Sponsored

Is it me, or does the JT really struggle...

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I’m barely getting 11 MPG around town. I put the meter front and center and am very conscious of my pedal discipline. I expected at least 15 MPG and a larger gas tank. A range of less than 300 miles per fill-up is irresponsible today.
Lift and tire size? I'm hitting 8-11mpg accelerating up hills on a stock JT with heavier M/T tires on steel rims (but approximately the same size as OEM).

Other than that, with the hilly nature of KY I'm getting 17-19mpg combined with M/T tires and about 20-22mpg with OEM A/T on ally rims.

I'm very cautious of pedal discipline. Things like conserving momentum and maintaining speed going up hills without having to floor the accelerator are things that stuck with me from my dad's teachings.
Sponsored

Glady8ta

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2020 Gladiator Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Its not a lack of power, its the inability of the Auto transmission to read resistance from drive train. That's why i bought a manual transmission. I can't expect something with solid axes and a transfer case to think for me. :)

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its not a lack of power, its the inability of the Auto transmission to read resistance from drive train. That's why i bought a manual transmission. I can't expect something with solid axes and a transfer case to think for me. :)
Hmmm hadn't thought of that. Guess I'll try using the manual shifting option on my 8spd automatic

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
I thought I read it was same motor as 1500 ram just a different cam??

Austingobi

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator S
Once its paid off it's getting a supercharger. Hopefully the price will come down a bit by then too. Getting 16 mpg overall in its stock( 4.10 // 33's) configuration .

It is what it is.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I’m barely getting 11 MPG around town. I put the meter front and center and am very conscious of my pedal discipline. I expected at least 15 MPG and a larger gas tank. A range of less than 300 miles per fill-up is irresponsible today.
Love to know how this was achieved. On a fill up I get 352 Miles worth of driving, and I at least average 18.5 MPGs. Almost 20 on the trip to Elizabeth City. I never got gas mileage that bad on my 2010 JKU on 37's with 3:73 gears.

Scenario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Lift and tire size? I'm hitting 8-11mpg accelerating up hills on a stock JT with heavier M/T tires on steel rims (but approximately the same size as OEM).

Other than that, with the hilly nature of KY I'm getting 17-19mpg combined with M/T tires and about 20-22mpg with OEM A/T on ally rims.

I'm very cautious of pedal discipline. Things like conserving momentum and maintaining speed going up hills without having to floor the accelerator are things that stuck with me from my dad's teachings.
I have the Rubicon. No lift. Stock 33” AT knobbies.

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
I the 8 speed auto Max tow and I haven't had it above 3000 RPMs ever that I can think of, that's includes a trip through the Virginia Mountains. Do not know how unless you stomp on it you can get it even close to 4,000 and I'm on 35's
I'm on stock 33s. Mine is a Rubicon with 37s. Don't get me wrong once at cruising speed the RPMs drop significantly but it seems to downshift quickly and rev up especially if you hit the gas to climb hills. I live in Northeastern PA and we have plenty of hills. I'm curious what the difference will be once I install my lift and 37s. My JTR also only has 1500 miles on it, nor sure if that has anything to do with it.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I'm satisfied with the 3.6, it is way better than the 3.8 in the 07-11 JKs.

Having said that, it really is not up to towing 7000 lbs which is why I a going to order the diesel as soon as it's available.

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ‘95 YJ
Wow. And I was disappointed with 15 mpg with my bigger and heavier tires.

Sponsored

Scenario

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Love to know how this was achieved. On a fill up I get 352 Miles worth of driving, and I at least average 18.5 MPGs. Almost 20 on the trip to Elizabeth City. I never got gas mileage that bad on my 2010 JKU on 37's with 3:73 gears.
Yours must be a manual tranny?

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Wow. And I was disappointed with 15 mpg with my bigger and heavier tires.
Wow, was lucky to get 12 mpg highway on my 2016 Rubicon with 35's and 4.56 gears. With stock tires and 4.10 gears I got 18 on the highway.

Who cares, there is more to life than MPG I tell everyone. I don't buy Wranglers for the gas mileage, I have my new Cherokee for that.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anyone wants to compare mpgs, there is a thread for that.

I AM curious how your mpgs drop going uphill on pavement. Off pavement, the engine is amazing

TPiz

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2019 JL Rubicon
I have heard some of the aftermarket plug ins (Pulsar, Pedal Commander) will do wonders. I had it on my 08 JK and it did do a world of difference. Just haven't tried it on the JL or JT.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/pulsar/inline-performance-programmer-jeep-wrangler-jl-3.6l-42451
Here was some people talking about it on the forums:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...t-the-gladiator-over-300hp.22935/#post-359277

Thanks! I'll look into that. The hangup for me is my insurance company (Geico) verbally told me that per their internal documents/guidelines anything that increases horsepower voids coverage. When emailed for clarification, something in writing, and where in my Policy it was located (because I couldn't find it), they went radio silent. And while I am bound only to what is in my Policy contract language, if they deny a claim because of a supercharger or anything that increases HP, I'd probably have to sue them to get coverage, and that's a hassle.
Again, the only thing that would be nice about these modules is that they will do programming over the ECU and will not leave a footprint (according to what I read...I'm not expert). So that helps with warranty and insurance policy.

Flexin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon AKA 'Sky Walker'
Do you have the premium audio group? Fixed that problem for me...
It really is a great radio!!!

Thanks! I'll look into that. The hangup for me is my insurance company (Geico) verbally told me that per their internal documents/guidelines anything that increases horsepower voids coverage. When emailed for clarification, something in writing, and where in my Policy it was located (because I couldn't find it), they went radio silent. And while I am bound only to what is in my Policy contract language, if they deny a claim because of a supercharger or anything that increases HP, I'd probably have to sue them to get coverage, and that's a hassle.
It’s changing the shift points, just like you can do manually. I would just shift manually to your liking.

If anyone wants to compare mpgs, there is a thread for that.

I AM curious how your mpgs drop going uphill on pavement. Off pavement, the engine is amazing
JMO, don’t waist time comparing MPGs, too many variables people don’t mention, like drivetrain ratio, state posted speed limits, actual driving speed, let alone customization or gear (weight) not mentioned. Speed limit here on highway is 70 and people, not me, do 80 or more :)

Well if I did 55 my mpg is 19 with a lift and 38” tall 13.5“ wide tires. At 70-80 it’s 14-15 mpg. But at 80 on a head windy day, my sleek body catches the wind almost like a kite, lol, and it will drop. Let alone the grade of the hill, approach angle, do you have a winch and steel bumper, more or less weight in the back.... The resulting variances are maddening.
Sponsored

Last edited: