Sponsored

Bed Rack, Roof Rack, and RTT Recommendations Please

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
ETA: With the availability of JCR's new rack to accomodate a softopper I will be using that when it comes out

JTXBR_5.jpg

Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack, Roof Rack, and RTT Recommendations Please grxwm6lXQI35EoA0j2Co78ZxKSX&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1

Original Post:
I am looking into overlanding and need some suggestions as my searching isn't getting me where I need to be.

Ideally I'd like a bed-rack and roof-rack combination that could go together for added storage ability. I looked at the Fab Four combo, but the front part over the windshield just kills it for me.

Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack, Roof Rack, and RTT Recommendations Please fabfours-jtor-02-1-overland-rack-extension-2020-jt-4

I like the Maxium 3 roof rack as it allows the top to be taken off. But their Overland Rack isn't flush with the roof rack. It sits about 2.5" higher according to the thread on it

Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack, Roof Rack, and RTT Recommendations Please 20200312_153742-

I'm looking at Roof-Top Tents. So many options. The CVT Mt. Shasta with extension looks nice though it's only a 2 person. Does it take a long time to set up and take down? That is perhaps the biggest consideration for my choice in tent, that and it needs to sleep at least 3, maybe 4 (me wife and infant so far. but I eventually want this to be suited for a family of 5)

Also, looks like no matter who I go with I'll be spending $5500 on this setup? $1500 for bed rack, $1000 for roof rack, $3000 for tent. Ballpark. And the weight will be what, 500lbs? 200-250lbs for tent, 150-200lbs for bed rack, 100-150lbs for roof rack.

ETA: I am thinking about going with the JCR full bed rack and half roof-rack. Does anyone know the static weight capacity? Dynamic on-road capacity is 500lbs so off-road should be half that, and static should be 3x that?

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JTBR.html
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JTRK.html

Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack, Roof Rack, and RTT Recommendations Please JTBR_1

Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack, Roof Rack, and RTT Recommendations Please JTRK_9

Of course the best option would be a Leitner Forged rack with its 1400lbs static capacity, 800lb dynamic on-road, and 400lbs dynamic off-road capacities! But it is the most expensive and hardest to install

https://www.leitnerdesigns.com/prod...go-system-rjr6l-za5tb-c9hda-cy93l-h3sap-gzrwt

Jeep Gladiator Bed Rack, Roof Rack, and RTT Recommendations Please 1_AUTO_MAKER_LOGOS_SQUARE_SHOPIFY_FORGED_1_6d9a2493-f38b-43b1-bfd4-d77b14655ce7_720x

_nc_ohc=YGzyCpGhlssAX9sBMjO&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
So I have a partial solution, not sure if it is at all what youre looking for. I used voodoo crossmembers for my bed rack. The crossmembers are removable for tall items and the tent is low profile while leaving the bed open for gear and allowing my cover to roll up. You could add a roof rack after if thats still a goal.
JT rear angle done.jpg

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I have a partial solution, not sure if it is at all what youre looking for. I used voodoo crossmembers for my bed rack. The crossmembers are removable for tall items and the tent is low profile while leaving the bed open for gear and allowing my cover to roll up. You could add a roof rack after if thats still a goal.
JT rear angle done.jpg
thank you for the suggestion.

I would like the rack to be higher to keep the rear-view relatively clear. The goal is to keep items in the bed, under the tonneau cover, and the rtt on the rack, so that it is as level as possible with gear kept on the roof rack.

My poor JT is gonna feel so weighted down

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Got ya, yea she'll feel a little tippy moving the COG up. Just be extra careful if you disconnect the swaybar. If I see anything I'll do my best to remember this thread.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
Looking at the first photo, I dont understand how you can have a rack bolted to the bed AND the body, considering the two move independently of each other.

