Sponsored

Your steering is not loose. Rant warning.

tedelman

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
So what is the dealer going to do to fix it?
I left NY before they could do any further investigation. I left in Oct for Ca. and am not home yet after being on the road in a RV. I'm stuck in NM till the virus thing slows down a bit. Safe here but RV'n isn't an easy thing to do traversing the states. The Jeep is the least of my troubles at this time
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
I left NY before they could do any further investigation. I left in Oct for Ca. and am not home yet after being on the road in a RV. I'm stuck in NM till the virus thing slows down a bit. Safe here but RV'n isn't an easy thing to do traversing the states. The Jeep is the least of my troubles at this time
Glad to hear you are safe. Please do keep us apprised what the dealer says once you get it back to their shop.

tedelman

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Arrived back to NY from Ca. Secondary battery shot. Replaced at local dealer. Gladiator's steering checked again. There were no comments on maintenance sheet - blown off again. Wife wants me to trade vehicle to older Wrangler, no way.

Pizziola29

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD Kevlar'd
Occupation
Self
Vehicle Showcase
Arrived back to NY from Ca. Secondary battery shot. Replaced at local dealer. Gladiator's steering checked again. There were no comments on maintenance sheet - blown off again. Wife wants me to trade vehicle to older Wrangler, no way.
How did you know the second battery was shot?

tedelman

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Arrived back to NY from Ca. Secondary battery shot. Replaced at local dealer. Gladiator's steering checked again. There were no comments on maintenance sheet - blown off again. Wife wants me to trade vehicle to older Wrangler.

Sponsored

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Looks like you got to watch Groundhog day on you adventures

HWKIGRL

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Gladiator Overland, 2” Mopar left. Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Small business owner
Just wondering, especially since this “rant” is from a forum representative, any apology coming now that there’s a TSB from Jeep specifically addressing the poor steering?

Essentially a single individual questioning the OPs knowledge meant that he assumed the rest of us having steering issues were by default ignorant a@@holes?

My steering IS loose! But after tomorrow when the dealer performs the “fix” from TSB...this post will be correct...no loose steering for me!!

Sponsored

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Just wondering, especially since this “rant” is from a forum representative, any apology coming now that there’s a TSB from Jeep specifically addressing the poor steering?

Essentially a single individual questioning the OPs knowledge meant that he assumed the rest of us having steering issues were by default ignorant a@@holes?

My steering IS loose! But after tomorrow when the dealer performs the “fix” from TSB...this post will be correct...no loose steering for me!!
Don't you know, 'it's a Jeep thing!'. What's that...you've driven other Jeeps? Pff, you still don't know what youre talking about!

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
My serv dept gave me every excuse u did until they drove it. U must work at a dealership/serv dept! 100%
I wonder if the opposite applies to Jeep service managers as sales managers needing to meet quotas. The battle to not do tsb jobs just seems odd. Couple that with pissing off $40 to 60k customers even more odd.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Wow. This is the definition of “This didn’t age well” :CWL:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the opposite applies to Jeep service managers as sales managers needing to meet quotas. The battle to not do tsb jobs just seems odd. Couple that with pissing off $40 to 60k customers even more odd.
TSB jobs make the shop money. NOT that I advocate doing this stuff willy-nilly for a buck, but there's not a reason for a shop to not at least consider, look things over, and if they can't resolve it by finding and fixing loose parts or bolts, damaged part or bolts, or wonky alignment, this is their way out and they get paid for it. It's no money out of the shop's coffers. The customer is complaining of an issue - deal with it - maybe before the TSB some less than knowledgable shop people would balk - no excuse now, though.
As some dealers like to suggest - the real money is in the shop work.
If it is, and if how you are treated AFTER the sale dictates whether or not you will come back to buy again - this all just flies in the face of logic.

I'm not a perfect tech - but I would like to think I am at least "ok" as a tech and troubleshooter.
I felt there was something going on, a feeling.
I saw a pattern here. And believable people speaking out. The poll showed current and former owners of OTHER non-IFS Jeeps felt something was wrong. At least 28 who responded.
A pattern was in place.

|I don't know if I ever finished my bit on tire pressure months and month ago -
Engineers would know that you CAN weigh your Jeep with a tire pressure gauge, some paper, pencil and a ruler. (and some math in your head) AND it also supports my contentions on tire pressures.
PSI is pounds per square inch of pressure - force on an area.
40 psi means 40 pounds of pressure on every square inch.
That means that every square inch will support 40 pounds.
Arrange stiff paper around the tires - large pieces work best. One on the inside, the other on the outside, and one in front and one behind each tire. Make sure they overlap. Make marks so you can pull the paper away from the tires and arrange them back together away from the tires.
You'll have an open square when you put them back together - where the paper could not get under the tire. That's that tire's foot print on the ground.
Now measure that square.
Take the square inches and take that times the pressure in the tire.
Let's keep it simple and say each square ends up being 31.25 square inches - your vehicle is perfectly balanced and every tire has the same pressure, just for kicks.
Take that 31.25 times the PSI of that tire - say it's 40 psi.
40 psi - pounds per square inch of pressure in the tire times the square inches is 1250.
Add the 4 figures together and you get what - 5,000?
That's roughly what your truck would weigh.
IF you inflate the tires more - you decrease the foot print but STILL the PSI in the tire times the square inches of tire on the ground would equal that 1250 (unless your dog gets in the truck after you inflate the tires)
It's the EXACT same principal some of those trailer tongue weight scales work on!
There's oil in a reservior, a pressure gauge, and a piston that measured 1 square inch at the face.
The trailer tongue weight pushes down on that piston and if the tongue weighs 500 pounds, agianst that 1 square inch piston, you read 500 psi on the gauge - easy. Those scales aren't magic or all that clever. It's basic hydraulics.

All that being said - it means for a tire with a LARGER width, a larger footprint, LOWER PSI is required to support the same vehicle.
For a skinny tire or one with a smaller normal footprint, you would raise the pressure to support the same weight. Lower pressure and what happens? The tire's footprint increases to compensate until it can support the weight.
It's not volume, it's pressure vs. footprint. That's what holds your truck up.

If you differ - please take it up with Bill Nye, my college professors (some are actually still alive although one ran off with the female student in the class behind us), my 8th grade science teacher and the books and college materials I have on tires. ;)

Any engineers who believe or see my terminology is off, please let me know! I hurry and sometimes mess up. I'm always in 10th gear, or maximum warp.
Sponsored