Sponsored

Trailer Plug Hack

The Peripatetic Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Greetings all, I've been wondering if anyone has stumbled upon or has a working Trailer Plug (DIY, Blueprint, Plan, etc) for

the 7 PIN Connection Plug to a Trailer where it can be used to Charge a second 12v Battery? I've seen some vids on Youtube

about building one, but they're usually for a Chevy/Ford or other truck. I'm pretty sure it's a simple process of taking a new

plug (7pin) and using 12-16G wire, installing a 10amp fuse to the power side, and running a ground, I just wanted to known if

anyone has already done a project like this yet and if they wouldn't mind sharing tips, if there are complications, or if there's

a link, I thank you for any and all info. All the best
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Greetings all, I've been wondering if anyone has stumbled upon or has a working Trailer Plug (DIY, Blueprint, Plan, etc) for

the 7 PIN Connection Plug to a Trailer where it can be used to Charge a second 12v Battery? I've seen some vids on Youtube

about building one, but they're usually for a Chevy/Ford or other truck. I'm pretty sure it's a simple process of taking a new

plug (7pin) and using 12-16G wire, installing a 10amp fuse to the power side, and running a ground, I just wanted to known if

anyone has already done a project like this yet and if they wouldn't mind sharing tips, if there are complications, or if there's

a link, I thank you for any and all info. All the best
Using a 7-pin trailer plug is probably the easiest way to do it. There should be a hot and ground available in the plug.

Curt makes a T-harness that connects from the back. Only the trailer functions are available in the harness. The hot wire just passes through and is not tapped and available for use. I used one of these to get easy access to the reverse line for my back up lights.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQU/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_CWfEEbQ858AAN

OP
OP
The Peripatetic Cajun

The Peripatetic Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Using a 7-pin trailer plug is probably the easiest way to do it. There should be a hot and ground available in the plug.

Curt makes a T-harness that connects from the back. Only the trailer functions are available in the harness. The hot wire just passes through and is not tapped and available for use. I used one of these to get easy access to the reverse line for my back up lights.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQU/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_CWfEEbQ858AAN
Awesome, thanks!! I'll see what I can do later on today and check back. All the best

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Good thinking, one thing else to think about is if it's still getting power when your Jeep is not running. I found that to be a problem. I was towing my Scamp on trip to Florida for vacation, stopped overnight and didn't disconnect 7pin trailer wire, crash out for few hours. RV battery pulled power from LJ almost had to get a jump start in morning :headbang:
Sponsored