Sponsored

Custom ALuminum slide in camper. Vagabond Vault

Dubs Chops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator Rubicon
Hey guys and gals,

Quick backstory, Me and my son love exploring backroads and camping/fishing. We had started a youtube channel about a year ago to spend time together, (I film and do the lion share of the work and he edits the videos.) We had a 1983 toyota 4x4 deluxe with an 8' bed and a factory Brahma camper that was awesome for camping in. Well it was just a little to short in the cab and I'd get pretty cramped on longer drives.

fast forward to now and we have a gladiator Rubicon, Problem was the bed was too short to camp in and be able to be enclosed. (I Don't like tents) I have trouble sleeping when a bear or drugged out meth head lurking in the woods are only a piece of cloth away from my head. Hence we like hard sided campers.

We designed and drew up our camper in sketchup and then had a friend make us a cut list. Decided the first step was to build it out of cardboard before spending $1400 on aluminum. Here is the first video in the series. Please subscribe if it even remotely interests you all.

Sponsored

Last edited:

madduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator JT, '77 SJ: Cherokee Chief, '06 LJ
Occupation
High Speed Al tubing manager
cool project.
how much will this weigh fully stocked?
are you modifying the suspension?

OP
OP

Dubs Chops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator Rubicon
cool project.
how much will this weigh fully stocked?
are you modifying the suspension?
I will be adding the AEV 2" lift when its availible. However this should only weigh about 550-700# fully loaded depending on how much gear your bringing.

OP
OP

Dubs Chops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator Rubicon
OK, Finally took a minute to get the second video in the gladiator camper build put up. Hope you all subscribe because the actual aluminum version starts SOON!

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Super cool! I'll be following along with this build; looks like fun times for you and Jack. :like:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like it will be great one and project for you and assistant. :like: Have you thought about having the top plate of AL. bent in a brake if you haven't already cut? Sheet size depending might save some welding time. Another thing is you might need to do P.P. the design.

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great! Kids and I watched the video last night and throughly enjoyed it

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Looking forward to the next video! It looks like you two are having a blast; I have fond memories of working with my Dad in the garage, and my Grandfather is his workshop, so I'm sure those you're creating now will last a lifetime for Jack. :like:

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet! I was thinking the whole time about how I would get some ratchet straps and make a hoist to pull It out! haha
Sponsored