First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I agree, I am a huge fan of the ARK Pack and lithium batteries. Both systems have their pros and cons. I have decided that for me a generator seems to make more sense.
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
As the guy who was stirring the pot suggesting generator us I decided to go with a hybrid solution. I was at Academ Sports and saw the Minnkota trolling motor power center with two 12V plugs and liked it. I found it on Amazon for $45 and bought one. Battery is still pending but and not $100% sure which one I want. Looking at BattleBorn Renogy LiFePO4 or a run of the mill AGM. I also took advantage of the Tractor Supply Black Friday sale and picked up a couple Generac IQ2000 inverter generators for only $499 each. Snagged a parallel kit off of Amazon so I am prepared to go battery or generator power for my hopefully upcoming trips. If you need help motivating your other half to let you buy not just one but two generators I used the fact that Tennessee is notorious for ice storms and we are setting up for a harsh winter. The dual generator setup I got will power the gas furnace to keep our house warm during a power outage.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Minn-Kot...nter-1820175-Doesn-t-include-Battery/20511018

https://www.newegg.com/p/0JB-001X-0...VhIjICh0hNgxkEAQYAyABEgKD7fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am also going to pick up one of these systems. They make one that will run two generators off of one tank. Seems more convenient to me to have two tanks with one unhooked so I can go fill the one not in use. Still carrying the same amount of gas just in an easier to use form.

http://www.genxdirect.com/generator...-fuel-system-tank-included-part-gnc-iq2000-s/

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
If you really want a fridge and are on a tight budget, just get one that shuts off automatically when your battery voltage reaches a certain level and power it off the vehicle battery. You'll probably be fine just plugging it into an accessory outlet. Carry one of a multitude of the tiny jump-starters just in case. You should always have some type of jump starter in your vehicle anyway. But be aware that fridges are finicky when it comes to power supplies. If the plug does not maintain a great connection or if there is some other reason your accessory outlet is not providing sufficient voltage, the fridge will shut off.

There's no way I would want to carry around a generator that required gas or propane fuel. There are plenty of other portable power options such as Goal Zero or ArkPak that do not require carrying fuel. More power or convenience always equals more money. For a couple of years, I used the ArkPak 730 with a standard and cheap 12V battery. I switched to the LiFePO4 battery in the ArkPak mainly because of the weight savings (at least 30 lbs less). Several companies make cheaper battery box power centers that include 12V receptacles...or build your own. Just insert the automotive battery of your choice.

While I could have continued to use the ArkPak with the 100Ah LiFePO4 battery, I wanted something smaller since I now keep the fridge inside the cab rather than in the bed. So I picked up the Dometic PLB40. The footprint is less than 8 inches square and it only weighs 16 pounds. But yes, it is expensive. I paid $850 (again, convenience = more $$). It's only 40Ah vs the 100 Ah I have in the ArkPak, but I've run the Dometic fridge for at least 2 days when ambient temps were well over 100F...and I can charge it when the vehicle is running and it is still supplying power to the fridge. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've installed dual Odyssey battery systems in 2 previous Jeeps just to power a fridge. I have found portable power sources to be much more convenient and they don't require complicated installations. Each of my dual battery installations required modifications to the Jeeps. Another advantage to a portable power source over dual batteries is that you can move it to another vehicle...or anywhere in your camp.
Have you had the chance to see how long the PLB40 powers your Dometic? I’m sure it has a good lifespan or they would have made it bigger. Math would suggest that a 100Ah AGM would last about 25% longer than the PLB40. I know what Dometic advertising says but looking for real world experiences.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Have you had the chance to see how long the PLB40 powers your Dometic? I’m sure it has a good lifespan or they would have made it bigger. Math would suggest that a 100Ah AGM would last about 25% longer than the PLB40. I know what Dometic advertising says but looking for real world experiences.
I think Dometic's advertising is pretty accurate or even a bit conservative. They claim it will run a fridge for a weekend, but I don't believe they specify which fridge. It has powered my CFX-40W (with the insulating cover) for a couple of days in the middle of a Moab summer and reached about 40% before I plugged in the DC charging cable. It is much more convenient than installing dual batteries, which I will never do again. It is so easy to charge the PLB40 that I don't see any reason for a higher amp-hour capacity. Space is at a premium in the Gladiator's cab, which is why I replaced my ArkPak (containing the Battleborn 100Ah) with the PLB40. It is half the size and weight of the ArkPak setup. If necessary, I can stick my 63-qt ARB and the ArkPak in the bed of the Jeep, but for now those are both sitting neglected and unused.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I have the CFX95DZW so it will never see any time in the cab of my truck so the MinnKota powerstation with a group 31 size deep cycle battery will serve me well. I am no math guru but I am pretty sure the plug in the bed of the Gladiator will power an up to 26 amp external charger. That would make charging a battery in the bed of the truck too easy. But if I am out where I am not driving the truck the inverter generator could power the 26 amp charger without breaking a sweat.

