Sponsored

Rear-view mirror RAM ball installation

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I'm pretty used to not having my rear-view mirror because of a rack on my last truck and with a cap coming for the Gladiator, I'll continue to not use one. Beneath the standard mirror (i.e. not the adaptive cruise camera unit version) is a screw holding in the retainer that is M4x0.7 and I decided to put it to use. Just documenting this here in case anyone else was interested in something similar.

I bought all my hardware from McMaster-Carr and had the RAM ball on hand but you can use whatever you want as long as you get down to that M4 hole. I strongly suggest hex-shaped adapters so you can torque it down more easily.

A few observations:

• I'm using blue loctite but no verdict how well this will hold up with something on an arm. If this fails I'll be going up to red. Loctite requires certain metals (aluminum and stainless are not included) to accelerate curing so give it a solid 48 hours before you put too much torque on it.
  • The mirror bracket (that the retaining clip is attached to) is cast aluminum and held in by 3 larger screws under the trim. It's like a $20 part so if you screw anything up or end up doing something more permanent (like red loctite) or strip out the small hole, it's a cheap and easy part to replace later on. Just be careful not to strip it out - get it fairly tight and let the loctite do its job.
Required Parts for my setup:
  • MMC P/N 94768A102 | 1/4"-20 to M4-0.7 stainless thread adapter (aluminum one is identical dimensions too)
  • MMC P/N 90313A301 | Oversized #6 screw washer (tighter fit than the M4)
  • RAM P/N RAM-B-348U | RAM 1/4"-20 B-size (1") ball with female threads
Instructions:

(1) Remove the mirror by gripping it firmly and rotating it 90 degrees counter-clockwise (to the left while sitting in the driver seat). You should feel it overcome the retainer clip and it will drop down.

(2) Up inside you'll see a small T15 torx screw holding in the retainer clip. Remove the screw and retainer (it will hold itself in place but pulls out easily) and clean out the hole.

(3) install the washer and thread adapter using loctite and torque appropriately. It's a 1/2" socket if you use the part above but a 13mm works all the same. I did it by feel with a mini 3/8" ratchet but be careful as the M4 threads will strip relatively easily if doing this with a wrench or larger ratchet.

(4) Install RAM ball using an installed arm to torque it down.

And that's it. The hole in the panel allows easy installation of B size arms and there's sufficient space for cables and the like if you're running a radio head unit or something like me.

coOub5x.jpg

deAhfcE.jpg

2cd50we.jpg

oqIpeoc.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for write up, can you snap a pic of the mirror mounting end. I'm wanting to flip the mirror over for better view out of windshield or modified it to set higher up if possible.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes if you can.. sorry for not getting back I lost track of this one.;)
I'm not removing mine but wanting to "flip" the mirror over for less obstructed windshield. For some reasons everyone designing vehicles or whatever thinks no one is over 5'9" :( let alone over 6' :).

Sinon Peters

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Awesome mod !! How did it hold up ? I'm thinking of doing the same thing but I'm putting a CB up there! It's heavier so I'm debating on using the 3 bolts that is securing the bracket itself to make a custom mount. Is it overkill ?

OP
OP
LostWoods

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Awesome mod !! How did it hold up ? I'm thinking of doing the same thing but I'm putting a CB up there! It's heavier so I'm debating on using the 3 bolts that is securing the bracket itself to make a custom mount. Is it overkill ?
Still going strong and I've used it pretty much non-stop. Haven't even had to so much as tighten it since install.

You could do something with the beefier bolt holes but honestly it can hold weight surprisingly well. A lighter CB unit would probably be fine but if I were doing that I'd probably do something more custom. The RAM mount for me is more about the ease of removing the radio head when parking since it's just a knob and a cable.
Sponsored