Sponsored

Bobs BoxTop Camper

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Now being furloughed do to this Virus I have been trying to keep myself busy. Been getting work done around the house and on the jeep when the weather allows. I decided to go with a 2 tone paint on the hardtop. White textured paint on the sides and leave the top black textured. Next will be the Rhino backbone system. I am working on customizing the brackets on top. The only thing that I don’t like on the backbone system is each bracket has only 1 bolt to secure the rack. I am going to change this and add 2 more bolts per bracket. This way there will be 3 bolts per each bracket. I will post more on this later. I am also making my own mounts to work with the customized brackets.

9CEC646D-4C8D-411D-A025-1A3D17849B12.jpeg

A7B0146F-78AA-4F73-8C1D-B36A529BBF59.jpeg
Well what does it look like ON the jeep?
Sponsored

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
Subscribed and watching. Looks good

OP
OP
Bobs85Reny

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 Renegade, 81 Cj8 Scrammler, 84 CJ8 Scrambler, 89 YJ Laredo, 06 Wrangler LJ, 86 CJ7, 02 Liberty, 16 jeePatriot
So its been a while since I posted any update. My camper project is still moving along. With everything going on and having been out of work for many months my financial situation has slowed everything down that is non essential. However It has given me time to to work out some design enhancements.

I have done some work to the JKU so it will support my camper. Hardtop is now installed with the Rhino backbone system and some of the graphics are complete. Next step is my modification to the backbone system. The base structure of the system is fine. The main thing that I don't like about the backbone system is that there are only 6 screws on top that would secure the rack. I feel that this was a weak spot in the design of the back bone. I have some design enhancements that I am going to make.

Instead of using the pioneer rack I am going to create a custom rail system that will attach to the backbone plates and strengthen the mounting points giving it at least 3 screws per plate as opposed to 1 per plate as it is designed now. I will post more on this as I start prototyping it.

Here are some of the current pics of the JKU.
Jeep Gladiator Bobs BoxTop Camper IMG_5043
Jeep Gladiator Bobs BoxTop Camper IMG_5042
Jeep Gladiator Bobs BoxTop Camper IMG_5044

OP
OP
Bobs85Reny

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 Renegade, 81 Cj8 Scrammler, 84 CJ8 Scrambler, 89 YJ Laredo, 06 Wrangler LJ, 86 CJ7, 02 Liberty, 16 jeePatriot
The old Sahara wheels I put on my LJ. My LJ is more of a DD and tows my boat so I don't run anything really big as far as a tire and wheel combo. This is how I spent most of my covid lockdown time. either on my boat or paddle board.

Jeep Gladiator Bobs BoxTop Camper IMG_5029

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
So its been a while since I posted any update. My camper project is still moving along. With everything going on and having been out of work for many months my financial situation has slowed everything down that is non essential. However It has given me time to to work out some design enhancements.

I have done some work to the JKU so it will support my camper. Hardtop is now installed with the Rhino backbone system and some of the graphics are complete. Next step is my modification to the backbone system. The base structure of the system is fine. The main thing that I don't like about the backbone system is that there are only 6 screws on top that would secure the rack. I feel that this was a weak spot in the design of the back bone. I have some design enhancements that I am going to make.

Instead of using the pioneer rack I am going to create a custom rail system that will attach to the backbone plates and strengthen the mounting points giving it at least 3 screws per plate as opposed to 1 per plate as it is designed now. I will post more on this as I start prototyping it.

Here are some of the current pics of the JKU.
Miss you Bob! Glad you're still plugging away on this.

DeOhYouGe

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Fiber optic and metallic cable splicer
I am waiting on pins and needles to see how you can get the total weight of your build to meet your goal with the pool table base. Bravo to you and your "recreational motivations" but, maybe ping-pong might serve (yeah, funny guy, can't help myself) better.

Really, nice work. The saying still rings true, "If you want something done right, do it yourself, then have your wife look at it, post it on the web, take it to work, then promise self never to share anything again. Got it off ebay/yard sale/found it if ever asked again."
Sponsored