First post and my cursed Friday the 13th gladiator

Alec_Fields

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2014 Honda Pilot, 1991 Acura NSX
First post. Glad to be a member. First vehicles I learned to wrench in were my dads CJ5 and CJ7. Used to take the doors and top off to go fishing in the winter in Ohio (45 mins from where the gladiator is made). Always wanted one but needed a vehicle with a bed for motorcycles.

I had such a hard time finding the exact truck wanted and was really stuck sacrificing things I wanted while paying more. Tried to get one shipped here for a dealer trade and they were told there was a recall and the truck I wanted would need fixed. So I had one built and the price was actually better than all the other ones I looked at.

So whenever the factory in Toledo reopens I may be able to officially “join the club” and be a Jeep owner. I ordered a black rubicon with a 6-speed manual, hard top, tonneau cover, bed liner, LED group, alpine stereo, proximity key, leather seats, front trail cam, and towing package........ I’ll be looking for side mirror replacements when the doors are off, remote start (even with my manual), steel bumper with winch, dead pedal solution, and decent seat covers, and an intake and catback exhaust. Any solutions out there or advise on things to avoid or check out?

-Alec
Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Dead pedal sulution? Your getting a stick AKA manual transmission. No need it's not a dead pedal;).

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
You might consider taking advantage of current discounts by test driving one with 8-speed auto. I am a life long stick fan and driver, but the new 8 speed is wonderful with the 3.6 engine, converting it from marginal to very good. You get more first gear plus torque converter to take off, and more overdrive for economy on the highway along with less engine wear. There are a lot of JT's out there, and some of the dealers are motivated to sell.

OP
OP

Alec_Fields

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dead pedal sulution? Your getting a stick AKA manual transmission. No need it's not a dead pedal;).
my main complaint was where to put my foot when not shifting. The other two vehicles in my drive way have a 4th “pedal” to comfortably keep your foot. My question is can you use one of the dead pedals for an automatic in a manual because I know there is little space but there has to be some fix for this.

F7AF40A1-E4A2-4C86-85CF-88E0A7CFED44.jpeg

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
my main complaint was where to put my foot when not shifting. The other two vehicles in my drive way have a 4th “pedal” to comfortably keep your foot. My question is can you use one of the dead pedals for an automatic in a manual because I know there is little space but there has to be some fix for this.

F7AF40A1-E4A2-4C86-85CF-88E0A7CFED44.jpeg
You are sitting more straight up with a Jeep, and there is a lot of leg room, so, it is easy just to rest your foot in front of the clutch. I also have 3 other stick shift cars, and I found it quite natural. No issue for me.

OP
OP

Alec_Fields

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are sitting more straight up with a Jeep, and there is a lot of leg room, so, it is easy just to rest your foot in front of the clutch. I also have 3 other stick shift cars, and I found it quite natural. No issue for me.
I am not sure how tall you are but it just felt odd to me. My seat was pushed back but having my gas foot at an angle and clutch foot flat just felt odd. I have never had a vehicle that didn't have an angled position for the left foot including my wife's automatic. I only test drove the manual so maybe it is something I will get used to but I will avoid having to just get used to it if there is a solution out there. I even tried to just go flat foot in my manual truck today on a 4 hour drive and kept catching my left foot on the angled spot.

OP
OP

Alec_Fields

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You might consider taking advantage of current discounts by test driving one with 8-speed auto. I am a life long stick fan and driver, but the new 8 speed is wonderful with the 3.6 engine, converting it from marginal to very good. You get more first gear plus torque converter to take off, and more overdrive for economy on the highway along with less engine wear. There are a lot of JT's out there, and some of the dealers are motivated to sell.
I have considered it even though I have never owned an automatic and the gladiator will be my 10th vehicle. My ultimate hesitation comes from the fact that the automatic costs more. I got a GREAT deal on my truck (though I still have to wait for the factory to open and build it) and the only way I could even accept the automatic is if there was a substantial price reduction but I would never pay more for an automatic and if I had to choose automatic I would probably wait for the diesel.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
:like:make it you'rs:)
Sponsored