Sponsored

Just Installed the Fox Steering Stabilizer. All I can say is WOW!

scuuuud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Abarth, 2017 WRX, 2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia
I was reading through the threads the other night and came across a thread regarding this stabilizer. I had written off my JTR steering wobble as just another "Jeep thing". Boy was I wrong. Before this mod, the car would randomly sway on its own. Dart side to side, and I would have to make constant corrections. It was fatiguing. This has made a significant difference! tracks straight, no wobble, no sway, steering feels much tighter too! Note, my car is a stock Rubicon. Those of you with bigger tires, lift, etc will have other gremlins to dial out.

I'll try to do a little writeup for those interested.

I ordered this off amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MLB2HBQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Part number: Fox 98524173 2.0. Theres a cheaper 1.0 version but I went with the 2.0.

Price: 5/5. Was under $200 for such a big difference. I know this is subjective but it was a good deal IMO

Appearance/quality: 5/5. machined aluminum with a brushed finish. Solid ends and rubber bushings with metal sleeves.

Installation: 5/5. Took about 5 minutes. It took longer for my compressor to fill up than the entire install, I ended up using hand tools for it.

Tools required: 19mm socket and driver, torque wrench, large screw driver, rubber mallet (optional)

Installation Instructions:

1. Park your jeep and pull the E-Brake.

2. Take a photo of your original shock noting the orientation of the upper and lower mount. I've attached a basic diagram showing which mount is which.

3. Use the driver to remove the nuts holding the shock on. The drivers side nut has a tab behind it which you can use. Be careful of pinching, the tab can pinch you. The driver side bolt is a carriage bolt, it has a square shoulder to prevent it from spinning. You will need to put your hand on the head of this bolt and apply pressure to keep the square of the bolt seated and prevented from spinning.

4. Remove both bolts quickly, the shock will slowly decompress making the bolts a bit harder to remove. This is where the mallet comes in handy

5. unwrap and "prime" the Fox shock. Priming means slowly moving the piston in and out 3-4 times the entire length of travel.

6. I found it easy to lay the old shock beside the new and compress the Fox shock to match the approximate length and eye rotation.

7. Moving quickly, install the upper mount in first, then mount the lower mount.

8. Install the carriage bolt from the top down and hand thread the nut on.

9. If the shaft of the upper shock mount has misaligned, use your screwdriver to pry shock closed to make the holes concentric. If the screwdriver can't be inserted into the hole, you can pry it against the head of the upper shock mount. If all else fails, use your big ol bicep muscles to weasel it over.

10. Once holes are aligned, install the bolt almost all the way in, leaving room for the nut behind it.

11. Hand tighten the bolt against the nut, making sure to hold the tab and being careful not to get pinched.

12. Torque all bolts to 50-in/lb.

13. Hop in and take a test drive. You'll immediately feel a stiffer/tighter feel to the wheel. Your ride should be much more sturdy and wobble free.

Hope this helps!

IMG_5836.JPG

IMG_5837.JPG

IMG_5838.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_5840.JPG

IMG_5841.JPG

IMG_5842.JPG

s.png
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'll probably order one soon. Just because I'm fixing to install 37x13.50r20's this week on some wide 20x10's with -24 offset. Will probably need the extra dampening to smooth out the tracking and prevent wandering.

OP
OP
scuuuud

scuuuud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Abarth, 2017 WRX, 2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia
Move it up above the axle with a relocation bracket if youā€™re going to take it off road. Donā€™t want to damage a beautiful $200 steering stabilizer!
Is there one you recommend or have a link to? I hear curry thrown around. I remember doing it to my TJ about a decade ago but most of my memories from that time of my life have been purged

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Is there one you recommend or have a link to? I hear curry thrown around. I remember doing it to my TJ about a decade ago but most of my memories from that time of my life have been purged
Metalcloak, Synergy, or Clayton right now. Yeti has an axle-side bracket, but I havenā€™t seen that they have a tie rod clamp for factory steering parts.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Fox has one that clamps on above the tie rod...
I just ordered one today from Northridge 4x4. Used the code LABOR and got 20% off with free shipping. $135 plus Indiana tax so $145.50 seemed like a good deal. Hope it does the trick!
Which part number? The IFP or TS model?

Sponsored

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
I have one to install on my Gladiator along with the Synergy heavy duty tie rod and relocation bracket. Everyone reports that they make a significant difference

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I installed the IFP on my stock Overland last week. HUGE difference. No more wandering on the hwy and the steering feels better weighted and more responsive. I think its the same one listed above, I don't remember the model number off hand.

Incommando

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sport max tow Sting-gray, ā€˜95 YJ
BryanG said:
IFP model FOX985-24-173
Looks like this one requires 1,5ā€ of lift?