Ira
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have still stock JTR w/MT tires and anything above 70mph...especially using cruise control puts me at 13-14

First vehicle ive had where I do better on MPG in town(~18-19) than on the highway(~13-14).
Hey Rafael, Nice to see a shout from someone in Oviedo. I am a UCF grad and owned a home off of McCulloch for a while... I have exactly the same experience with my JTR that both you and Wooderson are reporting. Next time I fill up, I am going to try a higher octane fuel and see what that does.
Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Hey Rafael, Nice to see a shout from someone in Oviedo. I am a UCF grad and owned a home off of McCulloch for a while... I have exactly the same experience with my JTR that both you and Wooderson are reporting. Next time I fill up, I am going to try a higher octane fuel and see what that does.
I did back to back to back tanks with Shell regular then super unleaded. Same back and forth route to work every day on both tanks. I saw zero improvement in mileage running super unleaded.

ids318

First Name
Ira
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I did back to back to back tanks with Shell regular then super unleaded. Same back and forth route to work every day on both tanks. I saw zero improvement in mileage running super unleaded.
Well, that makes me sad...

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Well, that makes me sad...
I was really hoping to see some improvement as I had a 2012 Chevy Cruze ECO that got a noticeable improvement in fuel economy with premium.

I drive for fuel efficiency. Ramp up to speed quickly then light on the throttle, coasting when possible. Highway speed for me is around 67 mph. My jeep is not lifted, has stock tires and wheels and I don't have the towing diff. The last 2 tanks I've averaged 23 mpg back and forth to work which is a combination of highway and through town. The only mod I've done to the drive train is removing the center 2 mufflers and installing a Magnaflow muffler.

Sponsored

Deleted member 28614

I was on another thread about gas mileage and was watching this one. I have the Overland, completely stock for wheels, tires, suspension, just got off a 160 mile trip through the Adirondacks. I filled up at the onset, filled up again a mile from home, 21 and some change. I am not complaining, compared to my King Ranch I just sold, this is a VW Beetle. (Damn, did I just date myself or what)

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Not going to make a difference unless you retune your vehicle for the higher octane. I was running 93 in mine until I realized it only called for 87, just out of habit of running 93 in my BMW and mustang 5.0, I saw zero change between the 93 and 87, I almost want to say it idles a little better and is quieter running the 87. Just my experience

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
One thing that I have noticed over the last few weeks is actually getting higher MPG probably due to "cutting" gasoline with alcohol. That is one thing that has ever changed my MPG most. As I noted in my previous post when I got over highest MPG in my MJ, I should have added it was with alcohol free gasoline. I could drive to IL. to visit family with out filling up on gas but returning back to KY. I would have to refuel twice. I have seen the same thing with my LJ too. But at a 37-55 cent a gallon markup on alcohol free gasoline I cannot justify it other than for my boat gas and gas cans for storage. It seems that you can smell the difference between straight gasoline and gasoline with alcohol.
Upping the "anti-knock" 87 octane to 91-93 additives is for high performance aka normally high compression / advanced timing engine's.... IMHO. Hopefully one of the way more knowledgeable will educate me on this if I'm just off base or if not. I'm just someone with a few semesters of post H.S. education other than from life and world travels.

Last edited:

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
These numbers seem crazy low. I wonder if the Max tows are setup differently. One person on here and two I have talked to around my town are getting well over 19mpgs on trips, even when riding over 70 or 75, all with the Max tow package. Two lifted with 35's 1 stock. I'm not sure if I'm accurate or not about the setup but I'm getting 18.5 average in mine around town mostly driving and over 20 on trips over 300 miles round trip. Mine now has 2300 miles on it and it seems like the more I miles I get on it the better the mileage is getting.
Max tow has 4.10 gears, similar to the Rubicon. Otherwise the auto has 3.73 gears for fuel efficiency.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Max tow has 4.10 gears, similar to the Rubicon. Otherwise the auto has 3.73 gears for fuel efficiency.
I know that. That is why it seems crazy that most people are getting crazy low gas mileage in a Rubicon model. Both Max Tow and Rubicon have 4:10 gears. I can see the Regular Sports with 3:73 getting less gas mileage but why such the difference between a Max Tow and Rubicon.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
M/T vs. A/T tires vs. All-Seasons? Each model has the ability to be shipped from the factory with some variation of those. Air pressure would have an impact as well.

Those with horrible fuel economy should post up their specs to see if those with better are the same or different.

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
I know that. That is why it seems crazy that most people are getting crazy low gas mileage in a Rubicon model. Both Max Tow and Rubicon have 4:10 gears. I can see the Regular Sports with 3:73 getting less gas mileage but why such the difference between a Max Tow and Rubicon.
The Rubicon is a heavier vehicle by at least 200+lbs and equipped w/ larger tires in their stock form.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
M/T vs. A/T tires vs. All-Seasons? Each model has the ability to be shipped from the factory with some variation of those. Air pressure would have an impact as well.

Those with horrible fuel economy should post up their specs to see if those with better are the same or different.
Here's mine with pretty good fuel economy, 18.2mpgs average right now with 3400 miles. Max Tow with 315 70 17 BFG KO2 A/T tires and 2.5" ReadyLift SST Lift. Still have most of the aerodynamic plastic stuff installed.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
The Rubicon is a heavier vehicle by at least 200+lbs and equipped w/ larger tires in their stock form.
I'm running 35's and have 2.5" of lift on mine plus I've added Rubicon rails to mine. I would think I'm pretty close to a stock Rubicon in weight if not having more weight on mine with the added stuff. 200lbs is not going to make a 2-3mpg difference on a vehicle. That would like saying if I had 5 adults riding in the vehicle I would get 2 mpg less and I can tell you I have had 4 adults and a 5yr old in mine and the gas mileage stayed the same.
Sponsored