Sponsored

Longevity idea

Pk2abilene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Cherokee
My 6.7 had issues with DPF at 115k. Luckily I was able to delete it. I bought it to be able to haul a truck camper and horse trailer but it was primarily a daily driver. Even at highway speed, when unloaded, I doubt it was getting the workout it needed to stay healthy. My wife’s rover had DPF issues at 70k. Great car but is usually just a grocery getter around town. I’m sure in town stop and go was a major factor in its need for early replacement ($5k). Here’s the point. I’m thinking I’ll upgrade the tire size on my JT just to add some load to the engine. Keep it working a little harder. I only off-road when needed, don’t actively seek it out. Thoughts?
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
My 2015 Ram EcoDiesel needed the DEF injector replaced somewhere around 70,000 miles. It was replaced under the AEM Settlement warranty. I do think the DEF systems are getting better compared to the systems when they first came out, and that goes for all diesel auto manufacturers. With that said, most modern diesel engines have emissions issues that does hinder reliability and longevity. Through the last 10 years, we diesel community has learned that the best way to improve longevity (and reliability) is to disable the EGR. In some cases, people even disable the DEF system. There are layers of 'deleting' and some of those layers are easier for some and not for others. It boils down to your ethics, your state laws, and the cost of deleting. My 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is 100% bone stock with 84,000 miles on the odometer. Overall, I've had minimal issues.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Off topic but damn if I would have said 30 years ago that in the future people will be buying urine to put in DF vehicles I have been looked at and told I was crazy. a few of my friends have DF trucks, one loved his another has had stupid amount of problems with that part of it. The second uses his alot of miles and heavy trailers. He may not have the Def system on it anymore... Now no problems with it, a F350 size truck.;)

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The DEF system is very simple and usually trouble free. It is the DPF (diesel particulate filter) that historically caused all of the problems. There are two ways to deal with the NOx in a diesel engine. One is EGR which lowers the amount of oxygen in the combustion event thereby reducing NOx since the reduced amount of O2 is the limiting reagent in the combustion reaction. The main problem with this system is the soot produced from the excess diesel fuel that does not react. The second system is the diesel exhaust fluid approach. In this system the engine is tuned for power and efficiency without regard to NOx production. Since the diesel fuel is the limiting reagent in the reaction soot is greatly reduced.

The SCR approach became the method of choice for NOx reduction after all engines across all manufacturers had huge problems with the large amounts of soot that would collect in the DPF. SCR reduces the soot and adds to the longevity of your DPF. The problem that many Diesel engine owners face is the fact that they do not “work the engine hard enough” to reach the optimum operating parameters. I’m not talking about heavy loads necessarily but short trips where the engine doesn’t reach operating temperature for long enough periods to go into open loop tuning.

Off roaring your diesel JT or JL will be a huge headache. The slow speed mostly idle speeds will cause many early failures of the DPF. Torque is a nice thing but for off roading get your torque from your gearing and not your modern diesel engine. Use your diesel JT for towing your camper and long road trips and you’ll be much more satisfied with your experience.

PapaHepcat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Chevy Suburban 2500, 2014 Honda CR-V, 2012 Toyota Prius C (yeah, I know)
Use your diesel JT for towing your camper and long road trips and you’ll be much more satisfied with your experience.
Thanks for this. My desire for a diesel JT is for a 30 minute commute over country roads and pulling our camper, so this is encouraging to me.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Off roaring your diesel JT or JL will be a huge headache. The slow speed mostly idle speeds will cause many early failures of the DPF.
Do you have any facts to support your claim? From what I have seen and experienced, I don't think this is true. I do a lot of idle speeds on my 2015 EcoDiesel and haven't had any problems with my DPF. I've seen a few DPF failures on the forums, and many of those are from people who do a lot of towing. But I've also seen proof that a fuel additive (Hot Shot's Secret Diesel Extreme) can restore a failed DPF that dealers have deemed irreversible. When I used Diesel Extreme, it cut back on my regens tremendously. It's an additive that you don't use very often, but the stuff is amazing. I use Diesel Extreme once every 6 months.

Knowing how to maintain your fuel system and emissions system is more important than how you use your vehicle.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Yes I have both personal experience in my 2008 F350 with the 6.4 and my F550 with the 6.7. Plus I read a lot. Not forums but industry white papers and other research. Every single time I let my 6.4 idle for a while it would require a regen because it wasn’t running hot enough to consume all of the fuel. The 6.7 was better but still had a 15 minute idle shutdown.

The research is out there for anyone who wants to learn about modern diesel emissions.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Yes I have both personal experience in my 2008 F350 with the 6.4 and my F550 with the 6.7.
Your 2008 is not a modern diesel, so that is irrelevant. Does your 6.7L use DEF?

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The 6.4 Powerstroke was indeed the first generation of the modern diesel emission standards. All 6.7 Ford diesels is DEF. I also had a 2007 F450 with the 6.0 but didn’t include it in the conversation since it was a pre-2008 emissions truck.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Every single engine manufacturer of on-road diesel engines use DEF now. The only one who didn’t was International in their Maxx Force line and it almost bankrupted the company. The articles speak specifically to my statement on slow stop and go driving or off road type of driving where the engine doesn’t reach proper EGT to burn fuel efficiently.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I’m not arguing against diesel engines. I really do love them but the emissions requirements limit them to a much more narrow use that before 2008. I am strongly considering a diesel Wrangler as my daily driver because I have accepted a job working for the Department of Defense that will require a 1 hour commute each way. That drive makes an ecodiesel an almost perfect engine for my needs.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The articles speak specifically to my statement on slow stop and go driving or off road type of driving where the engine doesn’t reach proper EGT to burn fuel efficiently.
The article doesn't discuss the new emissions system that uses DEF. Prior to DEF, the EGR was more active. Since DEF, the EGR is less active. There's a big difference in how the two systems operate and how they work under low RPM conditions. Jeep would not be putting the EcoDiesel in the Wrangler and Gladiator if they didn't believe it would be suitable for off-road/expedition driving.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
As I stated before every single engine manufacturer for on-road diesel engines use SCR. So those articles written in 2018 and 2016 are discussing the performance of engines with DEF. For SCR to be effective EGT has to be high enough to inactivate the EGR. At low EGT the SCR is ineffective so EGR must be used to control NOx. What is factually incorrect about anything I have stated? If I am interpreting to research wrong I’m a big enough man to change my thinking. But I’m pretty sure I understand the emission systems quite well.
Sponsored