Sponsored

AirLift rear bag system - info you need to know

AdamH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 23 Wagoneer, 83 Scrambler
Wanted to share my experience installing a rear bag lift system for towing. Hope this helps others.

I have the 2" MOPAR lift on my Rubicon (new taller springs - not spacers as some other lifts)

I originally ordered the Air Lift Company kit specifically designed for the Gladiator. Kit #60830. After receiving it and reading other posts here it makes sense that the kit is designed for stock height JTs. No fault on Air Lift in my opinion - they don't know how much if any lift we may have on our JTs.

I then went through their site where you can design your own kit based off measurements of your current JT. I did just that and came up with the same measurements as some have posted here in other threads. I called support and was advised on Kit #60921 as it has the closest bags based on measurements. This kit has the tallest bags offered. Ordered the 2nd kit with intentions of selling the first Gladiator specific kit.

Wanted to show what you end up with so you can make your own decision on how you go. Below are pics of how both kits compare. Both kits have the SAME bags. In person you can read the full part number on the 2nd set of bags just can't make out in the pics. Also, as you can see, the Gladiator kit actually has a larger spacer than the universal kit contains. So in other words the Gladiator kit is the best you are gonna get for a lifted JT. I found myself with a decision to make so I measured how tall of a spacer I would need for the system to function properly. Turns out by using the spacers contained in both kits I was able to have almost a perfect fit. I installed the system (again by using a total of 3 spacers by combining both kits) and did a field test using a loaded trailer. It worked perfectly and I had no complaints.

I am now going to make my own spacer for the kit so that it is one piece versus the 3 I have now. Not sure if this is technically needed since the 3 I have stacked didn't move or cause any adverse conditions I could feel or see but I have the means to make the new spacer so I will.

Open to any questions / discussions anyone may have.

air1.jpg
air2.jpg
air3.jpg
air4.jpg
air5.jpg
air6.jpg
Sponsored

nc3310

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 1500 Quad Sport
Thanks for the write up! Very informative. Ive been thinking about adding the bags to mine. Do the airbags hinder Offroad performance at all?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Were you towing more than it’s supposed to handle? Seems like you shouldn’t need bags.

To be fair im a novice tower and brand new to the world of trucks.

i dont want to hijack your thread so please feel free to come pm me.

great writeup!

PapaChop83

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revitalizeautospa.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '04 CLK 55 AMG, '21 Kia Telluride
Vehicle Showcase
Were you towing more than it’s supposed to handle? Seems like you shouldn’t need bags.

To be fair im a novice tower and brand new to the world of trucks.

i dont want to hijack your thread so please feel free to come pm me.

great writeup!
Air bags are one of those things that aren't strictly necessary for towing, but make life much easier - particularly for heavier loads. A weight distribution hitch is another example of a "nice to have" that becomes more of a "must have" the heavier your load gets.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Air bags are one of those things that aren't strictly necessary for towing, but make life much easier - particularly for heavier loads. A weight distribution hitch is another example of a "nice to have" that becomes more of a "must have" the heavier your load gets.

Ive been told about the WD Hitch and actually have one ready for whenever I pull the trigger on a pull behind.

what weight is recommended or bro science suggested for airbags?

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
I’d also like to hear your thoughts on it. Things that I wonder about:

Does it effect the ride or ride height when you are not really using them? (I think they want a minimum 5psi at all times so you don’t damage the bag)

Does it effect compression and droop? (Can you still get it to compress down to the bump stops when articulated and full droop without hurting the bag when set to 5psi)

When you inflate the bag to max recommended, (35psi?) how much does the ride height change?

How did you figure how much spacer was required for it to function properly?

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
OP: If it's no trouble, what are those spacer dimensions for each kit? I have a set of Airlift 1000's for a 2007 Suburban that I never installed that have the exact same airbags as the Gladiator kits only the spacer looks quite a bit smaller.

BTW, awaiting delivery of a Sting Grey w Max Tow and this is my first post!!

This Gladiator Forum is a great site with great people. Nice to be on a site where everyone is still figuring things out instead of a lot of other forums where you have the know-it-all's who constantly talk down to people.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I am running the same airbags and have had good success. I also have a 2” lift on a rubicon and noticed a good bit of sag from my 4500lb camper and the airbags make the ride much better with less sag. The bags aren’t noticeable at all when not inflated. No idea what they inflate to I just hook up a pump and fill them until they seem full.

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I went a different rout to get to the same place. I had the Gladiator kit that I bought from another member and after taking measurements the bags are 5x10. I contacted Air Lift and they said that the 60818HD is the Ram kit with 12x5 bags. Two inch longer bags with the Gladiator spacer should hit the sweet spot for my LE with Mopar lift. I have a new job and selling and buying a house so haven’t had time to install them yet.

Tango bravo 4 wheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator / Wrangler
That was great information on the air bags. I just purchased a gladiator and Fri ordered an A.R.E. CX topper for it. I also have a full bed box with two full length drawers. The box is 8” high made from marine grade plywood and once completed, I had it Rhino coated. I had the same topper with the same box installed on my 2017 TRD OffRoad Tacoma. I found that with the added weight of the topper and box, just driving over the normal swells (bumps) we get from freeze/thaw on paved roads out west here, the Tacoma would occasionally bottom out. I hope to alleviate that issue on the Gladiator by installing the airbags from the get-go. Will see how it works out.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Resurrecting this thread because I'm trying to figure out how much these interfere with up-travel of the suspension. It seems like it would have to limit travel? Does anyone know if/how much they prevent travel when they are empty?

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Resurrecting this thread because I'm trying to figure out how much these interfere with up-travel of the suspension. It seems like it would have to limit travel? Does anyone know if/how much they prevent travel when they are empty?
They don’t limit it at all. When I installed mine the bags had some free space above them while I still had the axle dropped down. Now they may become displaced at full droop but they won’t limit anything.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
The question was whether they limit UP travel, not droop.
Sponsored