Sponsored

Aftermarket Passive Entry/Keyless Entry ideas?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the BCM was married to the main computer?
Security thing. Those of us stripping the older Jeeps to get the 4.0 engine and PCM had some real trouble with the security bits in there.

Could be wrong but the guy here knew his stuff, believe it or not, said it simply didn't work/couldn't be done. I even told the guys my wife and I wanted it so badly we'd simply want it done even if it took a couple grand to do it.

After-market solution would be cool - as long as it didn't trigger the horn and alarm when you unlocked it. I found that if my wife stayed in our Jeeps when I ran into a store for car stuff, if she locked the doors from the inside with the fob, she could not manually unlock it without setting off the alarm. There were combinations the security part simply did not like.
The Jeeps we have had do not like being locked withe one method and unlocked with another. It seems to vary - so I wonder- how can they unlock and not set off any alarms? Apparently it's doable, there are systems sold - or were. I note many are "out of stock" and have not seen anything installed on a vehicle later than 2017 or so in the online reviews.

OP
OP

Ncoughran0

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Wait a few months for a Gladiator with proximity to be totaled, then buy the BCM from it and swap it in. It's not that the BCM can't be flashed, it's that the dealer doesn't have the know-how or tools to do it.

This is a great idea... the next question becomes how do I find a gladiator that's been wrecked??

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is a great idea... the next question becomes how do I find a gladiator that's been wrecked??
Oh if it were only that simple........

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
I suspect that if we ait a while and something becomes available through Mopar it will only work with a model that it was originally available on. Sorry Sports. And aftermarket solution would probably be the only way. With the fact the the JT and JL share enough in the electronic area it might provide enough demand. But it will probably be pretty troublesome to integrate. Best option would probably be a bluetooth or NFC device that recognized your phone like some of the residential locks on the market.

Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
The manufacturer and dealers have an extreme disincentive to find or allow a solution to this; the proximity feature is something that some buyers want enough that it's significant a traction point to upsell them into a substantially more expensive vehicle. Is it doable? Probably somehow by somebody. Is there enough reward in it for someone with the skill and equipment needed to suss it out to actually do so? Probably not. The DIY-able route might be to get a standalone RFID receiver and put an RFID tag on your keychain, and somehow interface that in parallel with the locks and controls- but that might send the existing sensors, security, etc., into chaos.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Looks like some of those totaled Gladiators were in need of the safety braking assist package