Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
1) Anyone see any FAD Skid plates thicker then 1/4 inch? I only looked at a few this AM and all were 1/4 inch?

2) This product from Dana to eliminate FAD is interesting but wouldn't a true 1 piece axle shaft be much better. Nice they offer it but "splicing" an axle half??? Open ot expert opinions here. At this point in my JT's miles and use this is not something I would need but.......

Dana Spicer 10045078 Front Axle Disconnect Removal Kit for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dana-sp...MIhb6jspK46AIVWNyGCh3VZwgAEAQYASABEgIMvvD_BwE
Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The 1/4 inch Rock Hard skid, for example, uses stock bolts. Even if you upgrade to 12.9 Allen head bolts, they would remain the weak link with a thicker plate. Look around under your JT. There is a lot of stuff that is allergic to big rocks. I am not overly worried about the FAD.

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
1) Anyone see any FAD Skid plates thicker then 1/4 inch? I only looked at a few this AM and all were 1/4 inch?

2) This product from Dana to eliminate FAD is interesting but wouldn't a true 1 piece axle shaft be much better. Nice they offer it but "splicing" an axle half??? Open ot expert opinions here. At this point in my JT's miles and use this is not something I would need but.......

Dana Spicer 10045078 Front Axle Disconnect Removal Kit for 18-20 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT

https://www.quadratec.com/p/dana-sp...MIhb6jspK46AIVWNyGCh3VZwgAEAQYASABEgIMvvD_BwE
I have used a similar kit on earlier Jeeps to eliminate the same system (then called CAD) and they hold up well

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm another that has used the "CAD" replacement axle shaft kit on my XJ one of the interesting parts is that axle (D30 CAD" axle assemble was as strong or stronger than the none disconnect axle tube wise not axle shaft. I don't know of many right side shafts failure other than that disconnect part not locking in or out. But was problematic after a few years due to vacuum lines. I'm sure I wasn't the only person that though WTF is Jeep doing bringing it back other than for MPG. I expect more to come out with a kit to replace the whole axle shaft with a single part to replace the be 3 part assembly

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
I'm another that has used the "CAD" replacement axle shaft kit on my XJ one of the interesting parts is that axle (D30 CAD" axle assemble was as strong or stronger than the none disconnect axle tube wise not axle shaft. I don't know of many right side shafts failure other than that disconnect part not locking in or out. But was problematic after a few years due to vacuum lines. I'm sure I wasn't the only person that though WTF is Jeep doing bringing it back other than for MPG. I expect more to come out with a kit to replace the whole axle shaft with a single part to replace the be 3 part assembly
I was fortunate to not have the disco 30 on my XJ. They were problematic for the reasons you mention. I decided to go with a Spicer chromo FAD delete on the JT. Still waiting on it to arrive.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was fortunate to not have the disco 30 on my XJ. They were problematic for the reasons you mention. I decided to go with a Spicer chromo FAD delete on the JT. Still waiting on it to arrive.
So you had a late model XJ with the low pinion front axle? The mid 80 to early 90s XJ with the 242 T-case had a good high pinion D30 too. I was going to swap a 242 into my MJ.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
So you had a late model XJ with the low pinion front axle? The mid 80 to early 90s XJ with the 242 T-case had a good high pinion D30 too. I was going to swap a 242 into my MJ.
It's a '98,. Came with high pinion D30, 231, 8.25. Now has 4:1 and Currie high pinion 9".
Sponsored