Sponsored

Skinny 35 or 34s C or D

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Having some trouble. When I buy my Gladiator I'll be installing a 2.5" spacer lift. I'd love to have 35s or 34s with some new 17" wheels. My two issues are

1. Too wide. Seems all the cool 35s have a 12.50 width. My dad is a cop and he told me I'll risk getting pulled over because here in Pennsylvania no tread can stick out past the fenders. Though he did say they don't enforce that law as often as they used to. Then theres a law about how wide your fenders can be. He suggested something less noticeable like 11.50 or less. BTW he has a 2006 Wrangler Golden Eagle and it's pretty awesome.

2. So many larger tires are E rated. I was hoping for a C or D rated tire. Am I overreacting about the rating? I've been told E tires are noisy, rough and heavy. Was looking at the Mastercraft CXT. I've had Mastercraft in the past and really liked them. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you. This is my first post.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Check out the Kenda Klever RT 35 10.5 17, there is a guy on here with them, they look great, I do not have any first hand knowledge. Another option if you go to 18" wheels would be a 285 75 18, also 35" tall and 10.5" wide, Toyo makes a tire in that size.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
Having some trouble. When I buy my Gladiator I'll be installing a 2.5" spacer lift. I'd love to have 35s or 34s with some new 17" wheels. My two issues are

1. Too wide. Seems all the cool 35s have a 12.50 width. My dad is a cop and he told me I'll risk getting pulled over because here in Pennsylvania no tread can stick out past the fenders. Though he did say they don't enforce that law as often as they used to. Then theres a law about how wide your fenders can be. He suggested something less noticeable like 11.50 or less. BTW he has a 2006 Wrangler Golden Eagle and it's pretty awesome.

2. So many larger tires are E rated. I was hoping for a C or D rated tire. Am I overreacting about the rating? I've been told E tires are noisy, rough and heavy. Was looking at the Mastercraft CXT. I've had Mastercraft in the past and really liked them. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Yes. Not only do you run the risk of getting pulled over by the state police you also will not be able to get it inspected. Although I see people with wide tires all the time and have no idea how they get theirs inspected. Maybe they put the stock tires back on or know someone that lets it slide. Those garages that do that will get busted. It varies in different parts of the state and depends on the state police presence where you live. Where I live we have a local police and they usually don't bother anyone with wide tires.

You should check out the threads in this forum because there's a plethora of info. If you get a 35x10.5 you can keep it on the stock rims and they won't stick out. If you get an aftermarket wheel with the wrong offset then you'll have problems; and that's why you need to check out the existing threads. Check out Tire Rack, they have tires listed by brand and size and what their load range is https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/tires/by-brand.html

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/bigger-tires-on-unlifted-sport-s.16928/

GladiatoRic

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

35x12.50 bfg MTs on stock wheels fit under sport max tow fenders completely and legally. These ride smooth and perform great.

45B296EA-5E42-4593-AA85-A761156DEE18.jpeg

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Most 35 12.5 17 tires recommend a minimum rim size of 8.5" and many shops will not mount them on wheels that do not meet the minimum width. Not sure the stock wheel width, 7.5" or 8" I believe.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most 35 12.5 17 tires recommend a minimum rim size of 8.5" and many shops will not mount them on wheels that do not meet the minimum width. Not sure the stock wheel width, 7.5" or 8" I believe.
7.5"

OP
OP
TrainMan

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Thank you very much everyone. I've never heard of Kenda Tires but the reviews look good.

AJ-MJ

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Grand Cherokee and 1954 Willys
Occupation
Retired
Check out Nitto Trail Grappler 35X11.5R17 or 285/75R18
and Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75R18

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I’ve always been a fan of 34D’s personally.

Actually, 35’s will fit nicely and look great!

Sponsored

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, 2009 Toyota Tacoma
I’ve always been a fan of 34D’s personally.
:LOL: :clap: Good one!

Long ago, I lived in MD and would come up to PA to wheel. Definitely remember the drama of tire coverage, as they were getting the out of state folks, too.

LR E is definitely a stiffer tire, but I've found if you run a little lower pressure then it isn't so bad. But, this is on my heavy Land Rover. The weight of the vehicle is a factor... the ride would feel much stiffer in a light weight vehicle than in a much heavier one.

Raven257

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 2500
The CXTs are pretty aggressive tires, I have a set on my Ram 2500. They were a little squirrelly on corners (tread dept is 18.5/32) when new but seem fine now. They were great in the snow. Not too loud-really can't hear them over the diesel

BTW if you'd like an expensive and aggressive tire Goodyear makes a 275/80/17. If I was getting tires right now, I'd get the Kenda's (they've been making tires for a long time).

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having done the big tire thing on my previous Wranglers I think I'm going to stay stock or close to stock. I've been looking at 255/75R17 and the pizza cutter 255/80R17. But I prefer white letter tires so the only white letter in the 255/80R17 is the BFG KM2 and I don't really need a mud terrain but I could sipe the treads for better on-road traction. I have a tire groover and have siped tires in the past. My '14 JK had the stock BFG KM and the lugs had no grooves at all and I used the tire groover on all the bare lugs. Or I may go back to the Cooper STT Pro in the 255/75R17. I had the 295/70R18 Cooper STT Pro on my '14 JK Willys Wheeler. Or I could stick with the stock 245/75R17 and get the General Grabber ATX. Waiting for DTD to have another 15% sale.

20160505_165321-640.jpg
Sponsored