Steel 3 piece bumper skid plate(s) -UPDATED now with happy ending

Gladiatorsurfergirl

First Name
Nikki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stingray Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
This is the bracket I found online that seems to be what is needed for steel skid plate.

https://www.moparoneonline.com/oem-parts/mopar-bracket-skid-plate-68353836ab

Also attached is a picture of the bracket that came with my rubicon as standard. They are different and the holes on the standard bracket don’t line up with the steel skid plate. You can see the original bracket only has one attach point for the skid plate, while the new bracket has two. It also mounted at a different angle.

So although my installation works by bolting directly to frame, I’m actually only using one of those holes by not having the new bracket. It feels secure enough, but I’ll probably end up ordering it anyway.

412258B2-9647-41E0-96A4-B04067A3D19E.jpeg

35BAAFBC-5E0E-40A1-915D-C56FDF8E08CC.jpeg

1638E80A-0709-466C-B43B-6B5076237076.jpeg
Did you end up ordering these brackets? Were they the right one's? Thanks.
Sponsored

Gladiatorsurfergirl

First Name
Nikki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@bgenlvtex Did you ever end up discovering if extra brackets were needed? Or if the brackets shown above were the brackets you were initially looking for? Seems like you, and a couple others were able to install the skid plate and filler panel without it. So, I'm just ordering the skid plate, filler panel, and 5 screws. Hopefully that will do it! :)

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
@bgenlvtex Did you ever end up discovering if extra brackets were needed? Or if the brackets shown above were the brackets you were initially looking for? Seems like you, and a couple others were able to install the skid plate and filler panel without it. So, I'm just ordering the skid plate, filler panel, and 5 screws. Hopefully that will do it! :)
For the skid plate to be functional, you will need the rear mounts, which came installed with your factory skid, and the 2 bolts that connect it to the skid plate.

You can install without it, but in the event you ever actually need it, it will fold up like a Chinese lawn chair at a Weight Watchers meeting.

Gladiatorsurfergirl

First Name
Nikki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the skid plate to be functional, you will need the rear mounts, which came installed with your factory skid, and the 2 bolts that connect it to the skid plate.

You can install without it, but in the event you ever actually need it, it will fold up like a Chinese lawn chair at a Weight Watchers meeting.
haha. But I don’t need these brackets anymore, right? These are the ones for the PPOS skid plate.

34ECF63E-58CA-455B-B6AC-8591BC32F771.jpeg

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
haha. But I don’t need these brackets anymore, right? These are the ones for the PPOS skid plate.

34ECF63E-58CA-455B-B6AC-8591BC32F771.jpeg
Those look to be the forward mounts for the skid plate that is supplied with the PPOS yes.

If you are going to install the correct skid plate for the steel bumper, those mounts will not be needed.

ETA : the reason the forward mounts are not required (or even able to be used) is that the forward support is provided by connecting the skid plate to the bumper itself, rendering the need for the frame mounted forward support moot.

Sponsored

Gladiatorsurfergirl

First Name
Nikki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those look to be the forward mounts for the skid plate that is supplied with the PPOS yes.

If you are going to install the correct skid plate for the steel bumper, those mounts will not be needed.

ETA : the reason the forward mounts are not required (or even able to be used) is that the forward support is provided by connecting the skid plate to the bumper itself, rendering the need for the frame mounted forward support moot.
THANK YOU

Gladiatorsurfergirl

First Name
Nikki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I just installed the skid plate and closeout panel to the steel bumper on my JTR and wanted to provide a little update in case it might help someone in the future as much as this thread helped me. A) You do not need any extra brackets; B) the closeout panel I ordered from BAM Wholesale Parts requires 2 plastic push screw rivets for installation (that I got off of the underside of the PPOS bumper) which didn't come with the panel (so if you don't already have them you will need to order two; C) my skid plate required 7 of the 6509215AA Hex Head Screws (instead of 5) - and I did not need the other hex head bolts and coned washers at all (6104414AA) ... and finally, thank god, D) I didn't run into the same problem as @bgenlvtex and others I have read about that couldn't get the skid panel to line up with the bumper and frame without major maneuvering or drilling larger holes. Luckily for me the skid plate lined up perfectly with my bumper and the frame! So aside from having to order 2 more of the hex head screws it was a very easy installation.