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
who knows how loud this is, microphones sometimes make things sound way louder. i think he's also in a garage which would be WAY louder than outside. pretty neat.
Nice emergency backup, but not for me. When I'm out in the bush, I'm there for the peace and quiet.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Nice emergency backup, but not for me. When I'm out in the bush, I'm there for the peace and quiet.
lol, yeah I hear ya. i'm researching a lot about DC to DC chargers, solar mats and auxiliary batteries now.....there is so much info about this stuff. You could easily waste a few hundred, to a few thousand in electrical stuff that you may not need/want.

I like to be super informed before I drop that kind of coin.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
lol, yeah I hear ya.
Actually, I make a point that you wouldn't hear me either! :angel:

I hate it when I go out in the bush to get away from people to get some peace and I encounter people who are out in the bush to get away from people to make some noise. :angry:

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Actually, I make a point that you wouldn't hear me either! :angel:

I hate it when I go out in the bush to get away from people to get some peace and I encounter people who are out in the bush to get away from people to make some noise. :angry:
i just want to go to MOAB and CRANK DEATH METAL......by myself of course.

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
. The little Ryobi propane generator evidently wasn’t for anyone...I had decided to buy one and they are discontinued.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
In honor of the upcoming Easter holiday I decided to resurrect this old thread with an update. I got a little carried away and bought both a Champion 2000 and. Generac 2000. The Generac is much quieter than the Champion. Both of the generators will power the Dometic CFX95DZW without even bumping up to fast idle. I have decided that the best way to utilize my setup is to let the trolling motor battery power the cooler at night and run the generator to recharge the battery during the day. Once I get the Decked out of my truck I will be able to use the bed pug to charge the battery while driving. And in a true wild hair move I bought one of the little propane generators off of EBay to test my system. They are no longer a Ryobi they are marketed as a Baja 900 watt generator. I will get it tomorrow and run some tests over the weekend to see how it does.

Both the Champion and Generac can run almost 24 hours at slow idle powering the cooler and charging the battery. I would estimate that 1 gallon of gas would get me a week or more of time if I use the battery until it needs charged and then charge the battery and start over. The generators will charge the batter at least 2 or 3 times.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Both the Champion and Generac can run almost 24 hours at slow idle powering the cooler and charging the battery. I would estimate that 1 gallon of gas would get me a week or more of time if I use the battery until it needs charged and then charge the battery and start over. The generators will charge the batter at least 2 or 3 times.
are they charging the starter battery or something else?
the trolling motor battery
can you elaborate more on this?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
We have two friends who live in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands that were devastated by the last hurricane that went through there. One had a day old baby and the other had health problems...

Anyway we bought each of them a Generac generator and had Fed Ex overnight them. Believe it or not they got there in two days when nothing else was happening! Long story short they both used their Generac’s for months until power was restored and they had zero issues with them.

That was a pretty good testimonial if you ask me. I’m sure you’ll enjoy yours.
Sponsored