Where to wheel in the DMV

Bennett

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JT
I am looking for somewhere within a short drive to get my JT off-road. I’m not looking for anything crazy, I just want to take my son out for some off road driving while he’s out of school. I’m located in northern VA.
Sponsored

OrangeChuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk’n Gladiator
Following this thread ... I’m located in both Norfolk and NJ, so I’m through the DelMarVa routinely. I’ll keep my eye open, but looking for any good suggestions too.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Good luck. And seriously not being a dick, there's just no wheeling here because it's all private land or federal land with gates on anything looking like a dirt road. If you want to shoot down 81 there's Flagpole and Peter's Mill which are both pretty easy going. Green Ridge SF in MD is a couple hours away but it's mostly just rough dirt roads at the most difficult end. PA has some options as well but not super familiar other than roads I've randomly been down while exploring.

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Following this thread ... I’m located in both Norfolk and NJ, so I’m through the DelMarVa routinely. I’ll keep my eye open, but looking for any good suggestions too.
Honestly if your going from Jersey to Va - you have the Pine barrens - Great legal trails that are fun to explore. Stay on the trails and shouldnt have any issues.

To the overall post - Big challenge here is irresponsible people - they read / hear about a trail and its spread out every where and abused. Honestly best if you find a local club / group and explore with them. Our resources are under pressure on the East Coast all the time. Hope you find a place to take the kids out - good luck

zuke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 JKU, 2006 TJ, 2021 Bronco BL
As LostWoods stated, most all the legal wheeling close to NoVa is along I81 in the National Forest, there are also a couple Private Parks near Winchester, Chaos ORP near Capon Bridge, WV and Bigdogs Offroad events at The Cove Campground in gore, there are a few Parks in Southern PA too, Rausch Creek and AOAA. Pretty much everything is closed right now due to world events, although Flag Pole, Being a National Forest Road is still open, but my understanding is it's been fairly crowded because of that.

Join the forums at www.novajeepers.com to get an idea of where people are going and when.

Sponsored

Roguesalt

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thought Provoker
Vehicle Showcase
Plenty of things south of innerstate 81.

sail2xxs

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon M/T
Occupation
Govt
I took three of my four girls to Switzer Lake/Skidmore Fork/Dunkle Hollow/Flagpole Knob and Union Springs on Monday. This is off Route 33 West from Harrisonburg VA. It started raining heavily just as the trail got interesting - we didn't bump into anyone out there.
Sponsored