Sponsored

Bad steering box 68418449AE

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Upper right hand corner. Thats the “non-adjustable” adjustment screw.
I saw that but the measuring procedure says that it's non adjustable. I have no idea why they have a picture of someone with an alen wrench in their hand and the wrench in that particular bolt.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Scrubb84

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I saw that but the measuring procedure says that it's non adjustable. I have no idea why they have a picture of someone with an alen wrench in their hand and the wrench in that particular bolt.
That was the whole reason for my comment about it. Anyways, I’m with jrf at this point. I could keep wasting my time and fight to get a 4th steering box, but the problem is they are sending these boxes from the same pile of unknown # of garbage boxes from a warehouse somewhere. Apparently my luck is so bad that if there is a hundred boxes in that pile and only 10 of them are the bad ones, those will be sent to me, while 90 other ppl would get the good ones. F M L

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I've installed the Steering rack brace and a Fox ATS steering stabilizer and it is better but nothing but a good steering box will fix this problem with loose steering. Sure wish I would have kept my 04 TJ Rubicon.
My Jeep likes my money

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Thankfully mine seems to drive fine. For those that are having the issue, would you say it's predominately a wander issue on the highway or slop in the steering between the steering wheel and road wheels?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
This is what tightened up my steering. Night and day difference. It doesn’t look like Jeep is going to address it so this might be your best fix.

mine isn’t profoundly bad, just feels like a bit of bump steer. Ill give this a shot. $200 on quadratec before club discounts. So seems like its worth a shot!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Scrubb84

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Thankfully mine seems to drive fine. For those that are having the issue, would you say it's predominately a wander issue on the highway or slop in the steering between the steering wheel and road wheels?
There are many parts that could cause the dead-zone between the steering wheel and the tires. The slop that we have is in the steering box itself. You can turn the input shaft or steering wheel and visually see that the pitman arm (steering box out put shaft) does not move for a considerable amount, 1-4” inches.

Rayzzz

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
You said it spot on Scubb84. Play is in the steering box. I can say that that I'm glad I did add the steering sector shaft brace to Gladiator because my Jeep needs help staying out of the ditches and out of peoples front yards. .

There are many parts that could cause the dead-zone between the steering wheel and the tires. The slop that we have is in the steering box itself. You can turn the input shaft or steering wheel and visually see that the pitman arm (steering box out put shaft) does not move for a considerable amount, 1-4” inches.

1238413869_a40316232c_z.jpg

OP
OP
Scrubb84

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Is this the same issue as what this OP describes in this thread?? https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/loose-steering-fixed.21823/

If I had gone to the dealer for 3 or 4 box replacements, I would try this method instead.
You are correct about that being the problem, but do you really think I or any of the others should have to risk adjusting a brand new steering box on a $50K Jeep? Good thing I didn’t try it myself, on the second box the dealer tried to adjust it and snapped the whole adjustment screw off.

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
You are correct about that being the problem, but do you really think I or any of the others should have to risk adjusting a brand new steering box on a $50K Jeep? Good thing I didn’t try it myself, on the second box the dealer tried to adjust it and snapped the whole adjustment screw off.
Oh i agree. I am doing all my research to see if I want to get rid of my 2011 Tacoma in order to get a JT. Little things like this are making me question the idea. I understand manufacturing defects and statistics, but if the dealer has replaced 2-3 boxes already and the problem isn't fixed, there is something fundamentally wrong with the supply chain and QA. At least you have warranty. I would be a thorn in the dealers side and pester them until the issue goes away. If they order a new box, have them bench test it before putting it in (Torque test). Im sure if they order enough of them, they will find one that works.

Sponsored

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I have another idea and it could be stupid or genius....
I went to my local dealer and checked every JT for the bad steering box. Just open the hood, reach in and turn the steering shaft while watching the steering wheel through the windshield. Its very easy to see if its good or bad. They have 1 bad out of 8 currently. If we ALL do this at lots across the country and post the vin #’s of the bad ones on all social media, maybe they will be forced to fix it. Thoughts?
Have you mentioned this to the dealer? Did they question what you were doing to there JT fleet? I am curious if they will take the time to fix it before actually selling it. My guess is that they will not fix it since they wan't it off the lot asap since most vehicles are just sitting.

Also curious if the bad steering box can give a false/ positive?

Concentric_Killa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Rubi JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Mech Engineer
They didnt question me this time. Last time I wrote down the s/n’s from every steering box. I was hoping to find a pattern with no luck.
My goal with this idea isnt to hurt the dealerships. I feel like we need to let every single potential buyer aware of the problem and even better if we could put the actual vin #’s of the bad ones in the media.
As far as a false positive, NO. Once you feel/see a bad one it’s clear as day. Its easier to tell by just touching the steering wheel, but I would think most are locked sitting on the lot, so I just open the hood and check that way.
Good work. Whenever I am ready to purchase a JT, I will be checking this. Out of all the little manufacturing defects/ issues I have read about, this seems to be the biggest (along with the front axle disconnect). I use 4wd quite a bit so having a 4wd system that works every time is just as important as being able to safely control the vehicle. I would love to get my hands on that spread sheet of affected VIN's/ SN's. Im sure it can be narrowed down to a specific manufacturing run.

I am also curious if there is some correlating data that relates to other seemingly un-related parts/ problems.

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, 2009 Toyota Tacoma
They have 1 bad out of 8 currently.
My first thought when I read this was to ask the dealership to yank one of the (in your opinion) good boxes out of the new vehicle and install it into your vehicle. If I were the dealership (setting aside any corporate, etc. red tape to do this), this would be THE way to get you to go away. :)

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, 2009 Toyota Tacoma
YES!!! I have asked, begged, & bribed (attempted) them to do just that many times. They will not even consider it. I guess they do like me? I know I’m sick of me, lol.
I don't know if it's a "thing" anymore. I haven't worked at a dealership in 19 years. In extreme cases, our dealership would do that.