Bestop EZ Roll Tonneau

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Here's some pics of the Bestop EZ Roll Tonneau that I installed this weekend. The straps at the corners are the rear latch releases.
jt tonneau.jpg

jt tonneau rear corner.jpg

jt tonneau rear corner 2.jpg

You have to remove the side rail cut out to get to the bolt holes for the rear clamp, I used a plastic spreader to avoid damaging the paint.
jt tonneau rail cut.jpg

jt tonneau rail cut 2.jpg

Here's the rear clamp bolted in.
jt tonneau rear clamp.jpg

Here's the front mount and you can see the front rail seal gap.
jt tonneau front clamp.jpg

The front rail seal gap from outside. I just need to cut the seal so it can seat on the front of the bed,
jt tonneau front rail gap.jpg

Here's the rear latch mechanism.
jt tonneau rear rail latch.jpg

Another shot of the rear latch also showing the rear rail seal. The tail gate has to be shut before the rail is latched down for it to seal.
jt tonneau rear rail latch 2.jpg

Close up of a rear latch release.
jt tonneau rear rail release.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the Black Diamond version for $354.99, I purchased it from Northridge4x4 using a 10% discount code. It has a limited lifetime warranty from Bestop and there is currently a $50 rebate. Price wise this gets it close to the cheap Amazon covers and it uses Bestop fabric with a lifetime warranty.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
How do you like it? I've been looking at this one, but I haven't seen any reviews.

How well does it keep out water?

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do you like it? I've been looking at this one, but I haven't seen any reviews.

How well does it keep out water?
It looks well sealed to me. We had rain last night and it was drizzling on the way to work, the bed stayed dry.

As far as how I like it, so far, so good. It's pretty much as it looks in the pictures. I like the rear clamps, simple but effective. You can leave the release tabs on inside so it's secure when the tailgate is locked. The only thing I wish was different so far is you can't shut the tailgate when the cover is closed, you have to open the cover, shut the tailgate then close the cover.

I'll have a more informed opinion after I've lived with it awhile.

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
Cool. I was wondering if the latches could be secured. I'll need some dry storage for trips.

Does it require the trail rail to install?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool. I was wondering if the latches could be secured. I'll need some dry storage for trips.

Does it require the trail rail to install?
No, the rear clamp works with or without the trail rail.

Edit: It's the front clamp that converts to work with or without the trail rail. The rear clamp is the one that bolts to the side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My satisfaction with this Bestop EZ Roll Tonneau is somewhat lessened of late due to the difficulty of getting it opened. When I first installed it, you could release the latches one at a time and open it. Now that is been install for a few days, when you pull to release the latch, it re-latches when you let go. I was having to apply constant upward pressure on the rail while I released the latches one at a time in order to get it opened.

I called Bestop support and was told to pull both latches simultaneously. This works, but good luck if you have short arms. It is good to know my tonneau is secure from being opened by a TRex, but I'm sure a frustrated TRex will get it opened somehow.

I think there is a simple fix, I going through my adhesive backed foam insulation collection looking for some that is thick enough top push the rail up a little when latch is released so the latch doesn't re-latch.

Last edited:

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
My satisfaction with this Bestop EZ Roll Tonneau is somewhat lessened of late due to the difficulty of getting it opened. When I first installed it, you could release the latches one at a time and open it. Now that is been install for a few days, when you pull to release the latch, it re-latches when you let go. I was having to apply constant upward pressure on the rail while I released the latches one at a time in order to get it open.

I called Bestop support and was told to pull both latches simultaneously. This works, but good luck if you have short arms. It is good to know my tonneau is secure from being opened by a TRex, but I'm sure a frustrated TRex will get it opened somehow.

I think there is a simple fix, I going through my adhesive backed foam insulation collection looking for some that is thick enough top push the rail up a little when latch is released so the latch doesn't re-latch.
Have you noticed a difference depending on the ambient temperature?

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you noticed a difference depending on the ambient temperature?

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
It's likely that a tensioned top applies rotational (opening) pressure on the rail, pulling it open enough that the latches can't re-latch and my now loosening top has lost that tension. I thought about retensioning the top to see if that fixed it, but I was concerned that it wasn't a long term fix. I was hoping for a better answer from support, but my initial foam results are promising. I tried papa bear foam and baby bear foam, as soon as I find mama bear foam i think I'm good.

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since being installed a couple weeks ago, the top seemed to have completed an initial stretch so I tightened it up today. With a tight top, the latches are working correctly. The tension of the top lifts the rear rail enough that the latch can't re-latch unless there is downward pressure on the rail. I like the simple design of the latches and will continue to do so as long as frequent adjustment of the top tension isn't required.

I also put some 1/8" nylon spacers behind the rear clamps due to them pushing against the plastic top rail cap. I could have notched the top rail cap, but thought that would not look good when the tonneau was removed.

Before:
jt tonneau rear clamp.jpg
After:
jt tonneau front clamp spacer.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm having a new issue with my Bestop tonneau, one of the end caps that secures the middle bow failed. I did get through to Bestop support and have an ETA of 5 weeks for a replacement. I expect the replacement to eventually have the same problem.
Jeep Gladiator Bestop EZ Roll Tonneau bestop tonneau bow 2

In the mean time, I happened to have a threaded 1/2" PVC pipe plug that looked very similar in size.
Jeep Gladiator Bestop EZ Roll Tonneau bestop tonneau bow 2b

After a little sanding - success. I don't think this will fail like the Bestop plug.
Jeep Gladiator Bestop EZ Roll Tonneau bestop tonneau bow 2c

GatorJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Mortgage Banking
Vehicle Showcase
I'm having a new issue with my Bestop tonneau, one of the end caps that secures the middle bow failed. I did get through to Bestop support and have an ETA of 5 weeks for a replacement. I expect the replacement to eventually have the same problem.

In the mean time, I happened to have a threaded 1/2" PVC pipe plug that looked very similar in size.

After a little sanding - success. I don't think this will fail like the Bestop plug.
Mine is doing the same thing.....

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It
I wondered if others were having the same issue. Luckily PVC is soft and easy to sand. I drilled the center hole then secured a bolt through the hole so I could spin it in my drill to facilitate sanding.
Jeep Gladiator Bestop EZ Roll Tonneau bestop tonneau bow 2d

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Overland
So guys - is this a buy or no buy since all of you have had this tonneau for at least a winter now, and on top of that dealt with Bestop support. I would like to get a tonneau for mine - and don't get me wrong I'm not cheap - but some of these prices are pretty steep.

I would like to spend somewhere between 350-400 for a roll up but that's about as far as I'd go.

Thanks

g1jb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator North Edition
So guys - is this a buy or no buy since all of you have had this tonneau for at least a winter now, and on top of that dealt with Bestop support. I would like to get a tonneau for mine - and don't get me wrong I'm not cheap - but some of these prices are pretty steep.

I would like to spend somewhere between 350-400 for a roll up but that's about as far as I'd go.

Thanks
I have the Bestop tonneau cover as well. I haven't had an issue with the end caps, and generally speaking it's held up fine in both summer and winter weather here in Michigan. Personally, if I had to do it again I would get a Truxedo. The Truxedo covers I've had on other trucks didn't have the rear latch system like this that needs to be pulled simultaneously. The Truxedo ones also roll up better in hot weather, in my opinion. Several times when it's around 80+ degrees the supports for the cover fall below the rails and it's just a pain to get right again.

So nothing is problem enough for me to hate the cover, I would just go with a Truxedo one if I had to do it over again. Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored