msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
This build journal will progress steadily over the next few weeks. I bought most of my mods before taking delivery of my JT. But, I will need to balance "remote work", "family time", and this build ... or so I've been told. ;)

Living in MI, I couldn't get a deal that was close to the one I got from Craig at Koons in VA (@Koons_of_Tysons_Corner ). I ordered Feb 20 and was told Mar 20 that it was built & had arrived in VA ... that was FAST! I went ahead and took delivery Tue 3/24 despite the COVID complications. I flew from Detroit to Baltimore for $18, then took a series of trains for another $11 through DC to Koons in VA ... amazingly smooth travels ... very little waiting. I completed the purchase with no High 5s or handshakes ... keeping 6ft 'social distancing'.

First mod (before leaving the dealership) - replaced wire whip antenna with the same 13" one I put on my JLU.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00651CLCS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Antenna Old.jpg

Antenna New.jpg

... then drove 9hrs home :rock: to complete an 18hr day. The drive completed my engine 'break-in' as well as my Death Wobble test in stock form.

Beast is read for more ... after some "remote work" and "family time" ...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Living in MI, I couldn't get a deal that was close to the one I got from Craig at Koons in VA. I flew from Detroit to Baltimore for $18, then took a series of trains for another $11 through DC to Koons in VA ... amazingly smooth travels ... very little waiting...
Well done! You should document your itinerary, especially the train connections, for others who would be interested in traveling for a good deal and don’t have a trade in.

OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well done! You should document your itinerary, especially the train connections, for others who would be interested in traveling for a good deal and don’t have a trade in.
I'll probably post this in the Dealerships Thread as well.

BWI airport - (Baltimore) is a hub for Spirit, so Spirit flights are especially cheap. Public transportation from Baltimore to Koons takes about 2hrs 35min, but it only costs about $11. The savings was worth the extra time to me.

(I used Google Maps, selecting public transit, to plan my route based on the day & time I figured I'd be off the plane.)

After getting off of the plane, head to "Ground Transportation" to catch a free shuttle to the MARC amtrak station.
~$6 - Take the Acela Express to Union Station (the ticket peeps will sell you what you need if you tell them your destination ... "Union Station")

At Union Station, exit the train and go down the stairs to head toward the "Metro" rail. The ticket person here was VERY helpful. Tickets can only be bought via kiosk with like 20 button presses required.
~$4 - Take the Metro rail to the Metro Center Station.

At Metro Center Station, get off of the train, then face the train as it leaves. Wait there for another train on the same track titled Silver-"Wiehle Reston East".
Take that train to the Greensboro Station.

At Greensboro Station, exit the train and head up the stairs where you will need to pay for that 2nd Metro train in order to exit. ~$1 (cash or change required).

Take the overpass walkway to the right, then angle left to the Koons dealerships. (walk past Koons Chevy & maybe another before arriving at Koons Jeep) Total time from the Baltimore airport to Koons is about 2hrs 35min. It goes by fast, but plan your flight & appointment time with Craig Benner accordingly.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Congratulations! Score on the 18 bucks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Washed the bugs off of my grill, headlights, and hood ... then installed my hood protector.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Ventshade-436148-Aeroskin-II-Hood-Protector-Textured-Black/283409896697?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Front hood guard.jpg

Then, a 3-way bumper swap ... Removed bumper from JLU, then removed fog lamps & wire harness. Installed fog lamps & wire harness onto new EAG bumper. Removed bumper from JT, then installed it on the JLU. Then installed the EAG bumper on my JT.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BP37G7Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Bumper swap before.jpg

Front new bumper.jpg

I nearly completed the install of a Smittybilt X20 synthetic winch, but wasn't going to have enough daylight to finish the solenoid mount & wiring to an Aux switch. That'll be the next update.

OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Alright! Winch is assembled, mounted, and wired to a solenoid & Aux 3 under the hood.

I used a steel bracket I had laying around as a mount for the solenoid (idea from other forum members). I put a few soft pads between the bracket and the paint on the JT.

I had to crimp & solder a few ring terminals which I did with a propane torch (sooo much faster than using a soldering iron for larger wire!)
Winch Wiring.jpg

Solenoid - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HMDMLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still need to spool the line with tension. I just spooled it by hand for now to get it out of the way.
Winch.jpg

Winch - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smittybilt...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My front skid plate was going to leave a 4" gap under the bumper, so I contacted EAG about it. Hopefully I'll have a skid under the bumper soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Front skid plate is being returned to EAG. Just received an email back from them. Apparently they don't make a front skid that fits a Gladiator and is compatible with their bumper. :angry:

I spooled my winch line under tension ... which also verified that my Aux 3 through solenoid to winch wiring is solid! I mean, I expected it to work :fingerscrossed:, but you just don't know until you test it.

Installed my HardRock rock sliders today. I really like that they cover the pinch seam at the bottom of the body and also mount to the body mounts on the frame. Solid! Their down-angle should also serve as a reasonable step when I get 37s on. Despite the down-angle, they're still higher than all of the belly skid plates.
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-80104.htm

Rock Sliders side.jpg
Rock Sliders front.jpg

OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Front skid plate is being returned to EAG. Just received an email back from them. Apparently they don't make a front skid that fits a Gladiator and is compatible with their bumper.
I mounted the skid plate rather than returning it. I really like both the bumper & the skid. I just don't like that they leave a 3" gap. Since EAG doesn't make a skid that will cooperate with their bumper, I decided to keep both & just cover the gap with a piece of sheet metal, screw it to the bumper with stainless self-tapping screws, and hit it with spray-in bedliner.

Before:
Skid gap.jpg

After:
Skid no gap.jpg

I think it'll last. If not, I'll devise a new solution. Suggestions welcome (in the event that this doesn't last).

OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Big day today! I finished a few installs ... bed rack & tonneau cover, dash phone mount, and I also swapped the wheels/tires with my JLU.

In order to transport my mtn bikes on the tailgate, I need to be able to remove the bed rack's rear crossbar. So, I replaced the sets of bolts on both sides of it with 5" long stainless carriage bolts & wing nuts. I coated the exposed surfaces with a spray bedliner so they will blend visually.
Tonneau closed.jpg

Bed Rack QR bolts.jpg

Bed rack tailgate open.jpg

The Bed rack & Tonneau combo was a little bit tricky. I applied some 5/8" weather stripping between the bed rack mounts to seal with the tonneau rails. I have to roll it, then shift one side to get it past the bed rack pillar, then continue to roll. I knew I'd have to do that going into the project, so I'm ok with it.
I also have the cap removed ... ready to wire & install 12v DC power to the bed. I'm just waiting on the parts.
Bed rack & Tonneau mounts.jpg

Here's the in-dash phone mount I'm using.
phone mount.jpg

After the tire swap I took a few pics, profile & front. I have a lift ready to install this weekend. I'm just going to run these tires until they're worn out. I plan to replace them with 37" Patagonias at that time.
wheel swap profile.jpg

Front with fogs lit.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You aren't messing around. Knocking out a lot each day for sure.
I just have the 12v outlet to wire once it arrives, and the Mopar lift to install this Saturday. Amazon keeps postponing the delivery of my bed power parts because they aren't "essential items". Maybe I should've ordered hand sanitizer with them haha.

OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A buddy came over yesterday to give me a hand with my Mopar 2" lift. Within that install I added a 0.75" Daystar spacer to the front, and also installed my JKS quicker disconnect swaybar links. I left a slight rake intentionally. I want to get closer to level and still prevent that saggy back end look despite moderate cargo.

It was a nice break from social distancing. We were chatty ... Jeep stuff, COVID, politics, family, hopeful upcoming trips, etc. We wrapped up at dusk, so we went to a local parking lot that works well for adjusting headlights. (He's been getting flashed for 8 months after his 2.5" lift and 35s on his JLU) We got flashed by almost every vehicle on the way to the lot. Having done the adjustment on my JLU in 2018, we were able to properly adjust his JLU & my JT headlights very quickly. No one flashed us on the way home. :like:

I took some pics of the lifted JT this afternoon just before my wife and I went for a hike on some nearby trails.

Lifted.jpg

Lifted at trail.jpg

The paint on the rock sliders is pretty smooth, so I cut & applied strips of grip tape to the spots used as steps. In person, you can hardly tell the tape is on the rails. The picture conveniently created contrast showing tape more clearly.

Grip Tape.jpg

Still waiting on the bed power parts to arrive ...

OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My Etsy vinyl decals arrived ... mtn biker, rock climber, and "Adventure Begins Where The Road Ends" circle. I also received the 1.5'x5' roll of satin black vinyl wrap to measure/mask, cut, and apply to the inset area near the front fender flare as well as the 'ribbon' above and below the 'adventure' decal in the rear.

Youtube videos of vinyl wrap application make it look reasonably easy. While I'm happy with the result, the recessed area behind the fender flare pushed my youtube education to the limit. :whew:

Jeep Gladiator The BEAST Decal front

Jeep Gladiator The BEAST Decal rear

Jeep Gladiator The BEAST Decals full JT

OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I now have my main front to back wire terminating at an Anderson style connector for my air compressor. I tied into that line for a pair of 12v cigarette outlets with a 30amp inline fuse as well as a double USB outlet with a 5amp inline fuse. This is all currently connected to my Aux 1 wire in the engine compartment (with its 40amp fuse).

Wired & ready to test before mounting.

With aux 1 pressed.

The inflation Octopus I built for my JLU works fine with the Gladiator despite the extra length. I followed TrailRecon's guide. ("4 Tire Inflation System - DIY")
Jeep Gladiator The BEAST Air Compressor Octopus

Voltage drop while running my compressor (kept engine running throughout test). I think the voltage drop is mainly caused by the lower gauge factory wire used for aux 1. The wire for aux 1 seemed much smaller than the 10AWG I used for my connections in the rear.

I only aired down 10psi, then back up ... and didn't time it. If I'm not happy with the performance, I might switch my engine bay wiring to get max power to my compressor. I'd put a ring terminal on the heavy gauge wire I ran to the engine bay to connect it to the solenoid along with my winch. If so, the winch & bed power will both be run from the battery via aux 3. I can't foresee an instance where I'd use both the winch and the bed outlet at the same time, so I imagine that would be an acceptable wiring option.

Supplied screws wouldn't 'self tap' despite pre-drilling holes almost as large as the outer edges of the threads. I used some 1/2" self tapping stainless screws for now. I may end up painting the heads of them.
Sponsored