First Name
Wayde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If you are looking for a rack that fits with a tonneau cover your going to be pretty limited right now as they are not a lot available. From my research I found https://www.max-modular.com to be the one of the only companies that makes a full height rack that fits with a tonneau cover. If you are looking to sleep a family of 4 I would really look into the iKamper style tents (Tuff stuff, M.I.A., Roofnest, and many others make this style tent for a more reasonable price.). For the reason that they are really easy to set up compared to a traditional rooftop tent. They also displace the weight better, which is really helpful when you have the tent up in the air.

I have a tepui kukenam which is claimed to be a three person tent. In reality it fits two people comfortably and maybe a small dog. I have enjoyed it quite a bit and would say it is worth the money. I have always had the tent mounted low so I cannot speak as to how it feels to have a tent above the cab. I went with the Ace engineering upper decker. This was due to the fact that it keeps the tent lower, provides secure storage in the bed, has a cargo tray on top for more storage, and is really modular. The only downside to it is you can't really mount a full size hardshell tent like the iKamper I mentioned. You have the get the smaller versions that max out at 60" wide which at most would fit two adults and a small child/infant.

One thing to consider with a roof rack is the height of the vehicle. If you life your gladiator and put 35's or 37's on it, it gets to be a pretty tall vehicle. Anything that you put on the roof rack will become difficult to access especially if it is any heavy items.

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think for under $2k you can get a custom rack fabbed up and get exactly what you want out of it. That is exactly what I did. Also it can be done out of aluminum and significantly reduce the weight. My rack weights like maybe 70 pounds max.
My rack may not be the direction you are going but posted it to show that a fabbed rack can look just as nice as the production racks.
This RTT is the iKamper skycamp. I think it measures 60"Ă—84" closed. It's a good size tent.

20200121_134150.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Working down the list to see what combos might work for this summer

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Cmajul

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
If you are looking for a rack that fits with a tonneau cover your going to be pretty limited right now as they are not a lot available. From my research I found https://www.max-modular.com to be the one of the only companies that makes a full height rack that fits with a tonneau cover. If you are looking to sleep a family of 4 I would really look into the iKamper style tents (Tuff stuff, M.I.A., Roofnest, and many others make this style tent for a more reasonable price.). For the reason that they are really easy to set up compared to a traditional rooftop tent. They also displace the weight better, which is really helpful when you have the tent up in the air.

I have a tepui kukenam which is claimed to be a three person tent. In reality it fits two people comfortably and maybe a small dog. I have enjoyed it quite a bit and would say it is worth the money. I have always had the tent mounted low so I cannot speak as to how it feels to have a tent above the cab. I went with the Ace engineering upper decker. This was due to the fact that it keeps the tent lower, provides secure storage in the bed, has a cargo tray on top for more storage, and is really modular. The only downside to it is you can't really mount a full size hardshell tent like the iKamper I mentioned. You have the get the smaller versions that max out at 60" wide which at most would fit two adults and a small child/infant.

One thing to consider with a roof rack is the height of the vehicle. If you life your gladiator and put 35's or 37's on it, it gets to be a pretty tall vehicle. Anything that you put on the roof rack will become difficult to access especially if it is any heavy items.
Just came across this, I was hoping to get the ACE engineering Upper Deck and use the Roam Adventure VagaBond XL. Curious if this is possible or not.

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
Not sure what your budget is, but I approached my process asking similar questions. Eventually what I wound up with is:

• Nuthouse Industries full-height rack (can also be made with removable cross-members) - aluminum, light weight, has lots of additional storage and can be fully customized with lighting, etc.
  • IKamper Skycamp 2.0 RTT - as the member above posted, it’s an amazing tent with huge amounts of room. Sets up in about 2 minutes, takes down in about 3.

Photo below of the setup:

7FF52454-C77F-4683-B5E0-BADE05B15BFE.jpeg

CADB4545-39F4-44C5-A982-F6E13618410A.jpeg

CCCVagabond

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JTR
Has anybody purchased the Fab Four overland rack with extension? It does have a more basic A pillar front mount (not just the armor version), but like someone else mentioned, how does it work if the truck bed articulates or flexes? I really like the idea, but unsure how it will work.
Sponsored