AEV Pro-Cal Snap - quick review

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Audi A4
I know the Tazer mini is the soup du jour here. I'm not hear to debate the merits of which one is better, more features for your money etc. I went with the AEV simply because it was cheaper, I haven't read a single issue about it and I had used their calibrator on my JK and had no issues. I paid $120 shipped with $5 coupon from Northridge 4x4.

Features wise this device is pretty sparse, but all I wanted to do was calibrate my speedometer for the tire size and it does this just fine. I guess this is the only issue I've read about, it's lack of features.

Install was simple once I figure out how to open up the locks on the OBD connector. There's no need to remove the brackets like the instructions said to pass the wire from one side to the other. They should have thrown in a couple zip ties but not a big deal, I have a bunch in my workshop.

What I will say, if you drive a Gladiator with an automatic and have over-sized tires, you're doing yourself a disservice by not re-calibrating. The transmission shifts so much better and smoother, that it makes the upgrade worth it's price for this reason alone.

The only negative I see is that the Procal snap is a one and done tool. Yes, you can continue to use it with your Jeep if you change tire sizes and gears, but you can't pair this device with another Jeep. Say you sell your Gladiator, you can't sell the Snap to someone else to use on theirs.
Sponsored

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63
I know the Tazer mini is the soup du jour here. I'm not hear to debate the merits of which one is better, more features for your money etc. I went with the AEV simply because it was cheaper, I haven't read a single issue about it and I had used their calibrator on my JK and had no issues. I paid $120 shipped with $5 coupon from Northridge 4x4.

Features wise this device is pretty sparse, but all I wanted to do was calibrate my speedometer for the tire size and it does this just fine. I guess this is the only issue I've read about, it's lack of features.

Install was simple once I figure out how to open up the locks on the OBD connector. There's no need to remove the brackets like the instructions said to pass the wire from one side to the other. They should have thrown in a couple zip ties but not a big deal, I have a bunch in my workshop.

What I will say, if you drive a Gladiator with an automatic and have over-sized tires, you're doing yourself a disservice by not re-calibrating. The transmission shifts so much better and smoother, that it makes the upgrade worth it's price for this reason alone.

The only negative I see is that the Procal snap is a one and done tool. Yes, you can continue to use it with your Jeep if you change tire sizes and gears, but you can't pair this device with another Jeep. Say you sell your Gladiator, you can't sell the Snap to someone else to use on theirs.
Thanks for the write-up. Been deciding between this and the Tazer, still haven't pulled the trigger yet. But given your comment about the shifting, I may have to recalibrate asap.

Rolando

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Install was simple once I figure out how to open up the locks on the OBD connector.
That is exactly where I am stuck. The installation instruction graphics is not clear, and all I have now is a seriously scratched ODB2 connector.

Do you have any hints how you resolved that problem? I am about to give up and return it to Quadratec...

Thanks in advance
Roland

Rolando

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I figured it out.

This whole thing is crap and cheap. After I fiddled with the ODB2 I looked at the cable and one of the pins was broken off in the box, so that I even could not install it. I am happy that I did not remove the brackets and other stuff that is mentioned in the instructions.

It reminded me of building your own PC in the late eighties/early nineties when you had to solder stuff together. No, thank you. I definitely will send it back and do not recommend to buy it.

I will buy a Tazer Mini that has a solid connector that plugs into solid factory connectors.

Last edited:

ron168

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubi, '20 JT Rubi LE, '17 GLS63
I figured it out.

This whole thing is crap and cheap. After I fiddled with the ODB2 I looked at the cable and one of the pins was broken off in the box, so that I even could not install it. I am happy that I did not remove the brackets and other stuff that is mentioned in the instructions.

It reminded me of building your own PC in the late eighties/early nineties when you had to solder stuff together. no, thank you.I definitely will send it back and do not recommend to buy it.

I will buy a Tazer Mini that has a solid connector that plugs into solid factory connectors.
I ultimately went with the JScan solution which ended up much more economical and pretty easy to set up. Worth a try if you don't want to spend on the Tazer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Doolin64

Doolin64

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Audi A4
I figured it out.

It reminded me of building your own PC in the late eighties/early nineties when you had to solder stuff together. no, thank you.I definitely will send it back and do not recommend to buy it.

Sorry you had those issues. I'm not home to take a picture for you. I could do it tomorrow for you but outthats obviously to late. Once I figured out one side, the other side was easy for the OBD2. Personally I read an about too many people having issues with their tazer here for me to want to go that route. The procal is very limited but once installed it did what I needed.

Rolando

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I ultimately went with the JScan solution which ended up much more economical and pretty easy to set up. Worth a try if you don't want to spend on the Tazer.
That looks interesting, but I feel burned from the experience and having to cobble together various parts from different sources doesn't create confidence (esp. when the cable from your original link is not available anymore and I would have to guess the correct one that Amazon shows as recommendation).

I saw a "lite" version of the Tazer that does all the basics, including TPMS settings, and I will check off the additional $100 as tuition fee for me ... don't go cheap, but buy a "fully baked" item. It also seems that it won't be fixed to one car, so if I switch cars in the future I can either reuse or sell it - not that this is in the cards right now, the Gladiator is just four weeks old.

But thanks for the suggestion :)

Rolando

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Sorry you had those issues. I'm not home to take a picture for you. I could do it tomorrow for you but outthats obviously to late. Once I figured out one side, the other side was easy for the OBD2. Personally I read an about too many people having issues with their tazer here for me to want to go that route. The procal is very limited but once installed it did what I needed.
Thanks for the offer!

graydiator

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the Prosnap that was included in my AEV 2” spacer lift in about 15 minutes and it paired up easily and was easy to program.

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
Installed the Prosnap that was included in my AEV 2” spacer lift in about 15 minutes and it paired up easily and was easy to program.
for the life of me I can not figure out how to take the old port apart and AEV's instructions have more contradictions than information.

with no slack to work with and if you screw up the old port your vehicle is probably fubared

first product of AEV's that I am disappointed in, there is a video of the AEV employee installing one and even he doesn't emphasize the taking part of the port.

Ridiculous.
Sponsored