one, hopefully in a few months. Also most researchers are confident that as the weather warms the cases of Covid-19 will subside. This means we have a couple of months until we are over the hump IMHO. With the “social distancing” being preached and hopefully practiced I believe that the number will actually be lower..

EDIT: It has just been announced that Moderna, Inc. is starting human testing on a vaccine that Dr. Anthony Fauci is very excited about. The initial test will be on 40 patients and if all goes well it will be rolled out in 3-4 months...Let’s keep our fingers crossed!
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Sorry your off par on this one. The reality is our hospitals don’t have capacity to deal with a bolus of sick patients from COVID-19. If it spreads super fast, people will simply die because we won’t have the capacity to car for them. This “panic” and “hysteria” is the CDC trying to 1) prevent or 2) spread out the timeline of cases.

Patients mainly die from respiratory issues associated with the virus, which with severe cases you needed a critical care bed and vent, along with staff who know how to manage a patient in those circumstances. Hospitals don’t have that kind of capacity or resources. There is an algorithm going around by the CDC that talks about selecting patients who gets care vs. others. This is usually dependent on age and other risk factors.

What does that mean? If everyone’s grandma comes in the same week, they will say we will only give the best care to the group that has the highest rate of survival (that needs that acute care). All the 80/90 year old grandparents die, most of the 60/70 year old ones will live because they got preference over the older group to get proper care.

We want to flatten out that curse curve of patients coming in all at one time.

Let’s see how those statistics look in 3-4 weeks. Hopefully this doesn’t become a reality.
So what happened when H1N1 infected 60 million people? SARS? Ebola? Swine flu? Avian flu?

Again, there is nothing new under the sun. This has been happening for the entire course of history. The only thing that has changed is that the internet and the media are now conditioned to spread mass panic. Why? I don't know. Political reasons? People are bored? Ratings?

Here's what I know: If a single parent who is struggling to make ends meet already is given the choice between getting sick for two weeks and then recovering and becoming immune to a virus, or, losing their job and ability to feed their kids, I guarantee you that 99.999% of them will pick option A. And that is why the media needs to be shut down, not businesses and schools and restaurants.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
So what happened when H1N1 infected 60 million people? SARS? Ebola? Swine flu? Avian flu?

Again, there is nothing new under the sun. This has been happening for the entire course of history. The only thing that has changed is that the internet and the media are now conditioned to spread mass panic. Why? I don't know. Political reasons? People are bored? Ratings?

Here's what I know: If a single parent who is struggling to make ends meet already is given the choice between getting sick for two weeks and then recovering and becoming immune to a virus, or, losing their job and ability to feed their kids, I guarantee you that 99.999% of them will pick option A. And that is why the media needs to be shut down, not businesses and schools and restaurants.
True, which is why the virus will spread, get many elderly and immunocompromised very sick, many of which will die because our hospitals can not handle that large of volume of patients. Not to mention the patients who are already sick from other reasons and need critical care beds and care.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
‘We can agree to disagree as we obviously have different opinions. My first job after getting my Masters degree was conducting biological research at UTMB and teaching physiology to first year medical students so I have some knowledge about the body works as I’m sure you do.

The point of my comment was we need to put this into perspective and that the “hysteria promulgated by the media” is BS. As a way to put this into perspective do you know how many people die if the regular flu every year and why is it there is no mass hysteria about it??? Here’s the current status on the situation in the US that is still evolving...

“....While everyone is in a panic about the coronavirus (officially renamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization), there's an even deadlier virus many people are forgetting about: the flu.

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.

The CDC also estimates that up to 31 million Americans have caught the flu this season, with 210,000 to 370,000 flu sufferers hospitalized because of the virus....”
https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year

as I write this we have 3813 reported cases and 69 deaths .
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Now, could more people die of Covid-19 than the regular flu and the answer is yes. This is because there is currently no vaccine available yet, BUT there will be one, hopefully in a few months. Also most researchers are confident that as the weather warms the cases of Covid-19 will subside. This means we have a couple of months until we are over the hump IMHO. With the “social distancing” being preached and hopefully practiced I believe that the number will actually be lower..

EDIT: It has just been announced that Moderna, Inc. is starting human testing on a vaccine that Dr. Anthony Fauci is very excited about. The initial test will be on 40 patients and if all goes well it will be rolled out in 3-4 months...Let’s keep our fingers crossed!
Yea I’m fine with the different perspective, diversity is good. The reality is our healthcare infrastructure is not ready for COVID-19 patients on top of the sick people we have from things every year such as flu. So you are exactly right about the other stuff killing people yearly. But the issue with this is it’s on top of what we already have and could be in extreme numbers in a short period of time. That’s were the hysteria is from, we are trying to slow that down and not kill everyone’s grandparents. COVID-19 patients need a higher level of care that most flu patients because of the respiratory component of it.