Thanks to everyone on this thread!

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 BMW M5, 2023 Tesla M3
Occupation
Software Engineer
So I posted on another thread but I'm hoping that maybe someone can chime in regarding the swamping to the oem steel bumper. A bit about me I've had 2 prior jeeps JK, JL and now JT. Both JK and JL I upgraded to the oem steel bumper. Never had an issue with either, but with my JT I'm having all sorts of fitmen issues around the skid plate. I bought my oem steel bumper off of craigslist which the seller told me it was off his JL. He also provided the skid plate part number #68293984AB

Bumper install was a breeze! when it came to the skid plate ugh there was only 1 hole that lined up properly to the bumper. I didn't know I had to remove the old bracket that came with my JTR until someone pointed out that I needed to remove the bracket. I'm stumped on what I'm doing wrong or what I need. I'm hoping someone can spot whats going on?

qljakb9m.jpg

W2URZDLm.jpg

Suy0CWMm.jpg

Suy0CWMm.jpg

fEL6T9Im.jpg

Kgw5yIKm.jpg

UPT3mvMm.jpg

DFbcHf4m.jpg

a9d9iAnm.jpg

R3DBiBBm.jpg

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
So I posted on another thread but I'm hoping that maybe someone can chime in regarding the swamping to the oem steel bumper. A bit about me I've had 2 prior jeeps JK, JL and now JT. Both JK and JL I upgraded to the oem steel bumper. Never had an issue with either, but with my JT I'm having all sorts of fitmen issues around the skid plate. I bought my oem steel bumper off of craigslist which the seller told me it was off his JL. He also provided the skid plate part number #68293984AB

Bumper install was a breeze! when it came to the skid plate ugh there was only 1 hole that lined up properly to the bumper. I didn't know I had to remove the old bracket that came with my JTR until someone pointed out that I needed to remove the bracket. I'm stumped on what I'm doing wrong or what I need. I'm hoping someone can spot whats going on?

Jeep Gladiator Steel 3 piece bumper skid plate(s) -UPDATED now with happy ending R3DBiBBm

Jeep Gladiator Steel 3 piece bumper skid plate(s) -UPDATED now with happy ending R3DBiBBm

So did you buy another skid plate or is that the one that came with the plastic bumper?

Sponsored

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
So did you buy another skid plate or is that the one that came with the plastic bumper?
The skid plate you see pictured there is the skid plate for the steel bumper. Which is part number #68293984AB. As you can see it doesn't properly fit even after removing the front forwarding brackets. So i'm stumped on why this skid plate doesn't fit.

Could it be possible that there's 2 different skid plates for the steel bumper and I have the wrong one?

I see...
part number#82215183AB
part number#68293984AB

OP
OP
bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
The skid plate you see pictured there is the skid plate for the steel bumper. Which is part number #68293984AB. As you can see it doesn't properly fit even after removing the front forwarding brackets. So i'm stumped on why this skid plate doesn't fit.

Could it be possible that there's 2 different skid plates for the steel bumper and I have the wrong one?

I see...
part number#82215183AB
part number#68293984AB
There is only one skid plate that fits the steel bumper, but there are 2 steel skid plates.

I'm not in a spot to do a bunch of research but the number for the correct plate is earlier in this thread.

It looks like you have the wrong one regardless, like someone took the correct one out of the box and returned the one for a plastic bumper.

Sallaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
That looks like the steel bumper from a jk not the jl or jt... see how mine starts angling right below the trim plate that covers the winch opening... thise are also flatter around the tow hooks

6F658963-6D80-497F-B1C7-4CB563A938D7.jpeg

4E9854CB-3943-48D9-92F4-06C7F997ECA7.jpeg

E013ADC7-EFC2-41DE-9349-159457CDFF51.jpeg

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
That would make sense though, I bought this bumper from someone on craigslist. He threw in the skid plate but never told me if it was ever installed. I'll see if I can reach out to him and confirm. I'll see if I can get a part number from the bumper.

Last edited:

Sallaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
They are nice bumpers and i know people have used them on their jt.. would be worth starting a thread to find out what they used for a skid plate
Sponsored