Sponsored

Back Up Camera Brightness UPDATE: RECALL FIXED IT

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
The back up camera is one of the best cameras I have used, crisp and hight resolution. But why does the backup camera revert to MAX BRIGHTNESS and override the set brightness by the scroll wheel? This is an easy software fix and does not make any sense. It literally blinds you every time you throw it in reverse and ruins your night vision. Hell, I'd get a tazer just to fix this.

@JeepCares ?

UPDATE. The latest recall (w35) fixes the camera brightness. It does not scale with the dial but it does drop down the brightness a noticeable amount when you do not have the gauge cluster set to the highest amount.

They did not have the update visible when they hooked it up to their ipad but when they entered the vin via their computer they were able to see one was available.

It took about 1.5 hours to push the update and works great now.

Also, the icon has changed.

image000000_02-gif.gif

img_20200422_193203-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
The back up camera is one of the best cameras I have used, crisp and hight resolution. But why does the backup camera revert to MAX BRIGHTNESS and override the set brightness by the scroll wheel? This is an easy software fix and does not make any sense. It literally blinds you every time you throw it in reverse and ruins your night vision. Hell, I'd get a tazer just to fix this.

@JeepCares ?
Hi,
I'm sorry to hear this. Have you tried adjusting the brightness level with the dial to the left of your steering wheel?

Alison
JeepCares

OP
OP
FL Handle Guy

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
Hi,
I'm sorry to hear this. Have you tried adjusting the brightness level with the dial to the left of your steering wheel?

Alison
JeepCares
I have, the dial adjusts the brightness when the lights are on durning all other use (radio, nav, etc) but once the back up camera turns on it goes to max brightness regardless of what its set to. It will then return to whatever the dial is set at after the camera turns off.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
I have, the dial adjusts the brightness when the lights are on durning all other use (radio, nav, etc) but once the back up camera turns on it goes to max brightness regardless of what its set to. It will then return to whatever the dial is set at after the camera turns off.
Dear JeepCares,

The aforementioned issue of the backup camera reverting to max brightness when selecting reverse at night/with headlights on is by design and has been thrashed multiple times on this forum. It is a safety issue and hopefully jeep issues an update fixing this before someone gets injured or worse. I'd like to think this was an oversight but if intentional whomever signed off on this must be visually challenged. JeepCares, let's get this fixed!
Hi,
I'm sorry to hear this. I would be happy to get a case open for you to document this concern. If this would be of interest, please follow up with us via private message at your earliest convenience.

Alison
JeepCares

OP
OP
FL Handle Guy

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
UPDATE. The latest recall fixes the camera brightness. It does not scale with the dial but it does drop down the brightness a noticeable amount when you do not have the gauge cluster set to the highest amount.

They did not have the update visible when they hooked it up to their ipad but when they entered the vin via their computer they were able to see one was available.

It took about 1.5 hours to push the update and works great now.

Also, the icon has changed.

Jeep Gladiator Back Up Camera Brightness UPDATE: RECALL FIXED IT image000000_02

IMG_20200422_193203.jpg

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I keep hearing "recall" used in a context where it sounds like it's just a software update. Is there an actual active recall? I've only had my Gladiator for two weeks, so I assume it's got all the latest updates.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
OP
OP
FL Handle Guy

FL Handle Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubi
Well then, that would be welcome news. I do have an backup camera recall notice but it pertains to the backup camera remaining on for about 10 seconds after shifting out of reverse with no mention of the brightness issue. Is this the recall you are referring to? If so I'll have to get mine in for and update pronto.
Yup.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Well then, that would be welcome news. I do have an backup camera recall notice but it pertains to the backup camera remaining on for about 10 seconds after shifting out of reverse with no mention of the brightness issue. Is this the recall you are referring to? If so I'll have to get mine in for and update pronto.
Funny, my 2019 Porsche Cayenne S does exactly the same thing, stays on for about 10 seconds after shifting into drive. I always thought it was for the multiple times I forget things, I can see my wife running after me!

My BU camera icon already looks like that, so I may be fine.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
The Alpine head unit in my JKUR did that, and I really hated it. Glad to see this doesn't do it. Although when attaching a trailer, it could be useful. But I do that maybe once a month.

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
The Alpine head unit in my JKUR did that, and I really hated it. Glad to see this doesn't do it. Although when attaching a trailer, it could be useful. But I do that maybe once a month.
Plus, you could just turn the camera on and watch the trailer all day if you wanted to. The point being, you are in control, not some potentially faulty software.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
The 10 second delay -- that is where the backup camera continues to display even after you shift out of reverse -- is actually a feature and I use it every day. If you do not like that feature, you can turn it off in the camera settings. The recall addresses an issue where the delay is (much) longer than 10 seconds.

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
Seems like this is back. Backing up off road this weekend and the stupid screen blinded me so badly I couldn't use the passenger mirror. It didn't matter where the dimmer for the dash lights was. Every time I had to reverse I had my friend cover the screen.
Sponsored