First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Billet LEJT.
Occupation
I build wheels.
Looks great man. Thoughts on the ride quality before and after?

OP
OP
Usethis83

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Andy. I only had 400 miles on the stock suspension, so I do not have a real good baseline. I can say that so far I have liked the ride and handling of the suspension related parts. It is tight, but not jarring or stiff. Jury is still out on the balancing beads. It is butter smooth till about 50+ then it has a little shake in the wheel...maybe the beads cant keep up at a certain threshold......?

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Billet LEJT.
Occupation
I build wheels.
Does it go away any time after 50+?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Usethis83

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Also, for the spare tire folks, the 37 BFG KM3 on the 17x8.5 wheel does fit. I shoved it as far as it would go to the hitch and heat shield to get as much clearance to the rear track bar. There is about 1/2" clearance to the track bar at full pressure.
Jeep Gladiator Usethis83 Gobi Rubicon Project 20200703_121409

Jeep Gladiator Usethis83 Gobi Rubicon Project 20200703_121428

Jeep Gladiator Usethis83 Gobi Rubicon Project 20200703_121354

OP
OP
Usethis83

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Does it go away any time after 50+?
Not yet, but I have only had it to ~60 and experienced it all the way through ~50 to ~60. Tomorrow I will hit the highway and see if it levels out at some point. I have never tried the beads before so I have no idea what is to be expected either.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Billet LEJT.
Occupation
I build wheels.
Not yet, but I have only had it to ~60 and experienced it all the way through ~50 to ~60. Tomorrow I will hit the highway and see if it levels out at some point. I have never tried the beads before so I have no idea what is to be expected either.
It should balance out exactly like traditional media. So you shouldn't feel any wobbles.

If the wobble goes away above 60mph then there might be some different items to check out. The balance on the wheel and tire combo probably isn't correct which is why you feel it from 50-60mph.

There are always some weak spots in Jeep suspension and steering geometry that make the 45-60mph range wobble worse than other times. If you experience the wobble above 60mph you'll take a different path than if it goes away.

What balance media did you use?

Have you tried measuring your caster angle?

Did you check the toe angle?

OP
OP
Usethis83

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It should balance out exactly like traditional media. So you shouldn't feel any wobbles.

If the wobble goes away above 60mph then there might be some different items to check out. The balance on the wheel and tire combo probably isn't correct which is why you feel it from 50-60mph.

There are always some weak spots in Jeep suspension and steering geometry that make the 45-60mph range wobble worse than other times. If you experience the wobble above 60mph you'll take a different path than if it goes away.

What balance media did you use?

Have you tried measuring your caster angle?

Did you check the toe angle?
Good to know about the beads. The media is the equal 8oz bag.

I should mention that I just got it off the jack stands and driven less than 10 miles total while I experienced this slight wobble. It was more of a function check than anything. I do have a synyrgy adjustable track bar and centered the front axle evenly (within 1/8") and re-centered my steering wheel. I have not had it to the alignment shop yet for toe adjustment. I will check where the toe is next time I have a second set of hands., but my plan is to get it aligned tomorrow or wed. No caster check yet either.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Billet LEJT.
Occupation
I build wheels.
I'd be interested to know what you find. Whoever does the alignment should be able to give you a print out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Usethis83

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be interested to know what you find. Whoever does the alignment should be able to give you a print out.
Stayed tuned. Thanks for the input Andy.
-Eric

JPARK60

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi JTR, 17 KTM 690 Enduro, 12 Grand Cherokee, 05 Cooper S, 03 Super Glide,
Occupation
Helo Maint.
Nice build! Welcome to the Gobi club.

Also, for the spare tire folks, the 37 BFG KM3 on the 17x8.5 wheel does fit. I shoved it as far as it would go to the hitch and heat shield to get as much clearance to the rear track bar. There is about 1/2" clearance to the track bar at full pressure.

OP
OP
Usethis83

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be interested to know what you find. Whoever does the alignment should Whoever does the alignment should be able to give you a print out.
Today I got it to highway speeds and the shimmy is felt at 48+ and amplifies with additional speed. It does not feel dangerous and nothing severe like death wobble, but it is annoying and I want it solid. It will go to the alignment shop tomorrow and although they cant adjust much, the report might confirm a caster issue due to arm length. I dont know yet. I cant imagine adjusting toe will correct this. We will see.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Billet LEJT.
Occupation
I build wheels.
Might be worth putting the rear axle on jack stands and seeing if the wheel and tire combos vibrate at different speeds. If you can get it up to 50mph you should be able to tell if it is the combo.

Do you feel the shimmy coming from one particular corner?

OP
OP
Usethis83

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Might be worth putting the rear axle on jack stands and seeing if the wheel and tire combos vibrate at different speeds. If you can get it up to 50mph you should be able to tell if it is the combo.

Do you feel the shimmy coming from one particular corner?
I though about swapping tires front to I rear to rule out tires. But I need the alignment data regardless.

I feel the shimmy evenly in the steering wheel. Not from a specific tire per se. It is faint at 38, more pronounced at 42 and then fairly noticable from then on as speed increases.
Also everything was torqued to spec with the vehicle on its weight. I adjusted my track bar and steering wheel.

I see some threads on alignment issues discussing the caster being a big culprit from stacking the spacers on the mopar lift. The mopar lift comes with longer lowers (theoretically to correct) and so I cant imagine a 3/4 spacer (really 1/2" considering the sag weight of winch and winch plate) making it wiggle so much more, unless the new LCAs were barely bring the 2" back in order. It tracks straight and rides good, no crazy bumpsteer....
Sponsored