Sponsored

Waterproof Solder Wire Connectors vs Crimp Style Wire Connectors

aegiscpo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Jeep Gladiator Waterproof Solder Wire Connectors vs Crimp Style Wire Connectors {filename}

Anyone have experience using the waterproof solder style connectors? (Could not get the photo to post, but a basic GOOGLE search will yield the pictures) These are available in many different quantities on AMAZON. Really like the idea of a self sealing connector that also "solders" the connection. Wondering if anyone has used these instead of the traditional crimp style connectors?

Second question... any reason why I could not use a Male to Female Blade type connector or a Male to Female Snap connector for wiring to the aux switches? I am thinking of putting the Female end on the AUX wire and a Male connector on the device I am wiring it to, that way in the future I could "unplug" the wires and re-configure my connections... Your thoughts?
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I would have thought about that idea on connectors and I even have some weather pac connectors I ordered on Amazon. I did think about installing by the bumper at factory fog light connector after I installed more lights.:( I'm going to have to pull front bumper off to install a skid plate.
The solder connectors I don't have. But I'm a solder and seal wires and don't ever like using butt connection or the like. I have a 12v soldering iron to keep and use in Jeep (s) my MJ has soldered connections from 90s still with out a problem. They have been though hell from snow storms, rain and seawater.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
The connection on those isn't great. Best connection is made with solder then conventional heat shrink, the kind with adhesive that oozes out while heating. You'll never have an issue.

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
I have used the solder connectors for years without issue. They work great provided you use the correct size. They shrink down and seal well.

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
IF I'm going to use a butt connector (instead of soldering or using a spade connector (or similar)), I normally use the crimp style that also shrink. Basically, marine butt connectors, not automotive. I've never had an issue with them. However, as cecca850 stated, soldering and adhesive shrink wrap is the best option for a connection that will never ever fail (assuming you know how to solder properly).

Sponsored

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I've never used the solder style connector. I was planning to use bullet connectors with my aux switches.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I've never used the solder style connector. I was planning to use bullet connectors with my aux switches.
I ended up doing this with the aux wires and it’s really nice. I makes knowing what goes to what switch really easy and adds ground points the factory wiring doesn’t offer. Sue or easy install too.

https://badgeglow.com/product/simpleaux/

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Since my other post on them I have ordered and used some. A plus is you can melt the solder will a "Bic" lighter and seal it to. I did use even more heat shrink tubes on them. A big plus is no solder dropping in carpet and no spatter. Quick and solid connection. Clean wire and connector then sealed from water penetration.
A few negative points... Sizing, you might not be able to get insulation in the tubing. You have to strip wire just right for best results. Wires have to overlap the correct distance.

Jeep Gladiator Waterproof Solder Wire Connectors vs Crimp Style Wire Connectors {filename}

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
In a past life I was mil spec qualified in soldering and a certified inspector for same. Knowing that wires should always be clean and tinned before soldering, this doesn't always happen using the self sealing tubing with a ring of solder inside. Its complexly at the mercy of how clean the wire is and how it will accept solder. There is no guarantee the connection is complete and free of debris.

Carefully stripping the wires with no nicks, cleaning them, tinning them, making a good mechanical connection then soldering using mildly activated rosin core solder, then cleaning off the rosin, then sealing the connection in hot glue heat shrink is a mil spec acceptable way of joining wires.

Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Another consideration with soldered wires is that the edge of the solder can make that juncture more brittle. This is bad if wires are subject to vibration. Ensure there is good strain relief extending onto the wire to minimize flexing at the solder edges.

Last edited:

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I have rigged and rewired several boats, I have always used Ancor heat shrink crimp connections and terminals, this is pretty much the standard in the marine environment, never had a problem doing it this way on a number of projects on Jeeps and trucks I have owned.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Soldering and crimping wires isn’t a worry when I have Kuject heat shrink self-solder connectors. Users won’t have to master crimping or using solder iron with this product. It accomplishes this by including a soldering ring, activated via a heat gun that gives a solid and perfect connection. Meanwhile, the hot melt adhesive inside seals the connection between the two wires, thus rendering the link waterproof.
Informative thread, revived by a shill account for the company that sells the brand connectors he recommends on Amazon. I know this because he has used the exact user name and location in another forum, where he also lists his occupation as CEO of said company.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I ended up doing this with the aux wires and it’s really nice. I makes knowing what goes to what switch really easy and adds ground points the factory wiring doesn’t offer. Sue or easy install too.

https://badgeglow.com/product/simpleaux/
Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist? Why add additional connections to a circuit when you don’t need to?

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Informative thread, revived by a shill account for the company that sells the brand connectors he recommends on Amazon. I know this because he has used the exact user name and location in another forum, where he also lists his occupation as CEO of said company.
I caught a whiff of that too. Thanks for doing the legwork.
Sponsored