Sponsored

Do we know when the Ecodiesel will be released?

Schreconjeep

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 StingGray JTRD, '09 Prius, '15 Odyssey
Man, I feel your pain. I sold my Prius this last summer and got a Tundra (while I wait to see how the JT diesel’s reliability holds up). Whew! Tundra is MUCH better.
Since we all collectively went down the Prius rabbit hole together to take our minds off the excruciating waiting and uncertainty....I'll play along.
I sold my baby 2006 Ram 1500 HEMI for a used 2009 Prius (OUCH) but I commute and the damn thing gets 50+ mpg so I can't argue with that. I saved the entire value of the car ($10k) in 3 years in fuel alone.
20150711_151525.jpg

Then we bought a camper so I bought my Dad's old Cummins 12valve. So good to have a truck again. Future plans are to sell the Cummins, but the Gladdy with the big D and keep the commuter car until it quits on the beltway, I set it on fire and piss on the ashes.
IMG_8629.jpg
Sponsored

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Do we think the diesel version would have the whistle from the air coming in if Turbo equipped? Or is that not applicable here? Just curious.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Do we think the diesel version would have the whistle from the air coming in if Turbo equipped? Or is that not applicable here? Just curious.
I have a 2020 diesel JLU, the engine is more quiet than the 2016 GC diesel I had. Almost too quiet.
I wonder if a short snorkel would 'let a little noise out'

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I have a 2020 diesel JLU, the engine is more quiet than the 2016 GC diesel I had. Almost too quiet.
I wonder if a short snorkel would 'let a little noise out'
It's way too quiet in the Ram also. As soon as CAIs are available I'm getting one. Not for performance, but so that I can actually hear what the engine is doing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
The whistle comes from turbo spool. The factory designs the air intake to maximize the turbo's efficiency and to reduce sound. For example, my 2006 Cummins had directional fins that made the air go straight into the turbo instead of swirling air into the turbo. The purpose is to reduce drag on the compressor wheel and make the turbo more efficient. Also, my 2006 Cummins had a silencer ring. People would sometimes remove the silencer ring to make the turbo louder.

Personally, I would leave the factory cold air intake alone unless there was a proven design that improved efficiency.

Gymguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hydro Blue Unlimited Rubicon
Has anyone heard anything more on a release date?

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Has anyone heard anything more on a release date?
Trust me, this section of the forum will blowup when the first shred of news breaks. There's no need to keep asking, just keep checking in!

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Trust me, this section of the forum will blowup when the first shred of news breaks. There's no need to keep asking, just keep checking in!
Who knows anything the way the world is turning right now. Things are so "up in the air" now that I doubt Jeep could even tell you when things will happen. I have a saying that I like, "God only knows and He's not talking." So All we can do is wait.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Who knows anything the way the world is turning right now. Things are so "up in the air" now that I doubt Jeep could even tell you when things will happen. I have a saying that I like, "God only knows and He's not talking." So All we can do is wait.
This is what Ram sent me last week regarding my 2020 EcoDiesel:

"Thank you for your recent Ram 1500 2020 vehicle order. We are doing everything to ensure your vehicle gets to you as fast as possible, but would like to note that there may be delays in the processing or delivery of your new vehicle, due to the implementation of safety protocols at all of our manufacturing plants and production facilities.

For the latest details, please feel free to contact your dealer, or call us at 866–726–4636.

To make things easier and for your reference, here is your order number xxxxxxxx."

My order was submitted about two weeks before FCA closed their plants. I'm stuck in "D" status for the time being, but at least Ram is communicating. I sure hope the truck arrives in time for the 0% interest and no payments for the first 90 days.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Chief engineer said in an interview today that "we hope to have it out later this calendar year". So, at least there is confirmation that they are in fact still planning to offer it.

OP
OP
biodiesel

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Chief engineer said in an interview today that "we hope to have it out later this calendar year". So, at least there is confirmation that they are in fact still planning to offer it.
That's great news!

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a link to that interview you can share?

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
During the live steam forum today, the Jeep Brand VP reiterated “by the end of this year.” He also said they had not done a good job lining up enough parts for the Wrangler roll out (he said something about competition for parts within the company) and it had taken too long to get the orders built. That said, he asserted that almost all of the customer orders for diesels had shipped before the shutdown and that people who had ordered a diesel Wrangler should have them soon if they don’t have them now. If they have satisfied that “I have been waiting for years for this” demand rush for the Wrangler, that makes me feel a bit better about the prospects for the JT this year, subject to COVID.
Sponsored