The vaccine in 3-4 months is a big if, and 4 months is a long time. Lots of people can die in that time frame.

The warm weather is not necessarily true.. look at Florida, it’s warm there year round but they are in the top 10 states with highest number of cases.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Every day the idea of a diesel JT seems farther & farther away. I hope I'm wrong.
Caught myself trying to chose between a diesel Wrangler vs. gas JT. Too much money to spend on something that doesn't make you 100% happy RIGHT??

Sponsored

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Every day the idea of a diesel JT seems farther & farther away. I hope I'm wrong.
Caught myself trying to chose between a diesel Wrangler vs. gas JT. Too much money to spend on something that doesn't make you 100% happy RIGHT??
Go drive a 2020 Wrangler EcoDiesel or Ram EcoDiesel, it will motivate you to hold-off. That's the cure!

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Go drive a 2020 Wrangler EcoDiesel or Ram EcoDiesel, it will motivate you to hold-off. That's the cure!
I did drive a 3.0L Wrangler. Did not help. I felt myself wanting to compromise right then, 'bird in the hand' and all...

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I think is is pretty clear at this point that we may all have more to worry about with respect to COVID-19 than its impact on when we will get our diesel Gladiators. I hope that all on the forum weather the storm well. That said, FCA has closed its Italian factories for two weeks (at this point) and it is pretty clear there will be impacts on diesel engine production to some extent. I think businesses are working hard to protect their people today, but are also looking at ways to get back to making money as soon as possible, so hopefully we will flatten the curve and be back to commerce as normal soon and we can all have our diesel Gladiators, perhaps not before hurricane season, but before the next flu season.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
That said, FCA has closed its Italian factories for two weeks (at this point) and it is pretty clear there will be impacts on diesel engine production to some extent.
Does that include the VM Motori plant?

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I did drive a 3.0L Wrangler. Did not help. I felt myself wanting to compromise right then, 'bird in the hand' and all...
Well, there's nothing wrong with the Pentastar. It will be able to tow and do everything that the diesel can do. It won't have the driving range of the diesel, but that doesn't matter for 99% of the buyers.

It's easy for me to wait. I just ordered a 2020 Ram. My wife said she wants a 2021 Wrangler. Then I have to pay off one of those vehicles before I can buy the Gladiator. If everything works out, I might be ordering a 2024. So, at minimum, I have a 4 year wait!

Sponsored

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Does that include the VM Motori plant?
I don't know. This is from the Wall Street Journal On Line:

Europe’s automotive supply chains are hitting the brakes even as China’s production shifts into higher gear. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV is stopping almost all production in Europe for the next two weeks and Volkswagen AG has shut factories in Italy and Spain, part of a broader retrenchment in manufacturing on the continent. The WSJ’s Eric Sylvers and Ben Foldy write the closures are in part because supply lines with parts makers are breaking down but also because the manufacturers are trying to protect workers with new practices on assembly lines. Companies say they are evaluating production protocols that include spacing workers apart from one another. Industry executives now are starting to think about how they may adjust U.S. operations. The shutdowns in Europe come while Volkswagen says 31 of its 33 plants in China are now back online after weeks of being closed.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The truck is in D1 status, which means the engine is ready to go. That doesn't mean it won't be held-up on some other issue, but it appears to be moving forward.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The auto workers union has come to an agreement for a partial shutdown (at least two weeks).

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
By the actual numbers as of yesterday:

Population of earth with COVID-19: 0.00012%

Survival rate among those who have it: 94.7%

The hysteria and panic over this virus is media-induced and political. The economy is being trashed, peoples' lives are being interrupted, jobs are being lost, kids aren't getting educations, store shelves are bare, and it's just general mass panic over something that's been happening in the world for thousands and thousands of years.

It's scary how dumb the general public has become. Hopefully people will get sick and tired of the authorities lying to them soon and we can get back to our daily lives and try to recover from our losses.
And here we are in October and the survival rate is higher...closer to 99%. And there is a certain political party who is STILL kicking this dead horse for all it's worth, because they see it as a way to steal the election. And, maybe they will because something else that hasn't changed since March is that the general public are still dumb.

There is a LIST of things more deadly than COVID. Why did we never shut society down before this? The answer is obvious.
Sponsored